1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I finally got the word that my flanges are done although I dont have them in hand yet. So I should be building headers next week. I do want to get the car all one color before it goes back on the road so I started on some minor bodywork today; plugging several old holes in the decklid and rockers where Im eliminating some trim and emblems that I dont have anyway. The guy that built this had a motorized deck lid lift that was pretty cool but a little bulky so I decided to go another route. I saved this auto latch from a 96 Firebird that I scrapped; it was on the rear hatch. I'm going to use a GM trunk lock for the manual release cable and the button that worked the lift for the power release.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 48
I finished up both rockers and other than a little patch on the passenger side they were solid and no surprises. It's always the same area rusts out on these old Mopars; right below the taillights and the lip below the decklid. I could see some bubling through the paint so I decided to go ahead and fix it. Even though its going to be a budget paintjob, I dont want rust coming back through right away. I sanded it all down and its like I thought; several areas with pinholes in both spots. But it's worth the extra week or two of work to know its taken care of. The rest of the car is really solid.

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 38
Thanks, whoever patched it did a fair job; not the prettiest but it looks like it's been in there several years so they must have cleaned out the rust pretty well before they welded it in.

Amazing what a few bubbles in the paint can hide. This is really ugly once I cut it open. The only way to really fix this whole area right is to pull the body off the frame but I'm not going there. You have to draw the line somewhere so I cut back the metal until I hit something solid to weld to and I'll rebuild from there. The surrounding old stuff will get cleaned up best as possible and coated with POR 15 to stop any further deterioration. Not perfect but it should last a long time. Every one of these old Mopars I've had rusts out in the same area; must be a moisture trap.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 45
Thanks, whoever patched it did a fair job; not the prettiest but it looks like it's been in there several years so they must have cleaned out the rust pretty well before they welded it in.

Amazing what a few bubbles in the paint can hide. This is really ugly once I cut it open. The only way to really fix this whole area right is to pull the body off the frame but I'm not going there. You have to draw the line somewhere so I cut back the metal until I hit something solid to weld to and I'll rebuild from there. The surrounding old stuff will get cleaned up best as possible and coated with POR 15 to stop any further deterioration. Not perfect but it should last a long time. Every one of these old Mopars I've had rusts out in the same area; must be a moisture trap.

Oh... the ugliness that paint and bondo can hide!!!! I totally feel your pain:(

In my case it was tow car fenders fiber glassed into the floor of the 40 I'm working on, a very un-expected surprise that made my decison about removing the floor completely.... Next is shortening the car, chopping it, then repairing all the lower metal that's rotted, missing, etc. It's a slow process but it's better than re-occurring issues.

Your work looks Great! Keep it up![P

Oh... the ugliness that paint and bondo can hide!!!! I totally feel your pain:(

In my case it was tow car fenders fiber glassed into the floor of the 40 I'm working on, a very un-expected surprise that made my decison about removing the floor completely.... Next is shortening the car, chopping it, then repairing all the lower metal that's rotted, missing, etc. It's a slow process but it's better than re-occurring issues.

Your work looks Great! Keep it up![P

Thanks, sounds like you really have a mess to deal with! It's funny but I've come to realize that in the end it usually doesnt take any more time to just cut the rust out and fix it right than it does to go through all the effort to hide it. But still you find patches made of everything from chickenwire, tar, newspapers, or gallons of bondo.

Im rebuilding this part a piece at a time; pretty tedious but it's looking ok so far. Also, I finally got my header flanges and intake spacers back. I think Im going to finish the rust repair on this side and then jump back to the headers. Once they are done I can pull the drivetrain back out and concentrate on the body front to back.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 28
Got a few more pieces made and fitted today; should be able to get the last two pieces in tomorrow after work and this side will be done.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 40
It's good you have the patience to repair the rusted places correctly. It will pay off in the final product.

Yeah, Im not opposed to a minimal amount of bondo to smooth things over; Im definitely not one of those guys that can work sheet metal to perfection. BUT..I try to avoid making it a structural element.

Needs a little more finish grinding but this side is pretty much done. I was going to jump to the headers but I guess I'll bite the bullet and do the other side first.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
that patch looks really good! Wanna do mine for me? :D

I understand jumping around sometimes too much of one thing in one area can dull the mind, I jump around a lot on my projects, I just use a list to make sure I don't leave anything out... LOL

Yeah, this part has been a backbreaker working down low and trying to weld overhead while laying on my back. But all the tools for the job are out so I might as well finish this part so I can clean up that work area for good when it's done. Great verse in Romans; here's one of my favorites. It keeps me in my place when I start thinking I have it all figured out.

1:Corinthians 1:27

Latest posts

Back