1941 Lincoln Zephyr questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I have found a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr coupe. [dr Guy is supposed to be sending me some pics, I've already seen one of one side and it looks pretty good. It supposedly has a Chevy 350/350 turbo :( in it.

Is the suspension and brakes on the Lincoln the same as a 41 FORD? He said it needed a little brake work, you know how that goes, thought if they were the same I'd just go ahead an get the disc kit from Speedway for the front. I don't know about what kind of rear it has yet, but I know it probably came with a torque tube, so I know at least it had to be converted to an open drive to work with the Chevy trans. Will probably go ahead and go with a new dual master and maybe power, too.

What about the wheel bolt pattern? Would that be a 5 on 5 if the stock stuff is still there? It currently has steelies and caps, might end up running those if I trade for it.

Oh yeah, the steering. It looks to have the original column and wheel. I'd probably want to go with power steering at some point, would one of the kits for a 40's FORD work?

OH, I know that the Lincolns were a unit body, anything I need to look out for when I go look at it?

I'm excited about the prospect of it, but kinda hate to trade off the Maverick. I've always wanted a 30's or 40's car though, and this looks like it might be a good deal.

I just got the pics, don't have time to post them right now, but it's not a 41:mad:. It's a 46.:mad:
Same questions still apply though, as Ford was pretty much the same from 40 to 48. don't know if that carries forward on the Lincolns, though. It looks ok in the pics, but still I was hoping for a pre war car.

I need to research this one a bit more. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get time. Got to go to work now!

1941_lincoln_zephyr_coupe_3_window_john_price.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!lYFCMLvu0hOBQzMtlsrNg~~60_1.JPG

Last edited:
The last one on ebay, I was helping a friend bid on it and he went to 28 thousand before he said no more which it ended at 29 something. It was in pretty rough shape also ???

The same guy bidding on the coupe found this sedan and was all over it.. This was a one family car father, son, grandson sold it !! It still had the original tire chains with the leather adjustment straps and the original tool kit !! This car is original..[dr

Attachments

• Aztec-20120911-00260.jpg
    Aztec-20120911-00260.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Aztec-20120911-00258.jpg
    Aztec-20120911-00258.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 10
Here's a couple of pics of it. Still need to know what if any parts are same as 46-48 Ford.

Attachments

• right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 23
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 22
pretty sure Lincoln axle and king pins and spindles are different from ford so Speedway disc brake kit for ford won't work. lincoln had bigger brakes than ford so just rebuild them and add powere booster for great brakes.:)

Some on the other site say they will swap, some say they won't. :confused:

Some use the big Linc brakes on smaller cars. I just want it to stop when I want it too!:D

Going in the morning to look at it.

I'm back! It was a cold day, but went anyway!

I went and looked the car over today. Somebody has spent some money on the car in the past. Looks as though it a been sitting a while now though, so it needs some TLC.

Chevy V8 and trans looks like a good install. All front end is factory Lincoln, even the wishbone wasn't split.

Rear was changed to a 8" or 9" Ford, couldn't get under far enough to see. It's narrow with the stock steel wheels, as you can see in the pic of how far the tire is from the outside of the fender. Will need some offset wheels or a rear end change to a wider rear to get them back out where they belong. Rear spring has been replaced with a set of parallel leafs.

All the welds I saw were mig, with good quality.
All in all, I'd say somebody put a lot of money in this car, got it painted and re-upholstered, then left it parked outside a long time. There are multiple rust bubbles at the fender seams and the drip rail, but no rust through yet, metal seems solid. It will have to be taken down to bare metal and brought back up.

All in all, it looks like a pretty good car, it just needs paint and brake work. Here's a few shots, with a link to all the pics of it.

rightside_zps0f5d2f76.jpg

front_zps4080e518.jpg

100_1663_zpsc0a9550d.jpg

100_1685_zpsfe42a832.jpg

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/ford84stepside/46 Lincoln/

I was going to ask you if that was a LZ when you posted the images from the "junkyard". That may be worth a lot more restored then as a resto rod......I recall guys swapping out the ford brakes for lincoln ones. Call Speedway......they will know.

weld on........[;)

Latest posts

Back