1936ish Ford truck questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blknt18

So this is my first post on here! Just a little about me...I went to Wyotech for auto body/refinishing and upholstery (way over priced and over rated lol), and now I am back at college for Industrial Engineering. Anyways, I have been considering starting a 1936ish Ford pickup rat rod build. It would be on a budget. I have been searching all over for ideas and information. I finally found one truck which I love! There will be a link at the end of this post. I would love to know more about it, like the wheel base/frame and such. I like everything about the truck in the link...the front end, suspension, tires, everything. My build would use a ford 9in rear, I-beam front, t-5 or at least a 4-speed, and a Chevy 350 4-bolt main stroked to a 383. I didn't like the idea of using the Chevy motor in a Ford, but I have had it for a few years and paid only 75 bucks for it and a turbo 350 (all stock now and torn down). Also, I would probably build my own frame, but not sure on the specs yet. Still researching. Would it be weird to run full exhaust, but still have cutouts? I want to drive it a little more than a few short trips.

Here is the link. I know this isn't all of my questions but a start.

http://www.truckinweb.com/webonly/0905trweb_2009_ford_f100_nationals_truck_show/photo_19.html

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 27
welcome to the site! that is a really cool truck you linked us to, and it is certainly worthy of using for a gameplan/vision for your own.....
i say find a cab and get started!:cool::cool:

Welcome and that is a very nice truck to use as a reference. A full exhaust with cut outs should be good, it would be a lot easier on the ears on longer drives. I hope you find a cab so you can get started soon.Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum. You are already head and shoulders above a lot of guys who post that they want to build their first rod because you have a vision and role model in your head that you want to simulate. That is the first thing I always suggest is that they start looking at other rods and find something that appeals to them, then build along those lines.

Here is something I also suggest..........get all of your major components before you build the frame. You absolutely need at least the cab, engine, and some representative wheels and tires. Set the body on some wood or cement blocks at the height you want it to ultimately sit, position the engine so it clears the firewall and is at a nice height, prop up the wheels and tires at a wheelbase that looks proportionate, and then sit back in a chair and stare at it for a long time. You can shift stuff around until it looks more pleasant to your eye, then formulate a plan for building a frame that will tie all those components together.

I like to build the first frame from 2 x 4 lumber because it is very close dimensionally to what the final frame will look like, and it will give you something to check out for component clearances and amount of Z you will need to get the ride height you want. Lumber is also easy to cut and move around to get right.

For frame material I would use 2 x 4 x either 1/8th inch or 3/16th inch wall. 2 x 3 is ok for a T bucket type car but IMO too spindly for a larger body like the 36 you mention. I like the 3/16 personally because you can drill and tap threads for non structural items like brake and fuel lines and cables.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with a sbc in anything. There is a reason they are used to death, they are cheaper to build, perform well, and very dependable. I've built probably every engine over the years and the little Chevy in my 23 is as good as any I have owned.

Good luck with your build.

Don

good luck, ask questions everyone here is very helpful ... all i can contribute that hasn't been said.. is that the truck you posted has a 34-36 Chevy truck grill on it

Welcome to the site. Sounds like what you want to do is what I set out to do. I know mine isn't the best example but check out my build thread. My truck has a natural place to put exhaust dumps right behind the hairpin frame mounts but I have'nt got around to adding them yet.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13656&highlight=ol+blue

Hey Ol Blue, most of my family is from lpc and I was born in Waterloo. I saw on here that you were at the Goodguys show in Des Moines. I was too, and I was at lpc days.

Hey Ol Blue, most of my family is from lpc and I was born in Waterloo. I saw on here that you were at the Goodguys show in Des Moines. I was too, and I was at lpc days.

Do you live in Waterloo now? I grew up around LPC but lived in Waterloo for 28 yrs and moved here 8yrs ago. I spent both nights uptown at the festival and was in the car show and cruise. Great fireworks show too.

I also want to make the bed a little longer than the one in that picture. I don't want a really long wheel base. I like the way the front tires sit back a little from the very front of the frame too. Still trying to get a picture of how I would want the frame to look.

Should I maybe look into a muncie 4 speed m20? I think it would be stronger than a t5 but not sure. What size of gears are people running?

Do you live in Waterloo now? I grew up around LPC but lived in Waterloo for 28 yrs and moved here 8yrs ago. I spent both nights uptown at the festival and was in the car show and cruise. Great fireworks show too.

No, Ames. I missed the fireworks, because I went up to cf to go out to the bars with my cousin.

I think this is the nicest '36 I've seen in person. Was at GoodGuys a couple of years ago. Scanned pics don't do it justice.

Attachments

• ratrod1.jpg
    ratrod1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ratrod2.jpg
    ratrod2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 17
  • ratrod3.jpg
    ratrod3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back