1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
time

PlyAlmost004.jpg

It looks all out of proportion without the front fenders. I didn't intend to spend all summer working on the truck. Badly misjudged how long it would take. I can't wait to get back to real hot rod building.

alway seems to be that way:D

like the truck[cl

Later:cool:

PlywFronts001.jpg

Looks much better with the front fender and running board attached.
Eman, the rear wheel is a chrome steel 5 slot that was sandblasted and painted cast iron grey. I'll have the same on the front. It does look kinda dull though. I really want a set of artillery wheels from Rally America but they are not in the budget, unless the Powerball ticket in my wallet...

Last edited:
PlywFronts002.jpg

Thanks for the kind remarks. I know it's hard to comment all the time with the large amount of build threads on RRR. It is a huge compliment to Tripper that the site is so active with guys actually building hot rods.
The stance should remain about as you see it here. I used a 1 1/2" spacer to bring the rear wheel out farther in the fender. Hard to tell in the pic but it looks a lot better.
The more I look at it the more it makes me think it needs a color. A color discussion took place a few pages ago but now that I see the thing outside, a satin or flat dark blue or deep maroon might be the answer.

I wanted artillery wheels for my '41 corn binder but they wern't in the budget. I ended up with crown vic cop car wheels. $ 76 ea. on evil bay. They are 17x7.5 114.5 mm bolt circle. With a set of spidercaps I think they will look pretty good. Sorry, no pics yet. The crown vic wheels are "holy" with multiple holes on the outer diameter.

PlyPushBumper002.jpg

Been driving the Plymmie in ever larger circles around the neighborhood. That way if it quits I don't have so far to walk. So far no major problems. Had it up to 60 mph. Lately I made hardwood blocks for between the running boards and the brackets, put the tail gate and chains on and put the rear window in. Reinforced the power steering pump mounting, and so on. Just cut the driver seat stand down as I was riding too tall in the saddle. Tilted it back a bit more to create "belly" room.
Just finished the push bumper. The truck is a tow vehicle for my early 50's style dragster so a push bumper fits the era. Once it gets nicked and scratched it will look better.

3 at the show

looking nice[cl

there were 3 of these at the show, one flat black, one semi-shiney black and one kind in the middle black. they looked really good in black.

Later:cool:

PlyMirrorBrkt003.jpg

Thanks guys for the favorable comments. I wanted a passenger side mirrior so I made a bracket that is like the stock one on the driver's side.

PlyMirrorBrkt001.jpg

Trouble was, I went dyslexic and made an inside-out bracket.:eek:

The Plymouth is the first full size hot rod type vehicle I've built. I am very pleased with how it rides and handles. Very comfortable. The long wheelbase and a fair amout of weight makes this machine far more comfortable than all my small hot rods.

Now, If I can control wind noise with weatherstripping and put a cruise control in the thing, it will be as comfortable to drive as my 2001 S-10.

We had 40 mph wind today and the crosswind didn't affect the truck at all.

I have to rate this build as a success in terms of being user friendly.

Well Bob, I thought you were all bluff and all, but you do a fine job with a build-----
The mirror thing, YEAH, sounds like something I'd do, duuhhhh! I love the truck. perley

PlyMoreMirror001.jpg

I'm too lazy (or rather too old and tired) to make another mirror bracket so I simply filled in the open side. From the front the right and left brackets look more alike.

Pearly, I don't know what you were driving at with the "bluff" comment. Care to explain?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back