1946-48 ford hubs/drums

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phils

Are these 1946-48 ford drums/hubs and backer plates?
Does anybody know the shoe width that these should have on them? The shoes on these are 1-3/4" x 12"...
Thanks for any help with identifying these for me.

Attachments

• ford_brakes.jpg
    ford_brakes.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ford_brakes_backer_plate.jpg
    ford_brakes_backer_plate.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 16
  • ford_brakes_hub_mounted_outside_of_drum.jpg
    ford_brakes_hub_mounted_outside_of_drum.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 19
really hoping someone can identify my hubs

I should state that the reason I need to know what years these hubs are, is that I want to do the Buick drum conversion. I have read on this board that if I do have 1946-48 hubs, that this will be another part that I do not need to find or buy and that I can seperate my hubs from the drums, drill out the buick drums and attach to these hubs (if they are in fact 1946-48).
I included another pic showing to show the inside of the drum/hub. I hope someone can tell me how to identify these hubs:
In trying to research this further, Ford used the same drums from 1940-48 and they also used the same bearings from 1928-48? so those clues don't help me.....
thanks for any ideas you may have.

Attachments

• ford_brakes_hub_mounted_outside_of_drum_inside.jpg
    ford_brakes_hub_mounted_outside_of_drum_inside.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
Yes, those look like 46-48 Ford drums. You are correct, those are the hubs that you need for the Buick drum conversion.

Clues:

46-48 = hub on outside of drum and lower shoe pivots in backing plates are riveted, not bolted. I'm sure folks know more than me on this but that's how I tell the diff.

Yes you have '46-'48 hubs, drums & backing plates there. Also, the drums were not the same from '40-'48. '46-'48 drums (like you have) are unique because the hub is outside the drum, which is necessary for the Buick conversion. '40-'42 hubs are inside, and the drums are different. They are more smooth, without the ribs on the outside or the bulges in the face of the drum. Easy to tell them apart...

hubs

Thanks B.E.D. and Gastrick for confirming my hubs! (I am new at this, but I'm learning).
Now.....any ideas how to get the studs out and seperate the hubs from the drums. If I had a blowtorch, I'd probably try that. But I don't. I do have a grinder & BFH...or will my shop press pop 'em out if I support the backs?

Latest posts

Back