1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Yeah the whole car is going to be this color; i'm going to work my way all the way around until the body work is done. It's not too bad overall; just a few spots to fix and smooth out some older repairs. Im not taking the whole car to bare metal; just fix some issues, prime/sealer over the old stuff and shoot it.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 42
I'm having to take a little hiatus from the fun stuff for the nessesary stuff. My youngest son mashed his Cavalier; thank the Lord he wasnt hurt. Got him another car for school and was going to scrap this but as it's only got 80k miles, I decided to fix it and use it for work transportation. I spent the weekend swapping out the K-member and all the componants on the right suspention. Luckily the unibody wasnt hurt. Now for a fender, bumper, windshield, and airbags and it'll be back on the road.

I did get this side of the bodywork where I wanted it and got several coats on 2K primer on.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 40
Did some cleanup in the garage and putzing around on the 49 today; a little sanding, adjusting the doors, got the motor on a stand and started taking the covers of to check the vitals. Im going to start on the other side this week.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 43
Not very motivated today but I did make this to go over the big hole in the trunk that I had cut for the fuel tank. Im trying to decide weather or not to pull the heads on this motor, take a peek at the cylinders and change the gaskets before I put it in. Gaskets are pricy for these SHO motors; they want $350 for a head gasket set with the upper gaskets. But then again if I get it all together and have a problem because I didn't check..........

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 25
I haven't heard it run but the oil and antifreeze looked good and the compression check came out good. I thought about putting a borescope in the spark plug holes and looking it everything that way. Gaskets for these SHO motors are expensive; they want $350 for an upper gasket set.

Ouch! Expensive gaskets. Seems like you've done enough checking to be pretty sure it's okay.

Such a cool project.

catching back up

Sorry to hear about your son's incident! I had one on the 11th, an intoxicated driver ran a stop sign right in front of me, totaled my work truck. i'm in a boot until my fractured ankle heals (6-10 weeks). I'm glad he is ok! build looks good, if that engine looks good I would go with it! I'm surprised that the gasket set hasn't come down in price! That's crazy money for some gaskets! I'd get the inspection camera out and look inside!

Good luck!

Got some primer on the decklid tonight; im hoping to have the whole back end in primer by the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 38
Decided to go ahead and shoot the bottom of the decklid and trunkjamb while it was taped off.

Attachments

• IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
I worked late last night and about 12 hours today finishing up some body work, got the whole thing primered, and got the door jambs painted.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 45
Wet sanding sucks; for sure. I got the back half finished today and put a little spot putty on some nicks and scratches. Now for the doors, top, and front clip. I got the front clip on some saw horses today so i can start on it next. A big plus to all this was the guy i bought the car from had done the body work and primered the front clip, hood, and rear fenders; and did a pretty nice job. The rear fenders sanded out nice and the rest of his work looks just as good.

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back