1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mock Box

I'm mocking up the box. What do you think about the length/height of the box?

Going to keep the box low to maximize the look of the tall rear tire and may install a barn board rail on top of box when its done.

I have a hard time getting back far enough to get a picture. Not enough space.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 44
Glad to see you back at it. [cl

Heightwise, the bed looks like it is in the perfect place.

Lengthwise, I think it would balance better if there was about half as much bed behind the tire as there is in front. The pics look like it stops almost right behind the tires.

I could be off a bit. As you said, it was hard to get a good pic.

Height looks good, but I agree, box needs to be longer. I like to see them the same length in front of and behind the tire to balance it out.

I appreciate the comment Skip. I don't want to stretch the truck, but I feel the way you do about the length.

Anyone else? Let me know.

Height looks good, but I agree, box needs to be longer. I like to see them the same length in front of and behind the tire to balance it out.

^^ X2 on this. Equal distance in front and behind the wheel^^[P

Why do what everyone else has already done a hundred times? Why not a covered wagon or an oak barrel, or something unique? (just being "that guy") ;)

My thoughts Gold.
I would raise the bed height. The eye picks up the belt line of the cab and then there is a drop down to the top of the bed. Unless you are going to use a real wide board at the top. Even a couple of inches and then take another look at it.
In regards to the rear over hang. I don't know that you need equa distance fore and aft of the wheel but I would add some more length to the rear side of the tire and see how you like it.
Torchie.

I was looking at 49 Ford pickup pictures and the top of the box lines up with the door handle/ Mine looks a little lower because no round tube on top yet.

I think it needs some steel behind the wheel. more cared board and tape, then I'll post new pictures.

Busy prepping my fifth wheel for sale.

Haven't been able to work on the truck, but it got rolled out for a photo shoot.

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 69
pictures to follow.

The bike is done so its time to get back at this project. I had 18 gauge cold rolled bent into box sides today.

"I would raise the bed height. The eye picks up the belt line of the cab and then there is a drop down to the top of the bed."

I mocked it up that way Torchie, and I like it better. Going short box though. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back