1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful work .....and my favorite color

The driveability of this car should be phenomonal.

Thanks, dude. That what I'm hoping for; just a really nice reliable cruiser with a unique flair.

Today I relocated the battery to the trunk, welded the O2 bungs in my headers, and made a liitle bracket to mount the fuel pump and fan relays. All of the PCM wires are ran except for the battery power, ignition power, main grounds, and these two relays. One I get it started and verify that everything works as it should, I'll paint this panel and neaten up all the wiring. Should be wrapping the headers soon and getting them on so I can start routing wires and hoses around them.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 44
Looking Good. What size wires are you running to your relocated battery?

Im using standard battery cable size; #2 I think? I just told O'Riely's I wanted 8' of red battery cable and the cut it off a roll for. Not very scientific, I know; but it should be fine for a 181 cubic inch engine with a tiny little starter on it.

Got my headers done today, just need to tighten them up. I also took a trip to the boneyard early this morning. I was off work to take my better half to the doctor and I had a couple hours to spare this morning. I picked up a driveshaft from a Ranger that should work after a little shorting, and I found this fuse/relay box from the same truck. I think I’m going to use this instead of just mounting loose relays.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 48
I got the headers bolted down and the steering box back in today along with small stuff like swapping out the gauge sensors and running a few wires for the starter and alternator. These SHO motors use an oil cooler that bolts to the block where the oil filter goes and the filter screws onto it. Then a heater hose runs out the back of the motor, to the cooler and back. Then a heater hose runs out the back of the motor, to the cooler, and back into the block through a nipple by the oil filter mount. It's a big mess of hoses that takes up a lot of room as much and as I'm trying to make it all fit, it looks like this is just not going to work around the big honker Plymouth steering box. I'm going to ditch the factory cooler and filter, screw on a remote filter adapter and mount a remote oil cooler and filter on the core support. Slow progress; lots of trial, error, and do overs, but it's getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
Dashboard looks real good. You knew it wouldn't be easy, blazing a new trail with that engine in that car. Gonna be well worth it in the end.

Thanks for the info on the battery cable, Keep after it, trial and error is all part of it, at least you know what it takes if you are going to do it again :D

Dash looks really sweet I dig those lines!

You're doing some nice work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Br prepared, you do know a lot of people are going to ask if it's a hemi.

Lots done in the past few days; I found a belt that fit and got the tensioner mounted, intake is mounted along with all the little gizmos bolted to it and hooked up. That stuff sure eats a lot of time. I found an adapter to eliminate the factory oil cooler and mount a take off plate so it's on the way and the cooling passages for the factory one are plugged.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 57
I've been sick for three days so I didnt get back out there until today. I got the O2 sensors put in and had to shorten the harness for the passenger side one. I made it way to long, not sure how I measured that wrong. I put the core support on and made a mount for the oil cooler (Caprice police car) and the remote filter. I'll have to get a 90 degree elbow to shoot the air intake sideways so the radiator will fit. Looks like a late 60s Mustang aluminum radiator is going to be the best fit. The passenger side wheel well still fits but the drivers side will need some surgery.
I also picked up a new parts hauler yesterday; it's a 2000 3/4 ton Ram van with a 5.9. A little bit of a beater but it runs great, everything works, and has lots of hauling room. Best of all, it was cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 30
I feel you on being sick after 3 weeks I finally went to the dr....

Better to have something too long, then too short, at least you didn't have to get the wire stretcher out....

Congrats on that parts hauler, definitely will keep stuff dry, I am still looking for a cover for my truck lol.

I got all the cooler and filter lines run tonight; hope to get radiator in and maybe fuel lines run this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 27
Lots done today; got my radiator installed, starter back in, ran the battery cables for the trunk mounted battery, did some work on the panel where the ECC and relays are going to be mounted, and notched the steering column tube to clear the drivers side header. I raised the engine 1/2" but still had to notch it; forgot to account for the thickness of the header wrap when I built the header tube around the column. Im going to have to relocate the MAF; it's hitting the top of the radiator fan and I've got the radiator as far forward as it can go and the fan as low as it can go. But all in all; it's coming along pretty good. Im hoping there's an attempt at starting the engine in the near future!

Attachments

• IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG