1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Your "mufflers" at the end of your headers remind me of a rifle fired grenade from WWII...:D

like this!

Attachments

• Grenade_rifle_.jpg
    Grenade_rifle_.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 22
Nice milestone getting it sitting on all four tires. I'll bet you're looking to lots of miles of enjoyment this summer.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

I don't have a box. They are getting kinda expensive up here and I haven't found anyone willing to part with one. Not sure what I'll do yet. I have a plan in my head to build one. Simple box sides with some bead roller work and a bit of fabrication I think I could make one. And that would save an original box for someone else's project one day.

I would like to get the motor running again and see how loud those pipes are. Likely going to need baffles built for it as well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

I don't have a box. They are getting kinda expensive up here and I haven't found anyone willing to part with one. Not sure what I'll do yet. I have a plan in my head to build one. Simple box sides with some bead roller work and a bit of fabrication I think I could make one. And that would save an original box for someone else's project one day.

I would like to get the motor running again and see how loud those pipes are. Likely going to need baffles built for it as well.

Any specific year/make of box you're looking for? There's a few guys I can ask that might have something. If you have a price range in mind PM me and I'll ask around.

Being as there are lots of flatheads running straight pipe exhaust with no mufflers I would be surprised if yours is too loud. Before I got my exhaust done my 455 was surprisingly not that loud. Noisy, but not as loud as I thought.

Likely not an original idea, but... One bed side from most anything close to the same age can be sliced and diced to make a shorty bed. There was such a beast that came with my second cab.

Not sure this attachment works but if it don't there's some bed sides on Kijiji I believe are in your neck of the woods

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 38
Hey guys. I appreciate the positive comments. I'm looking for box sides for a 49 Ford 1/2 ton. Thanks for the tip on the Chev parts, but looking for ford stuff for now.

Hey guys. I appreciate the positive comments. I'm looking for box sides for a 49 Ford 1/2 ton. Thanks for the tip on the Chev parts, but looking for ford stuff for now.

You probably already know this but there are differences in the bed sides between 48-50 and 51-52. You can use the 51-52 but they don't have the bead pattern in them and the stake pockets are a different shape. Or just bend yourself up a set.[cl :D
Torchie.

looking great Gold. on the bed, from what ive read the 48 and up is 48" inside and the earlier ones are narrower aprox. 46" I believe. By the time your done cutting up a stock one it may be easier to use the tail gate you like and make the sides and head board and then pick up the stake pockets from someone like Dennis Carpenter.

I bought four stake pockets, headbord, and roll panel today. I bought 49 stake pockets because they look better, and a smooth head board from 51. I can get an exact replica tail gate, but they are $400:eek: Will have to think on that one. The box is going to be four feet long. I will build box sides myself. I need some one to bend them. My brake is only 36 inches:(. It's always something.

I bought four stake pockets, headbord, and roll panel today. I bought 49 stake pockets because they look better, and a smooth head board from 51. I can get an exact replica tail gate, but they are $400:eek: Will have to think on that one. The box is going to be four feet long. I will build box sides myself. I need some one to bend them. My brake is only 36 inches:(. It's always something.

Depending on what gauge steel you use you can probably bend up the four foot sides with out a break. Look at how ZZ Rodder did his running boards.
Square tubing tack welded to the panels with a couple of arms on either end. Lay the panel on the floor step on it and pull the arms to what ever angle you want.
Your a smart guy. You will figure it out.:D
Torchie.

[cl [cl [cl
[P [P [P

Haven't checked in here in a while... Looking like it's really coming together... Congrats on getting it on all four tires ... I know it's a good feeling

Latest posts

Back