1949 AD-kota

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting there. The bracket worked out nicely. Some file work was needed to get it to bolt up.

WP_000086.jpg

I made an error in the bending of this one. But it worked out for the best since the cowl bracket is inboard of the other side.

WP_000085.jpg

Good idea... No messing around trying to trim those stock inners.:cool:

Progress looks good, I hadn't had time lately to dig back and see what you were up to on this one. Raining here today, so what the heck.:D

I really like that you're taking the time to explain your solutions to all the niggling little details, those can often be the toughest things to solve and folks often gloss over them.

Regards,
Shea:)

box floor

great build, was wondering what you cut up to fit the box with no wheel wells, thanks

Last edited:
NTQ, I cut the floor out of a dakota box and drilled the spot welds out of the wheel tubs. I need to fill about 2 inches where they were.

Put the passenger fender on so I can form the inner fenders.

WP_000159.jpg

Also remade the bracket for the overflow.

WP_000156.jpg

Spent time on the rear of the truck too.

WP_000154.jpg

WP_000155.jpg

I re-shaped some front bumper irons to mount the rear bumper, mounted the drivers side tail light, put on the tailgate and chains and mounted a license plate.

I put some jack-stands under the running board to get a visual.

WP_000157.jpg

WP_000158.jpg

My friend Ron did the new tops for me, it was one of his last projects.

I was going to use the chain saw for a top chop :eek: the old lady said "NO F'n CHOP!"

I started patching the drivers side fender last week. Finished it up today and bolted it on.

WP_000164.jpg

WP_000163.jpg

Battery placement

Well I have been trying to figure out what battery to use and where to put it. [S To help me visualize this enigma I made 3 battery models out of cardboard, a PC 680 from Odyssey (7.3 x 3.7 x 6.7), a Group 51R (9.4 x 5 x 8.7) and a Group 75 (9 x 7 x 7.75) because I had it. Here is a good link on battery sizes http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Most of the problem is that the Dakota chassis puts the frame rail in the way of the original battery location. So I was considering, behind the seat, on the firewall, in the bed and in the fender well.

I almost went with a Odyssey PC680, small & dry battery. Guys are using them on modifieds and roadsters with good success. Just couldn't bring myself to it.

The Group 51R fit in the hole of the original along side the Dakota frame. :D So I made a battery tray from the scrap pile and fit it to the truck.

WP_000173_zpsff1d8398.jpg

WP_000174_zps74fbcc8c.jpg

WP_000175_zps7125e090.jpg

I added a gravel shield
WP_000176_zps7076aea4.jpg

and a removable tray
WP_000177_zps8f363e4d.jpg

All bolted down
WP_000179_zps85ee0102.jpg

Wish my battery was in an easier spot........

Same here. In my AD truck I am using a 90 silverado chassis so the frame is right where the battery needs to go. I'm thinking mine will need to be under the bed ...[S

Nice job on your battery box. Build is coming along nicely. [P

Latest posts

Back