1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots more done this week; exhaust is on except for the tailpipes, clutch is hooked up and working, front bumper is on, hood hinges are on, pulled the MAF apart and cleaned it, figured out the tach wiring and got it working, plus several other small jobs. The front is sitting about 1 1/2" lower; the front shocks were too long and bottomed all the way out so I pulled them off and will get new ones. I started it this afternoon and let it run about 30 minutes. After stumbling for a few minutes it settled down; idles really nice and throttle reponse seems good. Vital signs all look good. Still need to get a programmer but this is pretty promising. For exhaust I just went with a couple of Summit's house brand of glass packs and 2 1/4" pipe. It has a really interesting tone especially when you rev it.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 53
It's all your fault... I am now the owner of a 1950 Chevy, I loved the body style after watching your build (I know it's a chevy, but there is just something about that era.)

Your ride is looking GREAT!

It seems like when you're getting near the end of a project the small task list is endless. Spent the last few days putting on the front shocks, bleeding brakes, zip tying wire bundles & hoses away from hot items, finished the drivers side fenderwell, found wiring diagram for stereo amps & sub and got them mounted, put some tailpipes on, and several other things I probably forgot. My computer module should be here this week along with a few other parts. Man, I need a couple weeks garage break when this is over.

Attachments

• 1949.JPG
    1949.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 19491.JPG
    19491.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 19492.JPG
    19492.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 19493.JPG
    19493.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 45
Well, good news, bad news. The good news is I got the chip in, chased down a bad TPS and the car started right up and ran beautifully......for about 20 minutes. All of a sudden it started smoking like a dog and blowing raw oil out the passenger side exhaust.:CRY::CRY: Its not missing so Im guessing a broken ring?? Whatever it was, it's got to come back out this weekend. And I was so close.......
At least all the fab work is done so it should just be pulling the motor, fixing it, and dropping it back in. Or getting another SHO motor if something is really broke bad. Ive got too much time invested in the setup and dont want to back up and do something else now.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
Your car is looking great. Too bad the motor decided to take a crap on you. Hopefully you'll find something simple and get cruisin' soon.

I feel you pain

I was set for my first show in a week and tried to do a dist. upgrade and so started the nightmare :eek:
If your interested I have a thread going "need a little help here"
good luck with you problem

Fixed! The valve cover vent tube was supposed to be hooked to a fresh air tube on the throttle body but I had it hooked to manifold vacuum. It was sucking oil right out of the valve cover into the intake. Great news but I am going to have to pull the trans back out as the throwout bearing is not disengaging the clutch. But compared to what I though I was going to have to do, that's pretty minor.

Lucy Dude

Fixed! The valve cover vent tube was supposed to be hooked to a fresh air tube on the throttle body but I had it hooked to manifold vacuum. It was sucking oil right out of the valve cover into the intake. Great news but I am going to have to pull the trans back out as the throwout bearing is not disengaging the clutch. But compared to what I though I was going to have to do, that's pretty minor.

[cl[cl[cl

Looks great. Thats exciting that you'll be road testing soon. Hopefully you'll post a video of you cruising around.

-Chris

Thanks! The flathead was definitely a good conversation piece but I think a bone stock Geo Metro would have blown its doors off. It ran super quiet and smooth but was totally gutless. I had to have a few more beans. I like it without the hood, too.

Latest posts

Back