1949 Bentley Boattail Speedster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the kind of build thread that makes a guy rethink his own build! lol I think the thing looks awesome. And kudos for having the balls (or lack of brains! j/k) to cut up a Bentley and make it better.[;)

Thanks KV, it's kinda running driving yard art right now. Looks good from the highway or on soft focus 'glamor' shots like the wet one here.. Ya get too close and you see how rough and tacked to gether it is and it kinda dissapoints.. Reality sucks :)..

I'm 'restin' now on it and just sitting back and relaxing and just looking at it. Kind of a pleasant time. I would often do that after a race -circle tracking. Get done with your classes race-drive the car on the trailer and kill it and just sit.. Listen to the next race, and let the car cool down and relax- could hear it poping and ticking-good times. Summertimes over feelin.

Might fire back up on it pretty soon, or may leave it for a time and build me a gasser--never had a gasser..

PA41

Hopefully the next phase of the build will be more like a restoration than a complete build. ....make small patch panels to "fix" the areas that didn't turn out perfect the first go around. I guess you could call it a refinement process.

I will sure be glad when I get to that point on my boat tail.

Sounds like you are remembering the most important aspect, to enjoy the process of creating.

I hit the 'Yard Driver' point and parked it in the side yard for now. It's in the "fer lookin at and thinkin about" status.

I think I'll scrounge some modern flatish car tops to cut the boat tail sides out of instead of flat sheet iorn. The cartops have a slight crown that looks like old 'flat' panels.

The rear fenders don't please me somehow--maybe to big? Not sure--they might be OK if I mount then down some. They might be too high. I am still considering buying some f-glass Auburn speedster rear fenders for it, but they are round and don't have that peak in them, (and they are kinda 'spensive). I still havent made my mind up about them.

I like lookin at it in the yard--I do that with most of my stuff.

It will come to me eventually. Maybe.

Thanks for the interest.

PA41

Don't do the Auburns. Maybe move the rears down 4 or so inches and cut off the bottoms, or round the bottom rear upwards and relax the pointiness.

This was my favorite build - I miss it. :( Oh well, a fine wine takes time. ;)

Well? :) It's been sittin' in the yard gettin' looked at for nine pages now :D
emoticon-cartoon-001.gif

I'm surprised there wasn't a comment from PA41 having to do with the construction time frame of a certain Roman metropolis..........[cl

Latest posts

Back