1945 dodge pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frame is shorted that was fun crazy and I feel like a b.a. , I still have to weld the 3/16 plate metal fish scales on both sides of each side, I was going to do a Z cut, it was just to complicated for me, so the 4 fish scales should be plenty strong enough, and if it's not then that would suck, and I'll learn the hard way lol 😂

Attachments

• DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0394.jpg
    DSC_0394.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 31
Lots done today, finished the fish scales, put the cab backback on, and mocked it up looks good I think, I am going to end up widening the bed to clear the front leaf spring mounts, the bed will not extend past the width of the cab, I'll probably shorten the height of the bed about 2 inches as well,

Attachments

• DSC_0392.jpg
    DSC_0392.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0396.jpg
    DSC_0396.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0399.jpg
    DSC_0399.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0398.jpg
    DSC_0398.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 19
Man, you're cruizin on this build! [cl When you say shorten the height of the bed, do you mean that you are going to channel it over the frame to drop it down or are you thinking of actually cutting the bedsides down? I personally wouldn't cut the bed sides down as I feel like the proportions always look off if the bed is too "thin". Just my 2 cents.

I'm interested in the hows too! I'm hoping when you widen the bad sides to hide the springs, maybe you'll add an apron to drop the sides and leave the tops of the bed where they are. They look like they're where they need to be up top. Then move the fenders to match the wheels and tires...

Yeah it needs to move towards the front a scooch, made the pickup bed frame, out of 4 c channel 1"legs and 2" wide, and some 1"1/2" x1"1/2 angle iron, bolted that in place also welded the rear cab mounts in place.
One picture shows how the side walls covers the frame just a little and the other shows the hight, it will stay even with the cab line.
That's my 70 year old grandpa that gave me this truck yes they were both made in 1945, the truck is his birth year, probably one of the last most fondest memories I will have before he goes will be spending time on this truck with him, he practically raised me.

Ps look at the last picture that was were the fender was hanging, it was holding it self up so I left it there so I could take the picture, if I moved it forward it would fall.

Attachments

• DSC_0401.jpg
    DSC_0401.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0406.jpg
    DSC_0406.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0403.jpg
    DSC_0403.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0408.jpg
    DSC_0408.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0409.jpg
    DSC_0409.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0391.jpg
    DSC_0391.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 25
are you boxing the frame on the inside anywhere? l boxed mine 4 inches on each side of the cut we made just to make it that much stronger overall.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Left overs lunch and 2x6 poor man's wood bed!!! 😂
Iv decided to make new bed walls the bottom is just to rusted and it won't cost to much for me to make new ones

Attachments

• DSC_0410.jpg
    DSC_0410.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0411.jpg
    DSC_0411.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 22
So far I'm about 1000$ in to this build if anyone was wondering, $450 for the 89 chevy, sold the radiator 75$ then the rest is cost of metal / grinding disks and cutting blades,I think by the time I'm done I am going to be sitting around 5k invested, not including my time and labor lol which is invaluable.

lunch

yore lunch is better than mine, l had a ghetto jam sandwich, 'cause in the ghetto we to poor to put anything in the middle so just jam two pieces of bread together [dr

good choice on the bed boards, stain'em and call it done.

l used a bunch of left over waterbed frames for mine--cost=free[cl

Later :cool:

I thought a ghetto sandwich was just two pieces of bread put together and rugar was it:p
Here is me holding the fender
Should I widen the fenders to cover the tires? it would take about 3" I'm thinking, I might just widen it like 11/2"to 2" 3" is a lot!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0414.jpg
    DSC_0414.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0413.jpg
    DSC_0413.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 23
The bed wood looks great. Making the fenders wide would be nice, imho [S

I'm with your grandpa, Starting point for my willys build was we were both born in 45. That was a good year, ask your grandpa [cl

Another vote for widening the fenders. Also looks like some lowering blocks would help get that tire up in the fender better. The bed looks like it's where it should be but it looks like the whole thing needs to be lower.

Latest posts

Back