1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your build has me inspired Bob w. This is my "new" to me '41 International. I wanted an F1 Ford but have not been able to locate one I felt was solid enough to get started on. I see a lot of similar features on the Int'l cab and your Plymouth. Keep us inspired. Kevin

Attachments

• DSCN0163.jpg
    DSCN0163.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 64
PlymmieCabLillyMatt006.jpg

Brought the cab home after having it sandblasted and epoxy primed. There's some dents and creases that need attention. And the firewal needs a fair bit of grinding on all the welds. Some rust through along the back panel at floor level begs for a fix too. All in all, I'm very happy to have a cab this nice up here in the rust belt.

After numerous incidents and obligations, that kept me out of the garage for the last couple weeks, I should be ready to rock & roll Monday. There's nothing stopping me now! Except maybe for $$$.

Cabwork001.jpg

Flying Rat, I sure like your International. Be sure to post lots of pics as you build it.

I made some patch panels to replace part of the back panel, down low, at floor level. The whole back panel was pretty wavy from the belt line down. Even though a lot of it is hidden by the box, I though I'd make it smooth. Tried my shrinking disc. No effect. Tried some shrinks with my gas welder. Minimal improvement. Grabbed a can of Bondo and began filling the low spots. It's close now so I'll finish with some Evercoat Rage Gold to make sanding easier.

Cabwork007.jpg

My friend and neighbor (one person) gave me a gallon of truck bed liner. Used it on the inside of the firewall and the floor.

Cabwork006.jpg

Used it on the outside of the floor too. This thing should be sealed against all environmental evils. It is a pain in the butt spreading the tar-like material with a cheap 2 1/2" brush.

PlyBodywork001.jpg

Been doing my least favorite activity. Well, I didn't like the colonoscopy last summer either. Anyway, I finally have the back panel almost done. Did most of the rest of the filling today, which was not much. A bit on the front and rear of the roof, the area where the gas filler was and a few waves here and there that I couldn't get straight enough.
Gonna try Evercoat Slick Sand high build primer. A friend even brushes the first coat on to fill sanding scratches and minor inperfections. Considering satin black for the final color.
I'm so tired of sanding I think I'll work on the Fiat project tomorrow.

There are so many great builds on RRR that if you don't post for a week you end up on page 4. I am greatful for the chance to see so many builds by nice people.

slick sand

Bob, you cant go wrong with evercoat products. I love the slick sand!! I would recommend buying a cheap ($ 45) gravity fed hvlp with a 2.2 or 2.5 tip I reduce mine 10% with urethane reducer. I have not tried brushing but may need to try that on small spots. I block with 180 grit and if not a lot of break thrus I will re-guide coat and final sand with 400 seal with epoxy and top coat if needed. Just remember this is a polyester based product (will absorb moisture). Looking great by the way. [cl[cl

FiatSteeringColumn003.jpg

Most of the bodywork on the cab is done. Still have to sand the firewall. Still waiting for the back ordered primer. Pretty sure the final coat will be SEM Hot Rod Satin Black.

35Prog, Thanks for the advice.

The original plan was to use a low compression 406 sbc that I have. However, with gas prices on the rise and intending to drive the truck a lot, I am considering using a 305 HO engine that is languishing in the back garage. My V6 S-10 goes just fine so I'm thinking the 305 will provide adequate performance the the Plymouth. Any opinions out there?

0118111600b.jpg nice cab I AM tired of sanding allso allmost done with 40 IH BED / the 305 will make a great driver but more is good to

finished the entire post. great work.:D I had a 305 powered van that i used to haul my dragster and equipment, and it did a pretty good job. you should be satisfied.

PlyReadyForPrimer005.jpg

Jerry the Sandblaster did my doors. I spent the last two days with bondo and sandpaper trying to get them straight. This is one of those jobs where I stop and say "good enough". Man, I hate bodywork.

PlyReadyForPrimer006.jpg

The bodywork on the cab is "good enough" too. Was going to use high build primer next but the product instructions say not to put it on bare metal. So, I'll have to put some epoxy primer on the bare spots first.

FiatMatty017.jpg

Well, I'm proof you're never to old to mess up. I used Evercoat Slick Sand polyester primer with a hardner. A friend said he has brushed it on. So I did a door and part of the cab that way. The brush marks were so deep that it took hours to sand them all out. Today I did the rest with a roller. Worked much better but not as good as spraying. I don't have a large enough nozzle for the thick high build primer and I didn't want the overspray mess in the garage. Don't know why I cared, the garage is full of sanding dust ayway. Four or five hours of sanding and the cab and doors will be ready to paint.

I threw the tilt steering column out. It looked too new. Will be using the original Plymmie column. I also got rid of the Infinity seats. Will be putting a simple bench seat in. Something that resembles the original.

Last edited:
slick sand gun

Bob My jobber sold me a gravity feed hvllp gun with a 2.5 tip. (less than 50.00) Over spray is not really an issue as the over spray is the size of fly sh*t. It does not really drift or hang in the air. If this interests you, I can get specifics from my jobber again. (lost the box and paperwork). Body work sucks enough without creating more work due to lack of a cheap tool. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back