1946 chevy truck 6" chop door help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap901

Iv chopped the top 6" and have to top completly welded, now Im working on the doors and the back top of the doors has a good size gap in it, is this normal? if not whats the best option to tighten up the gap. the doors is just tack welded at the moment.

I know its just A ratrod but I would like it beable to hold the heat in and the rain out.

Thanks Jim

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 107
In the pics it looks like you didn't line the roof back up right at the cut. This is part of the problem. You may have taken a little to much off the door s as well. So that makes the gap big. Best solution would be cut the roof about 3/8 away from the door opening around the large gaped corner, move it to fit around thethe door then fill the gap with sheet metal. Hope that makes sense.

In the pics it looks like you didn't line the roof back up right at the cut. This is part of the problem. You may have taken a little to much off the door s as well. So that makes the gap big. Best solution would be cut the roof about 3/8 away from the door opening around the large gaped corner, move it to fit around thethe door then fill the gap with sheet metal. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks I keep that in mind, Im sure this chop is not 100% right Its my first.

I have to agree.....the top looks to be quite a bit

to the rear from the door edge... also, when you did the chop had you welded crossbraces at the door openings and such? I mean you can fix it but you'll need to use CC's advise...just extra work but nothing that can't be fixed...

I agree, it appears that the roof is too far back, and too much cut out of the door frame.

I don't see why it cannot be fixed =) Keep at it, I know sometimes I get frustrated with something, but this site, and this great group keeps us all going forward!

Also, looking at the pics, I think most of these guys try to make the cuts fairly consistent size & locations when cutting the body and the door, so that the same areas are removed (there are many variables here), and the remaining areas of the body match up with the remaining areas of the door better.

The gap can be fixed with some filler like a small flat bar curved and welded in the upper roof arch.The door kicking out at the top is not so easy,if you tilt the upper door you will have trouble with the glass track.I know its a little late but its important to keep things lined up and straight or they will haunt you later.

37375764-ddf5-4a1b-ae50-dc700506f1f3_400.jpg

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 58
  • weld12.jpg
    weld12.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks everone! cornfield customs It took me A couple times of reading and thinking but I understand what your telling me to do now lol thanks very much! sneakysnake thanks for your help that will help alot! sgtpontiac and Dirtyrat thanks for confirming what need to be done and what I did wrong.

Sneaky is right...1/8 bar to make the form

The gap can be fixed with some filler like a small flat bar curved and welded in the upper roof arch.The door kicking out at the top is not so easy,if you tilt the upper door you will have trouble with the glass track.I know its a little late but its important to keep things lined up and straight or they will haunt you later.

37375764-ddf5-4a1b-ae50-dc700506f1f3_400.jpg

then simply fill in with sheet metal, bingo bango, the gap is gone....now the door...that's another story....I have ideas but they would time me out trying to put it in writing....but again, I think that using bar stock and a little metal fill weld it up and Bobs your uncle......just need to get the door frame into it's proper location and then determine the areas you need to extend with the flat bar and then fill the gaps when you get it in place...then work on window channel after you got it set up....should be good....

Still got alot more to go but its working[cl Thanks to you all for the help:D.

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 70
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70
Got both doors welded up, they dont have the same amout of gap between the door and cab on both sides but you can only look at one side at a time any way lol plus its not that noticeable with the drip rail installed.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 37
Looks much better...

And you are right...you can't see both sides at the same time....and running down the road at speed...can't see it at all..LOL..[cl

Latest posts

Back