1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under the floor master cylinders are my nemisis. There are always high spots that collect bubbles.

How are you bleeding them? I use a Mighty Mite hand squeeze vacuum pump. It gets the job done eventually. Is there a better way?

Under the floor master cylinders are my nemisis. There are always high spots that collect bubbles.

How are you bleeding them? I use a Mighty Mite hand squeeze vacuum pump. It gets the job done eventually. Is there a better way?

Solved the problem today, the booster/master combo is missing the intermediate rod so the pedal wasn't moving the master plunger more than 1/16" !!
I used a Might Vac and also made a pressure bleeding cap for the master before figuring it out. It seems that pressure bleeding is the best way, pro shops do it that way.

Got the engine started today!! Got a new starter to replace the dud one that came with the engine (why did I paint it?) and sorted out the plug wires. After barking up the wrong tree for a while I finally did it the tried and true way - stick a finger in #1 plug hole and crank the engine - when it blows your finger out you have TDC on #1. Distributor was 180 degrees off... (how many times have I done that???)
Pipes sound great, it was nice to have something go right...:D

Solved the problem today, the booster/master combo is missing the intermediate rod so the pedal wasn't moving the master plunger more than 1/16" !!
I used a Might Vac and also made a pressure bleeding cap for the master before figuring it out. It seems that pressure bleeding is the best way, pro shops do it that way.

Got the engine started today!! Got a new starter to replace the dud one that came with the engine (why did I paint it?) and sorted out the plug wires. After barking up the wrong tree for a while I finally did it the tried and true way - stick a finger in #1 plug hole and crank the engine - when it blows your finger out you have TDC on #1. Distributor was 180 degrees off... (how many times have I done that???)
Pipes sound great, it was nice to have something go right...:D
I used to just line up the mark on the pulley and drop the dizzy thinking I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. If it popped through the carb I'd just pull and rotate 180 degrees. Then after a few blown Holley power valves and some toasted eyebrows I learned it's far easier to just find TDC of the compression stroke.

I always have to run through my head what I am working on...

chevys turn clockwise

pontiacs turn counter clock wise

fords run 1-2-3-4 down one bank

chevy #1 is on drivers side

Ford late model #1 is passengers side

LS1 motors have no dizzy (most imes!)

Where is the spark plug on that Duramax.....[cl

After making the piece missing from the booster, the brakes are done at last. :D
Chassis is done except for the power steering hoses, somehow I got the wrong ones - another trip to Pick n Pull needed.....
Rolled it outside for some better pics and posed it with the body-in-waiting. They trade places now, body comes in to get on with the finish bodywork (bondo). Now that it's in primer the um, irregularities, are more apparent...:(

Attachments

• june 08 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 91
  • june 08 2012 34 cadillac 019.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 019.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 109
  • june 08 2012 34 cadillac 017.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 017.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 95
  • june 08 2012 34 cadillac 015.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 015.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 87
Well, you have done an outstanding job on everything, I'm sure the body work will be no different...

Probably my favorite build on here right now! I'd love to see your car in person!

Well, you have done an outstanding job on everything, I'm sure the body work will be no different...

Probably my favorite build on here right now! I'd love to see your car in person!

Thanks!!

Sir. you are one talented guy! That is going to be an amazing car when it comes together.

Your outdoors pics are great to. What kind of tree/ plant is across the road? Beautiful countryside!

Those are Gala apple trees, lots of orchards here though they have been on the decline the last few years while vineyards are on the rise.

Attachments

• june 08 2012 34 cadillac 018.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 018.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 55
  • june 08 2012 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 52
  • june 08 2012 34 cadillac 016.jpg
    june 08 2012 34 cadillac 016.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 59
The combination of 78 years of abuse plus all the surgery I did on the body leads up to this point.... bondo time.
Yes, it's occurred to me that by just leaving the body the way it was, I could be driving it already - but that's just not me...:rolleyes:
Nowhere is it more than 1/8" thick though, and lots of it will still get sanded off. I've been doing this crap for 40 years and I still don't seem to be any better at it than when I was 16 :( One thing I've learned is to go large when slappin' on the mud, you can always sand it off.......
I wish I was one of those master metal wizards who can make the metal work smooth without filler but that's just a wild dream for me.
Plus everything in my garage looks all warm and fuzzy with a layer of bondo dust all over it..... (sneeze)

Attachments

• june 17 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    june 17 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 121
  • june 17 2012 34 cadillac 006.jpg
    june 17 2012 34 cadillac 006.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 118
Body work

Well one body man to another i started in 1972 and i still bust my ba----ls to get it straight but i learned that with the size body and area after all filler work done use that spary able polester puddy makes life easyer and it comes out straight trust me if u haven't used it buy it sands like butter fills and uniform that sh-t out of a can su--ks have fun

From the quality of work up to this point, it doesn't surprise me at all :)
Looks fantastic. You need to get some professional pictures of it when it's complete - so I can have some pictures for the desktops on my computers.

The combination of 78 years of abuse plus all the surgery I did on the body leads up to this point.... bondo time.
Yes, it's occurred to me that by just leaving the body the way it was, I could be driving it already - but that's just not me...:rolleyes:
Nowhere is it more than 1/8" thick though, and lots of it will still get sanded off. I've been doing this crap for 40 years and I still don't seem to be any better at it than when I was 16 :( One thing I've learned is to go large when slappin' on the mud, you can always sand it off.......
I wish I was one of those master metal wizards who can make the metal work smooth without filler but that's just a wild dream for me.
Plus everything in my garage looks all warm and fuzzy with a layer of bondo dust all over it..... (sneeze)

On the metal shaper's site, they say the last 10% take 90% of the time. For me the last 10% is impossible. The good thing is that the quality of the filler has improved over the years - I feel less guilty for using it. But the dust - I still have dust from 2 projects ago.

You're almost done -only another 100 hours or so!

But the dust - I still have dust from 2 projects ago.

Thats why you rotate the mud colors! Then you can tell by the layer how long it has been since you cleaned a spot in your shop![cl

I agree ZZ. This one needs to have nice paint on it. I think it would be killer in black but I might be shot by the body man who is half way through the sanding process!:eek:

Thats why you rotate the mud colors! Then you can tell by the layer how long it has been since you cleaned a spot in your shop![cl

Good one! My leaf blower does a fine job of periodically clearing the worst out (or blowing it into the corners) so I go by the paint colors on the floor.
My fingers are getting nice and smooth now from sanding, hoping to get the first splash of primer/surfacer on tomorrow.

Rodder... man that body really looks nice! I know it takes a lot of time blockin' & re-blockin' to get one lookin' that sweeeet... congrats!

BoB

very nice! i used a leaf blower too...but mines gas powered so then i had 2-stroke smoke in the shop:)

Good one! My leaf blower does a fine job of periodically clearing the worst out (or blowing it into the corners) so I go by the paint colors on the floor.
My fingers are getting nice and smooth now from sanding, hoping to get the first splash of primer/surfacer on tomorrow.

Ahhhhhhh suspense!

starting to twitch... wanting to see more pics! [cl[cl[cl

[P

Latest posts

Back