1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays plan was to install some new parts and get the engine fired up.
Well as these things tend to go lately it didn't happen At least the firing up part.:(
New carb. New plugs. New plug wires. New coil. No Fire.:eek:
Turns out that my current Cap is bad and I couldn't lay my hands on where I hid the new one that I bought so that's it for today.
I also pulled the wheels. Going to get the tire removed nad the rims blasted this week.
Thanks for keeping me company.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 25
Looking real good. I have that same problem with stuff gettinglost. I've been buying those plastic containers with the snap on lid. They keep dirt out and you can stack and label them. It's about the only way I can find anything anymore. Could it be age? Naw, couldn't be.

Looking real good. I have that same problem with stuff gettinglost. I've been buying those plastic containers with the snap on lid. They keep dirt out and you can stack and label them. It's about the only way I can find anything anymore. Could it be age? Naw, couldn't be.

Well, just maybe [S

I've got 3 of those marked with labels.
One is labeled -Olds Parts
One is labeled- 41 parts
And one is labeled F-1 parts.
It wasn't in any of theses 3 :eek: :eek: :eek:
It's getting way past about age.......:rolleyes:
Torchie

Looking good Torchie, I put stuff in a special place so I won't loose them all the time, problem is I can never remember where that place is and usually end buying another one.[S

Todays plan was to install some new parts and get the engine fired up.
Well as these things tend to go lately it didn't happen At least the firing up part.:(
New carb. New plugs. New plug wires. New coil. No Fire.:eek:
Turns out that my current Cap is bad and I couldn't lay my hands on where I hid the new one that I bought so that's it for today.
I also pulled the wheels. Going to get the tire removed nad the rims blasted this week.
Thanks for keeping me company.....
Torchie

I feel your pain. I was looking for a box of rocker retainer buttons for a week that I needed to be able to start my truck. They were in another box in the cab of my truck the entire time :mad:

I walked out of the house one time, jumped into my pickup truck to go to work...
Got to the parking lot in town....
[S where's my truck ? [S
Trailer is here......??
D'oh..... drive back home.. park pickup..
Walk out in front yard , fire up peterbilt :---- head to work....
Yeah....i know , i know .... walked right past it ...

Long post warning......

Ok....
Now that we have determined that many of us on here suffer from CRS lets get back to it.
Er...... Where were we. Oh yeah......[ddd
So I've hit a snag in my well planned out build.:eek: The plan is to use the much loved 1947-50 Cadillac Sombrero style wheel covers on my traditional custom. As you custom guys already know, these have been the go- to covers that were used on many of the iconic builds from back in the day.'There has always been a process involved when using these covers as they were designed to fit Cadillac wheels only. They are held on by a inner cap that snaps onto the OUTSIDE of the inner rim. The Ford rims of this era had only dog dish caps that snapped onto the INSIDE of the inner rims. So most welded a beauty ring to the back side of of the Caddy cover to hold it to the Ford rim.
This is where my problems begin.
I did all the necessary mods to the Caddy cap only to find that it wouldn't sit down flush into the Ford rim.[S
After much searching it turns out that most of the cars that used these covers went to a 15" rim as the offset was deeper. Now they tell me.
My solution is to have the rims modified to allow the cover to sit flush. This will entail cutting all the rivets and moving the inner hub back about 1/2 " and then welding them up.
Since I am not a real welder I have found a local Fab shop that is undertaking this job.
So now we wait........
Thanks for looking in on me.
Torchie
Pic 1-2. The stock 41 Ford 16 " rim. These are narrow rims(4") and since I have the new tires already to go we will make the rims work.
Pics 3-4. The beauty rings that I will use to attache the caddy covers.
Pics 5-7. The cap on the inside of the Caddy cover that attaches the cover to the stock Caddy rim. This has to be cut off.
Pic 8. You can see the cap that is left. This happens because of the high doomed area in the center of the Ford rim. Can't have that. Can we????
I am hoping to hear back from the shop today as I took the rims there on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 17
While I'm waiting for the rims I started to work on the frame for the box.
A couple of issue to deal with here are. The box being raised to the cab belt line level.
The frame not being a truck frame it has a kick up over the rear axle as well as no bed mounts. We will have to frame around the kick up.
Started off by getting the box off the frame which by myself was a lot of Fun.:eek: :D [cl
Then cut some square tube to make a perimiter frame the made some cross pieces. Squared everything up and started to weld.[;) [;)
Pics tell the story.
Guy called and said he had the rims apert and would call me in the morning when they were done.:cool: [cl
That's it for tonight. See you all tomorrow.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 20
Looking good. That's quite a production to get a set of hub caps to fit. I still have a set of spider caps that aren't on my car cause I can't find the time to ream out the holes for the lug nuts. [cl[cl[cl

Looking good. That's quite a production to get a set of hub caps to fit. I still have a set of spider caps that aren't on my car cause I can't find the time to ream out the holes for the lug nuts. [cl[cl[cl

Agreed NickFish and if I didn't already have 2 of the uber expensive 16" Caddy sombreros I would have gone another way. So I guess this is my big splurge for this build.:eek: :)
Got the rims back this morning. Time for some paint. Plan is to get the tires mounted in the morning.
Also found out that the only thing harder for me then taking off the truck box was putting it back on and taking it off again.:eek: :eek: :eek: .
Should be the last time as the next time it goes on it will be mounted but I needed to check some clearances with the kick up and the rear cross member.
First pic show the new gap between the cover and the rim on the modified rims. rest are self explanitory.
Off to meet some friends for dinner so have a great night everybody......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2420.jpg