1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mock up

Here is where it's headed. I'll post photos of the sheet metal I picked up tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 57
box sides

Here are the sides I had bent up. 18 gauge. There is a return at the top. not sure how I am going to attach the tubing yet. Have several ideas. Might use the side grinder and cut a slot in the tubing, then weld. Picture of one of the stake pockets I bought with exhaust 1 1/2 tubing.

Used would be cool. But, everyone I found was pretty good shape and I can't seem to cut that up.

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 43
When I built my bed I just put the pipe up and welded it. Being careful not to draw it by welding and cooling with air hose as you go. If it does draw on you,
you can straighten it easily with a soft blow hammer on the floor. You can also make your stake pockets like these that I did.

Good luck and it's looking good.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
We have all seen your welding skills during your chop.
You should have no problem welding on that pipe. Just take your time like POPS said.
[P [;) [P [;) :cool:
Torchie

Progress!!

I know it has been a while. some armchair engineering going on and now this. Tabbed my own box sides from 18 gauge steel. Bought reproduction stake pockets and a box front. Box rails are exhaust tubing. I had a return formed into the top of the box side and managed to weld the tubing from the back side. This leaves a seam, but no grinding. [cl I didn't want the grinding part. I need to lower the box slightly so the top of the box rail lines up with the body line on the side of the cab.

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 42
question for you guys

in my last post in the middle picture just above the Cleco, what is the onset for in the top of the stake pocket? Is there supposed to be some reinforcement between the stake pocket and the box side?

in my last post in the middle picture just above the Cleco, what is the onset for in the top of the stake pocket? Is there supposed to be some reinforcement between the stake pocket and the box side?

Could be for the tailgate latch. Did you buy stock Ford box pockets and if so for what year box? 1948-Mid 50 or 1951-52 as they are different.
Torchie.

Answered my own question by looking back at your pics. They are the earlier style pockets. I tried to find some pics of a stock setup but couldn't.
Torchie

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

It is to tall as it isn't set where it needs to be. I need to get it almost two inches lower to line up with the body line on top and the bottom of the cab on the bottom.

I used the early pockets because I like the look of the curves. I have a rear roll pan and I want to blend the pockets into the roll pan

Your stake pockets were meant for a bedside like this...

attachment.php

... hard to see in that photo, but the bedside "roll" is formed over, around and back under the pocket's flange.

The top of the pocket should butt to the roll. I tried to show what I mean with my crayons... black being the bedside and blue, the stake pocket.

attachment.php

Attachments

• zzz 1939-Ford.jpg
    zzz 1939-Ford.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 71
  • zzz bedside.jpg
    zzz bedside.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Back