1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a really cool set of antique aircraft seat belt buckles... now that I have a use for them, no where to be seen.:mad:

Ain't it always the way.[S and I know i remember saying to self, you'll be able to find them here :rolleyes:
I've seen the clip type four way belt buckles used, their bigger but kind of cool also. [S

Gold, the reason that I voted for chains is If they are in place when the tailgate is opened there's no chance of the tailgate crashing right down and dinging itself up on the bumper, frame ends, box floor, or exhaust pipe ends. It's my paranoia. Somebody will be helping you someday and let it go down and wreck your nice tailgate. They'll be sorry, but you'll still have a wrecked tailgate. They will heal up after another beer or two, but you may not.

Gold, the reason that I voted for chains is If they are in place when the tailgate is opened there's no chance of the tailgate crashing right down and dinging itself up on the bumper, frame ends, box floor, or exhaust pipe ends. It's my paranoia. Somebody will be helping you someday and let it go down and wreck your nice tailgate. They'll be sorry, but you'll still have a wrecked tailgate. They will heal up after another beer or two, but you may not.

I agree. Looking at putting the chains on the inside of the box to keep the outside lines clean, but to preserve the ability to protect the rail gate.

I've been laid up with a flu bug which gives me some time to work on some of these challenges in my head. I think I have a solution.

You can put the folding arm style of tailgate resrtaints on the inside of the box as well Gold.
Keeps the tailgate from having a "Mac" moment but they don't rattle and bang when you 2 track.........
Torchie

A break from tradition

Now that I'm over a pneumonia back to it.:) Todays project. I am using cables like a modern Dodge truck to hold up the tail gate on the inside of the box. Fabricated the hanger end for the side of the box with some grade 8 bolt shaft, a washer and cold rolled steel. Touch with the lathe, drill and weld. You can see the SS hardware that will mount it all. A similar doohickey will go on tail gate to hold that end.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 36
Nice smooth work on the pins and cables gold! I think ya'll over think all the rattles and vibrations....build a loud enough motor and all that's nil...[ddd:D

latched

Simple pin latch inside the box to keep the tail gate area nice and clean.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back