1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heheheh...[cl...Now what kind of problem are you having with that mill?

Can't get it to fire smallfoot.
New plugs.Wires. Cap,rotor,points,condenser. Coil. New carb.
Spark is getting to the plugs .Dump fresh gas down the carb. But no fire.[S
Can't even get it to cough......
I have never had one do this to me before.
Torchie

Torchie

[SWhen all else fails here's where i go. "gas-compression-sprak-in the right order" [S
Good luck :D

Torchie

[SWhen all else fails here's where i go. "gas-compression-sprak-in the right order" [S
One more thing, "new means new not good"

Does the distributor have counter clockwise rotation like a Pontiac?
Make sure the number one piston is at top dead center and on the firing cycle, rotor bug is pointing to the number one plug wire too.
Check the firing order again. Just because it has spark doesn't mean it's right.

Check the firing order again. Just because it has spark doesn't mean it's right.

Yeah, been there, done that. Wired a 460 Ford by the book 3 times, just didn't wire it in the direction the rotor turned! When I finally realized what I was doing, I felt about two inches high! :eek:

One more thing, "new means new not good"

Does the distributor have counter clockwise rotation like a Pontiac?
Make sure the number one piston is at top dead center and on the firing cycle, rotor bug is pointing to the number one plug wire too.

Thanks for the replies gang..........
Checked all of that stuff more than once already. Yes OI the Dist rotates counter clockwise.
As far as I can tell timing is on. Firing order is right(Wires from cap to plugs). ect.....And believe me I know about new not meaning good or even works.....:eek::)
That's whats got me stumped. I have worked on engines where the timing has been waaaaaaaaay off and I can at least get a cough out of them. Same for compression. I have messed with V-8's that have had multiple cylinders with lousy or no compression and they have started and run, Albeit poorly. But they started.
I haven't messed with this vintage of Olds engines in about 40 years so there may be something that I am missing. For right now I have taken a break from the engine and will go back to it in a few days with hopefully "fresh eyes."
Torchie

Torchie, you can check it and see but I just pulled out my old Motors Auto Repair Manual. Just happen to have one that covers those years. I went back into your thread to see what that Olds motor was and if you're sure it's a 53, I might have found a discrepancy. The manual shows the 1953 V8 324 as having a counter clockwise distributor rotation. The Oldsmobiles didn't start using clockwise rotation till 1961 according to this manual. And they had several engines after that some went counter clockwise while others went clockwise. The only example for 1953 was counter clockwise. In case you got some bad info on firing order too...this says 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2 which also differs from later V8s.

No problem brother.:)
The motor is a 1954 Olds 324. CCW rotation on the dist and you have the firing order correct smallfoot.
It's just that in all the years(Over 40 now:eek:) that I have been messing with this stuff I have never had an engine that had spark-fuel-and air not at least give me a cough or a back fire.[
If I feel up to it today I mess with it some more.
I will update as needed.
Torchie

looks amazing sitting still anyway haha. I would have a 10 year old tow me around with a lawnmower just to get the looks.

tried a squirt of oil in the cylinders?

looks amazing sitting still anyway haha. I would have a 10 year old tow me around with a lawnmower just to get the looks.
The fact that it looks amazing even sitting still is one of the reason that I still work on it at this point.[ddd

Are you sure the distributor is rotating when you crank it? Or that the timing is spot on? If you've got air, fuel, and spark, maybe it's a major timing issue like the timing chain has skipped a link or the woodruff key fell out.

Distributor is turning which has been verified by removing the cap and cranking the engine.
Timing is as spot on as I can get it without it running. No 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. Roter points to the contact that goes to the wire that goes to the number 1 cylinder.ect......
My only thought at this point is that it is getting spark but not a strong enough spark to fire the engine. Which would lead one towards the coil which I have replaced twice already. I am using a coil without a resistor (Internal or external) so I should be getting a full 12 + volts to the dist which should allow it to fire.
I'm stumped.
In other news....
Nothing photo worthy but I modified and mounted the other Cadillac sombrero. Adjusted out the front brake shoes in anticipation of the new MC that I have coming. And drill and bolted the front fender bottoms to the new rocker panels.
Going to keep plugging away at it.
Thanks for looking in and keep those ideas coming......
Torchie

234 pages and yesterday was the first time I realized you had a build thread going. I need to look around on here more.

This is an amazing build. Proportions are perfect. Can't wait to see what is keeping the engine silent. Thanks for posting it.

Got to be the coolest truck I've seen
Thanks Merc52.

234 pages and yesterday was the first time I realized you had a build thread going. I need to look around on here more.

This is an amazing build. Proportions are perfect. Can't wait to see what is keeping the engine silent. Thanks for posting it.

LOL. 234 pages and maybe 40 are about the build DJ3100. [ddd
The rest is all about the life that happens during the build.:eek: ;)
Torchie

All those pages of non-build show how much the people here care for you. You are an interesting guy and have had a lot of life experiences most of us will not have. Not to mention, you are a very good artist/builder that can succeed with very little moola.

We should clone you.

I spent about an hour and a half today going through the build and the life. Didn't read everything, but did get a look at most of the pics and an idea of the life. I am amazed and impressed that the build continues through all the life stuff.

I missed what happened to the flathead.

Latest posts

Back