1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FiatWood011.jpg

Now that I've finished sanding the high build primer it looks like volcano ash throughout the garage. It seems like a waste to put all that material on and sand most of it off. I have some lacquer primer on order. Something I know how to use. The final color will be a dark maroon on the body and black fenders. Low gloss or satin.

35 Prog, thanks for the info on spray guns. I will be not be using any additional thick primers so I should be ok the rest of the way. I have a Graco HVLP set up I'll use for the rest of the project.

MattyLillyPlymmie016.jpg

The cab is finally back on the frame. I never liked the big puffy Infinity seats I intalled. So I dug these 70's Chevy van seats out. Bought them off Craigslist a few years ago just because they were cheap. Can't say I like the pattern but the seat shape fits the truck better than the other buckets.

MattyLillyPlymmie017.jpg

I wasn't happy with the big fat tilt column either. So, to continue with the 70's vibe that the seats convey, I put a skinny steering column in along with a wood rim wheel. I always liked the darn things. All in all, a good day's work today.

nice looking cab, digging on the seats that stock upholstery? also ya know ya can wet sand that also wont have a big dusty mess and dont have to breath that crap

MattyLillyPlymmie017.jpg

I wasn't happy with the big fat tilt column either. So, to continue with the 70's vibe that the seats convey, I put a skinny steering column in along with a wood rim wheel. I always liked the darn things. All in all, a good day's work today.

What did that steering column come out of?

Bob, I have a question about your M II installation. I just bought a M II front end complete from a salvage yard, looks just like the picture of yours on the first page of this great thread. How do you ascertain you have the top spring hats correct for the anti dive? I'm using mine on a '41 Int'l and not sure how much I will need to pinch the rails yet. Thanks.

Exhaust006.jpg

Ok, I yielded to the pressure and replaced my baling wire column drop with the original Plymmie piece. 3/4" was sectioned out of it to get the column, which is the original shaft and sleeve, mounted a bit higher.
The shaft has a keyed taper that holds the steering wheel. Not a spline as used on all modern steering columns. Luckily, the taper is the same as an early Ford. Speedway Motors has an adapter that I used.

Flying Rat, regarding the anti-dive; I make sure the top of the MII crossmember is horizontal, front to back. That sets the correct anti-dive.

Exhaust001.jpg

The two wood "sticks" are mockups of the motor to muffler pipes I need. I took them to Dave's muffler shop and he duplicated them in 2" pipe. He flared the ends for the manifold "doughnuts" and inserted centering sleeves. Provided the doughnuts and a pair of 3 bolt flanges. All for $25.
As I was leaving he asked if I had mufflers. I said, "No". He told me he removed an almost new set of Cherry Bombs from a 350 sbc powered International this morning and I could have the mufflers. I took 'em.

Mix007.jpg

I was whining to some friends that I needed a power steering pump. One of them gave this one to me. It has a big aluminum bracket attached. I needed to mount it pretty high to clear the MII rack and pinion. The accessory holes in the cylinder head were available.

Last edited:
Mix008.jpg

I made a plate that bolts to the head and has two studs for the adjuster slots in the pump bracket. There is also a backer angle bracket bolted to an exhaust manifold hole. There is a bit of finish work to do on it.

Nice looking setup. I got a question about driveshafts, where is a good place to get one made? I looked at Denny's website and about had a heart attack.

Northern Engine & Supply in Hudson, WI. Best service and price I have found. He has even shortened shafts while I wait. Joe 715-381-5834

Insulation014.jpg

Been installing Peel & Seal. It will take 6 rolls & $19/roll to finish. Then I'll put a thermal insulation over it. It is sticking like crazy without using a heat gun. The garage is around 60 degrees.

Sam, my neighbor bought power steering hoses from Speedway and didn't use them. They fit my installation just fine. He won't take money for them. Gotta like a neighbor like that.

As for the seats, I am going to dye them. Have any of you dyed vinyl? What were the results?

Insulation013.jpg

The ceiling is done. I have only a small portion of the floor left to do.
Also, been painting lots of small parts. Used undercoating on the undersides of the running boards. Tomorrow I'll take more small parts to the sandblaster.
Also been getting the hoses, belts and other small stuff sorted out.
The push is on to get the truck on the road this summer.
Undecided about color. Two tone? Flat? Satin? Glossy? Color is the hardest part for me.

How about a flat metallic dark dark blue or green? I was trying to match rattle can paint to my original Olds paint. No modern blues I found are that dark. And it was metallic. It's like a dark navy blue metallic that has flattened out - very nice for a rat.

Comin' along nicely, Bob![;)[P

Is that a GM power steering pump? If so, you might need a pressure reducer valve in line, I've read that the GM pump will "over assist" the MII rack.

With regards to the vinyl dye-I've used a product made by "Plasti-Cote" that I found at my local CarQuest parts store. It worked quite well for the plastic/padded vinyl dashboard I used it on, though I wasn't changing the colour. It was actually a black dashboard made from pieces of about six different cars, EVERY piece was a slightly different faded shade of black!;) I don't know if I'd trust it to stay on something I was parkin' my butt on everyday, though. Guess it couldn't hurt to try. Got any buds who work in the upholstery business? Perhaps one of 'em could offer some more "experienced" advice...[S

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back