1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a good shape to hammer form. I would anneal the aluminum first. You can anneal aluminum by using an acetylene (no oxygen) flame to cover it in soot. Then heat the aluminum until the soot burns off.

Problem is I would have to have a torch... Not all of us have fancy tools like torches and forklifts :rolleyes:

So I'm going to go with brute force... And a hammer!

build a wood fire and slowly pass the piece over it until it heats evenly. Just don't get it extremely hot[P

DJ3100 can correct me if I'm of on temp but you want to take it to about 400f and let it cool evenly. I think it will be a puddle at 1100f and will get hard and brittle at 700-800f

build a wood fire and slowly pass the piece over it until it heats evenly. Just don't get it extremely hot[P

DJ3100 can correct me if I'm of on temp but you want to take it to about 400f and let it cool evenly. I think it will be a puddle at 1100f and will get hard and brittle at 700-800f

Blacksmiths have lots of tricks they can do with the tools that are in the shop. Actual numbers - not so much. But I think you can anneal aluminum in the kitchen oven or with a wood fire.

I suggested annealing it to prevent it from cracking when you form it. However, that applies to 3003 or 5052. If your aluminum is 6061, it will crack, annealed or not. Sometimes the cracks happen as much as 6 months later, but the odds are that it will crack.

I'm sure it's ridiculous to suggest this, but do a search on hammer forming aluminum. There is a ton of info and it really is easy to get good results.

Ill look into it, but I kinda think you guys are over thinking what i meant.. now u guys are going to be disappointed.. lol

Well here's the progress...

The blank..

After making smart a** comments about DJs tools... I remembered that free slip roller I got...

Roughed it in with that and then adjusted it by bending it over a piece of pipe I clamped to the bench...

I think it turned out pretty good

Just don't look at the back

That turned out great. Did you use lock tight on all those screws?
It would be the pits if they started vibrating loose.
Nice job.

Nothing wrong with that! Nice job...
Thanks!

Sweet!

Even I don't have a slip roller.

Haha... I got it pretty late in the build so I didn't really utilize it, it's really big (5 foot) so it spends most of its time tucked out of the way..

That turned out great. Did you use lock tight on all those screws?
It would be the pits if they started vibrating loose.
Nice job.

Thanks pops... I will lock tight them during final assembly... Still things to be sorted...

So I got these cool switches

They came out of this gauge panel, I got it out of that junk yard in east troy that's closing, I basically gave a dollar for it because it looked so roached out. My dad said "leave that thing it's a mess" I figured it was old enough that the switches could be rebuilt if I could free them up.

U can see there was a bunch on there.. 4 were completely rotten... Broke one figuring out how to take them apart.. But anyway 4 of them cleaned up great and work just fine. The mechanical insides are cool and have massive copper connections, the gauge wire that ran into these switches leads me to believe they can handle a lot of power..

Here's the connection out of the broken switch

They came out of this bus, along with that light in the panel.. One will end up in the air command panel to control the power to the compressors so they don't come on with the ignition...

My dad was in charge of the dissection of the panel, he took apart the gauge in the center and it was cool to find the date on the back of the face

Cool switches. The reason they are so heavy duty is that it was probably a 6 volt system. The lower the volts the higher the amps to make the same load operate. [P

Awesome work!!
So when do I get to go for a ride?

<~~~~~ this guy... he has helped me on the build twice.. once when the cab came off the original truck.. and once when it went back on the frame for the last time (no he is not giving you the finger.. thats a peace sign) hes a car guy, I think hes getting the itch to get a old car/truck project

Thats dad in the red hoodie...

look at that date on the photo.. frighting :eek:

<~~~~~ this guy... he has helped me on the build twice.. once when the cab came off the original truck.. and once when it went back on the frame for the last time (no he is not giving you the finger.. thats a peace sign) hes a car guy, I think hes getting the itch to get a old car/truck project

Thats dad in the red hoodie...

look at that date on the photo.. frighting :eek:

What a world of difference in the then and now of this truck.
You've done good.
I never realized your start date was back then. No point is getting in a hurry
and rushing things. LOL.!

Latest posts

Back