1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I agree and then disagree with the guys without appearing to be too wishy-washy.
My idea was to take some body filler and make the rest of the radii and paint them black. I did that on my homemade banjo wheel, but now after a couple of years there are some thin little cracks coming in the perimeter.

I might try your idea Mac. with some long hair filler. here is todays work. I decided to go with a bolt on for simplicity. cut a step in a nut and then welded it into the wheel. the rest is obvious. I could incorporate some of those stainless bolts into the filler as well[S

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 45
Torchie beat me to it so i will just second his motion [cl
Add me to the list of voters for Torchie's idea. I was thinking the same thing as I read along.

NOTE: I used JB Weld putty to fill the cracks and gaps in a 1959 Freightliner steering wheel a couple years ago. It has been sitting untouched and unpainted since then, as we work on other parts of the project. It appears to have no new cracks in the repaired areas. Seems a good product to use for this job. Easy to apply. Easy to shape. Highly recommended.

Add me to the list of voters for Torchie's idea. I was thinking the same thing as I read along.

NOTE: I used JB Weld putty to fill the cracks and gaps in a 1959 Freightliner steering wheel a couple years ago. It has been sitting untouched and unpainted since then, as we work on other parts of the project. It appears to have no new cracks in the repaired areas. Seems a good product to use for this job. Easy to apply. Easy to shape. Highly recommended.

Did the same on my wheel Skip. I believe I did a step by step on my build thread.
Some claim that JB Weld doesn't expand and contract with temps and that causes it to crack. I have been using it for years to repair not only car or truck steering wheels but also steering wheels on boats that I have restored that have gotten plenty of exposure to the elements. Never had a problem with cracks.
The wheel center is looking good gold.[cl :cool:
Torchie

Went and bought some JB weld putty today to do the steering wheel but thought I would tackle another challenge. The headlight bezels are to big. They are brass and I can't weld them. I thought they would be stainless. So I cut out a section and put them together with backing cut from a spare damaged bezel and JB quick.
You can see how much bigger they were compared to the buckets.The cuts go closest to the truck so not real visible and... its a Rat Rod!

They fit now. Took a little reshaping to get the 3/4 inch diameter down.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3050.jpg
    IMG_3050.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
steering wheel

A little more progress on the steering wheel. Just need to fill the cracks with JB putty and round off the steering wheel with same where I cut it. Thanks for checking in.

Attachments

• IMG_3056.jpg
    IMG_3056.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 32
Tail light mount

Needs a little adjust to level our and then have to build another one.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Guys. Appreciate the positive feedback.

I did some work on the steering wheel today. Filled the cracks and sanded it all down. I like how it turned out. I don't know why but there is an urge to paint it bright red[S

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 27
louvres

Made some progress on the louvres forming. 18 g mild. Not sure where they will end up...maybe at the other end of the hood. We'll have to figure that out.

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back