1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks gang.:)
Only got shot in one eye today so that's an improvement.
Ordered some 18 gauge sheet metal to start on making the lower door sill and the lower bed extensions for the project. It will be here on Thurs. If you look at the pic of the truck you can see the sill area under the door. Nothing exists here now as the running board goes under that area but with no running boards this part needs to be made.
I will also be adding to the front and rear skirt that hangs down from the side of the box. I raised the box up and moved the rear fenders forward so these need to be made bigger to cover the frame. and be even with the bottom of the cab
Moving forward at a steady crawl......:rolleyes:
Torchie

Attachments

• Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH12-vi.jpg
    Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH12-vi.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 24
so classy!

do the front wheels rub on turns?

As far as I can tell so far they don't rub but that is also one of the reasons that I stayed with the narrower 600-16 tire instead of using the wider 650-16 tire that many use.
Picked up my sheet metal today. I will start on fab'ing the rocker panels under the doors tomorrow. I will also have to make extensions for below the box to cover up the frame from where the box was raised.
Playing another gig tonight so not much will be done today.
See you all later......
Torchie

Torchie, could I tell you one of my pet peeves before you make your little box skirts. I don't think it will look right if the lower skirt is on the same plane as the box side. There should be a noticeable difference between the plumb of the box-side and the skirt. Otherwise the box will look too deep.
Maybe I'm being too fussy. Heaven forbid, you should fall afowl of my opinionatedness.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19
Torchie, could I tell you one of my pet peeves before you make your little box skirts. I don't think it will look right if the lower skirt is on the same plane as the box side. There should be a noticeable difference between the plumb of the box-side and the skirt. Otherwise the box will look too deep.
Maybe I'm being too fussy. Heaven forbid, you should fall afowl of my opinionatedness.

I understand your point Mac and will take it in to consideration when I get to those.
If you look close at this pic you will see that the skirts for the box sides will also have a raised area to match the now being made rockers that go under the cab bottom to give it a more finished look
Torchie

Attachments

• Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH12-vi.jpg
    Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH12-vi.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 8
On to the rocker panels.....

Stared on the rocker panels that will go under the bottom edge of the cab to give it a finished look since I am not going to use the running boards.
Hand formed 18 gauge steel. Used a wide faced body hammer to work the flange edge over.
I made 2 channels and since I don't have a shrinker/stretcher or an english wheel I used the notch method to be able to bend them to conform to the curve of the cab corners.
Nothing welded yet. Just taped up to have a look see.
See you all later.......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpg
    IMG_2472.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement gang...

I need it lately.:eek:
This part is going real slow as I have to do most of it sitting on the floor and getting up and down with my fake leg is one of the hardest things for me to do.
Having said that.......
Bent and Fitted the PS rocker panel. Looks good but the lower door edge gap will need to be fixed.
Then went back to the DS. As you can see from the pic of the open door with the rocker piece in place there is now an area that has to be filled between the piece that I made and the stock inner sill.
More cutting and bending and now it is filled in. Going to do the PS tomorrow and then get to welding it all in.
Off to spend some time out in the sunshine.:D
Thanks for checking in on me.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg