1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only been to Chicago in semi trucks. I seriously have to ask WHAT do you love about it? :rolleyes:

ohh man !!! that totally made me laugh !! i too have driven semis for 34 years now.. Chicago is one of the most hated citys known to truck drivers..
I'll NEVER understand why anyone would live in that place.
ok.... enough of that .
Awsome truck . AWSOME BUILDER !
you have built one fabulous truck!
if you ever sell it ... Call me first !!! lol !!

Believe it or not I haven't given up still working at it, finally feel like I am making headway on the wiring.... My dad has spent a bunch of time working on stuff for me (you guys should coax him out, he got an Ipad a little while back and reads the forum a lot now.. hes lurking)

Got the headlight buckets wired and back on, I bought a pair of those lights off ebay that have the turn signals built in.. of course they dont fit right the thickness of the lens and body of the bulb keep the headlight ring from seating all the way.... more mods to come! Shocks are on... as is the hood ornament... I built the base for a ornament i got out of an antique shop

its aluminum, I shaped it all by hand...it had that nice hand made look.. but then I clear coated it.. and now I think it looks too nice.. I might have to strip the clear.. it almost looks like silver paint rather than cleared aluminum...

My dad also rubbed down the cab with an old yellowed lacquer he had.. it gave it a nice look I think... also got half of the bed back on. I had to finish all the wiring for the relays and compressors before putting the bed back on.. Its starting to look like a truck again

Next we need to get the front glass in so I can adjust the regulator before hanging the dash... dad spent alot of time getting the dash looking good! Color turned out nice too

Need to get the rest of the bed on and the the tail lights/brake lights wired.. and i think the majority of the wiring (besides all the dash connections) will be done.

On that note.. can anyone tell me...

I am running an electric fan, I hooked up the relay and the thermostat, it came with a breaker that is to go inline coming from the hot line.. do I need this if I am using a fused circuit? If I dont need it I would rather not, you wouldn't believe how limited space is under the cab, so many wires and air lines ... its getting crazy trying to keep it tidy under there..

I think there is a glimmer of hope to do a lap around the neighborhood this year, i had that feeling this weekend of "this thing might actually get finished"

Thanks guys

The inline breaker is if the fan overloads. The fused lead is to go to one side of the relay coil.
I would fuse the +12v ignition line for safety
fancon10.jpg

Chipping away some more...

Got the bed back on like 95%, pockets, tail gate.. etc.. ran into a problem and Im sad to say I cheated to fix it. As you can see in the photos the pockets are held on by a ton of screws... cause I thought it looks nice..

So some of them are tapped into the frame rail because of where they fall out. Well dammed if I didnt break my tap off. (i have been telling myself for months that I was pushing my luck with that tap) I dont know how many have tried to extract taps but it is a painful process (for me anyway) and I generally make a terrible mess out of the hole by time I get it out and end up rewelding the hole which then makes it very hard to drill and tap... So hence I cheated :( What I ended up doing was cutting the head off of a screw and welding it on from the back

Did some more wiring, my dad got the alternator back on, windshield, dash and gas tank next...

I was bad and didnt take but a couple of photos, too focused on working..

Anyway heres the pockets

The other side has this old license plate light bracket, I got it off ebay a long time ago, I dont think it has ever been installed it looks brand new. I think it might have been for a motorcycle as the plate mounting ist long enough for the holes on a modern car plate.. easy fix..

I had some copper sheet laying around that I used to back holes when i was welding, cut and made some little clips to hold the old cloth wire... I think adds a little something.. I did a similar treatment for the 3rd brake light up by the back of the cab...

Hoping to put another solid day on it this up coming weekend...

I was so tempted to post one of those annoying "any updates" messages on this thread last week. Glad to see you're back on it. I love this truck & can't wait to see it pounding pavement!
-Chaz

Thanks guys, I will get it done at some point, Hoping to hit it again on sat, but after that shes going to sit till probably September unfortunately.. life is busy, but im sure you guys all deal with that as well

Looks good man! I like your idea for the wire holder, that copper really adds a nice touch.

-Chris

Thanks man, its just some copper flashing. I have a strict no plastic rule for anything visible and the other metal clamps I have were huge, the copper bends easy so you can get it nice and snug around the wires..

Progress....

Installed the finishing pieces of the bed... Former hood sides I'm sure it will age a bit and blend better

Wired and installed the alternator... Ran it through some old wire sheathing my dad had from his 57

And the dash is back in! My dad did a great job smoothing it out and making it look great! He points out all the imperfections... I think it's just right

Starting to come together now!

Thanks guys! im happy with the results.. Not every one can build them with the speed and quality of ZZrodder

Wiring is very close to being done... Just need to finish the turn signal wiring

I do still need to find a home for the air gauges

Latest posts

Back