1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, spent the day out in the garage. Well, part of the garage as the 31 is still taking up both stalls. Got the front end moved way back and I think I finally got the look right. If not, can't take much more out of it now. This time I took a whole 18" from the front. Between remaking the brackets and cutting 11" off of the hairpins. Only have a few things left and ill be ready to take it to another show this weekend. Gotta relocate my lower shock brackets, get a longer bolt for the passenger side tie rod, redo a brake line that I fubarred and now leaks, and bleed the brakes again. All in all, a good day in the garage.

Before, the first time I chopped a bit off of the front.

And now. Sorry if it's a bit blurry. That special time in the day where it's just right for pictures, NOT.

Had to cut a bit out of the original mounting pads to get the spring shackles to clear but it's not too much to where it'll distort the axle any.

And here you can see the clearance I have for the tie rod. Had to move it from on top of the arms to below and make 1-1/4" spacers for it to have enough clearance for the spring. Still need to bolt in the passenger side but it was enough of a bolt to move the car so I could set the caster. Caster is set at 8 degrees now. May even ride better since before it was at 6.

I haven't driven it yet. I started around 10am and got all cleaned up around 1130 pm.

Clearly I didn't read all of what you posted. Having taken 18" out of the front and 11" out of the hairpins, I would be very surprised if you don't notice a difference. At the very least, you'll have a tighter turning radius.

Do you have a rough idea of what the wheelbase is now?

Alright, got everything done and took her for a test cruise up and down highway 2. Drives like a whole new car. Front wheels don't lock up when I hit the brakes, you can actually feel it dip in the front now. Steers perfect, seams a little tight to the right but this axle always has even when it was just a roller. Still bounces a bit in the front but I'm sure that has to do with using a trailer spring instead of a car spring. All in all, I'm happy with it and I don't think I'll redo anything else for a while.

Wheelbase is about 130". So should have a way better turning radius.

Alright, got everything done and took her for a test cruise up and down highway 2. Drives like a whole new car. Front wheels don't lock up when I hit the brakes, you can actually feel it dip in the front now. Steers perfect, seams a little tight to the right but this axle always has even when it was just a roller. Still bounces a bit in the front but I'm sure that has to do with using a trailer spring instead of a car spring. All in all, I'm happy with it and I don't think I'll redo anything else for a while.

130", that's long! Should still be nice and smooth.

Sounds like it improved both the looks and the driving manners. Glad to hear it!

Thanks guys. It does look a helluva lot better now. I never did like the stretched front but it did the job until I could figure out a better way to do it. Only thing next to do is add another electric fan behind the radiator. At highway speeds it won't get above 150 but in traffic she'll puke a little. I'll mount the secondary fan on a toggle switch just for ease of installation.

On the bouncy front. Looks to be a lot of leafs in your spring.
Something as simple as taking every other leaf out, leaving four leafs, will make a big difference.

Spent the weekend out in Missoula for the car show and met an awesome group from Spokane, WA. Brought out some really cool cars one of which was a 28 Hudson 4 door(limousine) with Hemi power. Really should have taken pictures but my phone was dead by Saturday morning. Anyhow, made it into the top 13 again. So I've got a nice little collection of awards forming and by far my favorite is always the ones from this show. They're all hand made from car parts. Really wish there was more of a rat rod following up here so I could get a group to cruise down with us but it is what it is.

My award from this year.

And the collection starting.

I really do have to give everyone here a huge thanks because without your help, guidance, and support, I could have never built this car on my own. So really, all of the awards are for y'all also.

Latest posts

Back