1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wanna say once again how much i appreciate all those pictures--for me its harder to find the time to take the pics & post them than it is to find time to work on my project! I just noticed that your cab was originally green according to that firewall shot--same color on my 52, which is my next(when i'll start on it i don't know!?) project which is also gonna be 6-powered and bobbed --thanks for the inspiration!!

HRP

It's alive, well at least for a few seconds!

I hooked up the battery to the truck yesterday. I used a 12 gauge jumper wire for the positive just in case something was not right so it wouldn't melt the harness. No sparks, the jumper wire didn't get hot.

Tried a few circuits. No fuses blew. Hooked up the real battery cable. I got headlights, taillights, brake lights, dash lights. Hit the starter it cranks.

I had some issues with the wiring diagram for the harness and the Speedway turn signal. So I contacted Rebel Wiring the makers of the harness yesterday. The Speedway instructions shows one flasher with 3 terminals. The Rebel Harness use 2 Flashers with 2 terminals. So they said to just figure out which wire on the signal was for the flashers and which one was for the signals and hook it up that way. So I did, I have flashers but no turn signals.

I called again today and they said that other people were having trouble with the Speedway signal and they would have someone from Speedway call me to figure this out.

Well any way today I doubled checked all the connections and electrical for the engine. Distributer in right, top dead center on #1 and prime the carb. It fired up and ran a few seconds. Tried it again ran a few more seconds but it doesn't seem to getting enough gas. Might have to double check a couple things on the carbs like float level. But it did run for a little so its getting closer.:D Wife said it was loud, I didn't think so.

First starts and fine tuning

Congratulations DMW! Once you get things dialed in, remember to put that video camera of yours to work. :D There are alot of people anticipating the big day and we really want to hear that engine! With straight pipes, I'm sure it's loud for an inline. :cool:

Thunder

Thats great that it fired.Nothin like hearing it come to life for the first time.I hope you get the carbs dialed in.Then I want to see the burnout vid.

Well I got all he wiring sorted out. Did I mention I hate wiring. Turn signals now work, indicator lights work. Haz lights flash. I had 2 wires crossed at the switch the signal flasher and turn flasher. Plus I had spliced the park lights and turn signal wires to the front lights. I just removed the park light wired and that solved the problem. But no front park lights. I could put in a dual filament bulb socket and hook the back up but it can wait.

I need to get this thing running. Now it acts like its getting to much fuel like it's flooded it tries to run but won't clear up and rev up. Checked the plugs and they were dry. Timming seems to be close its not backfiring or anything. Except for once and it blew my 710 cap off and pvc valve out. The 2 outboard carbs are all the way closed when starting. I might just block them off for now and see if it will run on just the center carb.

I'll just keep trying a few more tricks unti lI call in the calvary.

Well I got all he wiring sorted out. Did I mention I hate wiring. Turn signals now work, indicator lights work. Haz lights flash. I had 2 wires crossed at the switch the signal flasher and turn flasher. Plus I had spliced the park lights and turn signal wires to the front lights. I just removed the park light wired and that solved the problem. But no front park lights. I could put in a dual filament bulb socket and hook the back up but it can wait.

I need to get this thing running. Now it acts like its getting to much fuel like it's flooded it tries to run but won't clear up and rev up. Checked the plugs and they were dry. Timming seems to be close its not backfiring or anything. Except for once and it blew my 710 cap off and pvc valve out. The 2 outboard carbs are all the way closed when starting. I might just block them off for now and see if it will run on just the center carb.

I'll just keep trying a few more tricks unti lI call in the calvary.

Don,Just be real careful if its really dumpin fuel.I have seen them blow the oil filters right off when it backfires if its got to much already in the oil.Boy does it scare the **** out of you and most of the time you will be sprayed with it because you are over the motor trying to tune or adjust the dizzy.

Thanks George, yeah it's always a pain when they don't fire right up. At least I always put the air cleaners on when firing up a new one. I don't look good with no eyebrow.:rolleyes: I'll check the oil and see if there's gas in it to be sure.

First it acted like it wasn't getting fuel and now it acts like it flooded but when I pulled all the plugs they were dry. This is my first multi-carb set-up so I'm learning on this one.

My 2 outboard carbs are matching and the center one is different. I didn't think that would matter because I think on most if not all 3 carb set ups run a different center carb. Plus it's all going into a common plenum not individual or paired runners.

I built up a 200 cid ford six years ago, cam, headers, shaved head, had a 300cid truck six carb on it,, had the same problem, it would start, but run like crap, acted like it was flooded, but it wasn't , It was that the carb was to lean, redid the idle circuit, and rejetted the main , alot, then it ran great..!

I built up a 200 cid ford six years ago, cam, headers, shaved head, had a 300cid truck six carb on it,, had the same problem, it would start, but run like crap, acted like it was flooded, but it wasn't , It was that the carb was to lean, redid the idle circuit, and rejetted the main , alot, then it ran great..!

I don't think it's to lean though. Especially since I live at 6,800 ft altitude. I don't know?

I would try blocking them off and see how it runs. Wouldn't anybody know they were dummy's but you. :) I dont know anything about carbs I had a 600 holley 4 barrel on mine and it was flooding so i put an old 4412 holley two barrel on it for now it runs better with the two barrel.

I think I may have figured it out. When I rebuilt the carbs I set the float level like they said. The only thing is that everyone of them I move the float level up considerably. Which intuitively just didn't seem right. I really couldn't see down the throats so I pulled one off and there is a puddle in the intake. So, I'm going to set the floats back to where they were originally and see what that does.

Any opinions.

OK , I spent most of the weekend fiddling with carbs except going to watch Punkin Chunkin yesterday and the Go-Kart race track today. Yay, got a new fastest personal time, I finally broke into the 26 second range and for 4 consecutive laps. I thought I was loose as he77, all over the track sideways through the corners, just like dirt track racing. :D But I guess that's what it takes to go fast. ;)

Well any way I was messing with carbs, right up there with electrical work on my favorites list. :rolleyes: Saturday I set the floats to close sooner set them 3/32" more down. The power piston on all 3 carbs were stuck. So I had to loosen them up and got them to move freely. Put the 3 back on and the thing still wouldn't start and still flooded. So I pulled all 3 of them off.

Sunday when I got back from the Go-Kart track I made 2 block off plates and blocked off the 2 end mounting holes in the manifold. I'll sneak up on this and try to get it running on 1 carb for now. So I set the float down another 1/16" and checked the center carbs accelerator pump and noticed the spray hole was plugged so I cleaned that out. Put it back one and tried 1 carb. It ran, not the greatest but it ran. I didn't get a chance to set the timing yet it doesn't want to idle but it doesn't smoke had a good 60+ psi oil pressure cold.

It does have some water leaks in the manifold water heat lines, which have been a pain since I put water in the engine. It needs longer hose barbs so I can put 2 clamps in them. But once I get all these little things sorted out I'll get a video and post it. I might just block off the the 2 end carbs and run the center. My wife was right it's "LOUD".

Sound like your having fun also dmw56. I took mine to the cruise in Saturday night got ready to leave and didn't have any headlights or taillights lol messed around pulled the switch and got them to work. found out a wire in the dimmer switch came loose. :eek:

Latest posts

Back