1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last drop...

I know... thats lame, but I couldn't resist.:rolleyes:

Here is the finished product. I had to stretch the collar. That took a bit of work. Next time, stretch then roll the edge. It needed to stretch further than I thought. The collar is welded in with three stout spot welds. The pinch bolt has been given a kind of twisted existence to clear the increased size of the column with out relocating the pinch bolt holes.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 23
Maxwell House.....I actually got that....lol

the Drop looks "tasty".....will work out great....You are "Chock full" of good ideas Gold..... :D

Seems I am working on several fronts lately. Steering, wheels and tires, exhaust. Got my rims painted. Mat Black spray bombs. We'll see how they stand up. I am highly motivated to get this thing turned into a roller. Might even give the old college try at mounting my own tires! I'm so damn busy can't get time of work to go to tire shop. I do bike tires and the skinny tires shouldn't be to much different. Just need to let the paint cure for a bit.

I need the tires out of my Basement and need the truck off the frame table to do the brake system.

Here are the latest bit from SpeedWay. Wiring barnes and a master cylinder. Harness appears to be goo quality. I'm going to use a one inch bore corvette cylinder and do a manual disk/ disk system for the brakes.:)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 21
thanks guy.

anyone have a trick for getting a tire onto a bead? the Cokers I bought are collapsed bead on bead. Am planning on running tubeless. I know...I'm a rebel[ddd

I thought about the old starter fluid trick, but I'm not sure those bias ply will take it.

I tried a ratchet strap around the tire, but to no effect. [S

A good stout cargo strap will often squeeze the middle in and the beads out. Works kind of like the inflatable ones that we used to have at the gas station. Just don't squeeze to much, or it will put a kink in it and the beads won't seat.

If you get them on the rims, the tire shop wont charge you much for putting air in them usually.

Takes a good high volume of air ...

when the tires are like yours....need a tire machine with a circular bead seating ring that blows a high volume of air at the tire/rim to force it up....I've never seen anyone use ether on a car tire...but I suppose if you limit the amount it could work..but I'd use a very long stick with the flame on it... I'd see if the tire store could just inflate them....much safer....JMHO

Gold, here's some tricks to beading tires with ether. After the tire is mounted and the valve is removed from the valve stem, attach your air hose to the valve stem with a locking air chuck, spray some starting fluid into the tire, and chuck a match into the tire centre. 'WOOF', and your tire will be beaded and pumping up. When the tire is nicely beaded unlatch your locking air chuck and install the valve. Finish pumping up to an appropriate pressure. Good luck.

thanks guy.

anyone have a trick for getting a tire onto a bead? the Cokers I bought are collapsed bead on bead. Am planning on running tubeless. I know...I'm a rebel[ddd

I thought about the old starter fluid trick, but I'm not sure those bias ply will take it.

I tried a ratchet strap around the tire, but to no effect. [S

Lots of old tricks but they can be stubborn. Maybe you could borrow a Cheetah. I used to have a big soft donut that you lubed up with tire spoodge and it just rolled out as the tire beaded up, never failed. I don't know if they even still make those.

I've used the starting fluid trick....scary but works! I also fashioned a tie down strap to tighten around the perimeter of the tire after getting it on the rim. Depending on the tire, you could apply enough pressure for the tire to squish enough to partially contact the beads to the rim. With lots of air pressure with a lock on air chuck, you could pick the tire up and bounch it once on the floor. That bounce would apply just enough sidewall spread to let the air take over.

Sorry for the rehash of ideas already posted. Gold, in that cold weather you have, it would probably work better for you to warm the tires up before trying. Bias plys will be ok with the starter fluid, just a little is needed. The only time I've ever failed on getting tires to bead up was a set of heavy duty truck tires that were 10 ply. They wouldn't squish at all with a strap but the starter fluid trick worked. With home-made tire tools and spoons I've got air in quite a few. Never would and never will mess with a split rim tho...heard some horror stories about those!

Roller!

Tires and rims mounted. The truck is finally off the frame table[cl Looks like the ride hight worked out where I wanted it to. It is hard to see but the rear tires are quite a bit taller than the front and wider as well. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 71
SWEEEEEEET![cl[cl[cl[cl

Sometimes it's worth payin' the man a little. No missing fingertips, is always a good touch.

Latest posts

Back