1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan is do do a relief cut the width of the door on the inside and lean them in. Most likely parralel (sp) to the body line so that the window channels are still straight.

That is online with what I did. I weld the out side first, then leaned the frame into the cab and welded the inside.

Ok. So I spent a little time out in the garage today. This is what i got done before the 3 drop rule kicked in(Dropping something 3 times. Then I stop what I am doing).
The A pillars are welded and now it is time to trake a look at the cab corners.

First pics shows the alignment after the chop.
Second shows the gap we are dealing with. It is going to need at least 1 if not 2 relief cuts to bring it all together.
Marker shows where I made the first cut. That piece came into line nicely but there was still to much curve to bring the rest of it in so I made a second cut. As predicted by GJunctionMike-2 cuts.:)

The corner lined up well and will have very little if any flat spots to deal with. I am not thrilled with my gaps especialy the first relief cut as I seemed to have gotten zealous with the cut off wheel. If I have to I will put a filler strip in this gap. Although it is hard to tell from the pics I am happy with the way the corner flows.
On to the other corner tomorrow if the hands feel up to it.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 139
Thats looking great man!

If you are concerned about welding the relief cuts, back up your weld with a flattened piece of copper pipe. Cut a little thin filler and it will weld up fine.

go slow.

gold03

Let the fun begin!!!
Cut the pass. side corner and cuts turned out better than the driver side. I guess I got my groove back:D
Most likely last pic I will post until I get to working on the roof split. Don't want to bore everyone with the repitition of it all [;)
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 85
We don't get bored unless there are no photos....

Let the fun begin!!!
Cut the pass. side corner and cuts turned out better than the driver side. I guess I got my groove back:D
Most likely last pic I will post until I get to working on the roof split. Don't want to bore everyone with the repitition of it all [;)
Torchie.

So just keep the photos coming...LOL...:D

So I was wrong about posting more pics this soon:eek:

Had aan eye doctor appointment this morning but now things are clearing up so out to the shop I went.
Started welding up the cab corners. Not the best and not the worst but I am satisfied with it.
Only going to need a real thin slicky of lead(If Ican afford it)) to clean it all up nicely.
Got some of the young bloods coming over tonight so the paln is to get going on the roof filler piece. So if we make any progress I will post more pics later.
Torchie.[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 113
  • picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 123
So with some help tonight we started working on the roof filler piece.

We cut a piece wider than the gap and attached it to the rear portion of the roof with butt clamps.
Using a jack and some lumber the roof was then pushed up to what looks the best position.
Marked the metal filler for width then removed and cut off the excess.
After cutting the piece was put back in. We then raised the jack and returned the roof to it proper height plus a slight gap for the butt clamps.

Once the clamps were in place but still loose the roof was let down allowing everything to align properly. Then the clamps were tightened.
You can see the inside mark in the one pic that was where the roof edge was befor we jacked it back into place. It doesn't seem like much but it makes a big difference.
Tomorrow night we will work on the other 2 roof pieces.
Torchie.[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 106
So I was wrong about posting more pics this soon:eek:

Had aan eye doctor appointment this morning but now things are clearing up so out to the shop I went.
Started welding up the cab corners. Not the best and not the worst but I am satisfied with it.
Only going to need a real thin slicky of lead(If Ican afford it)) to clean it all up nicely.
Got some of the young bloods coming over tonight so the paln is to get going on the roof filler piece. So if we make any progress I will post more pics later.
Torchie.[;)

Love that your gonna use lead! Have you looked into eastwoods leadless body solder kit? I've used it and its pretty darn slick! Easier then bondo as far as m concerned.

Love that your gonna use lead! Have you looked into eastwoods leadless body solder kit? I've used it and its pretty darn slick! Easier then bondo as far as m concerned.

Yes I have looked at the leadless stuff from Eastwood. I have heard that it is harder to work with than the real stuff but have no experiences using it. I read that one of the benefits of using it is that you can sand it. Is that true?

You are the first person that I have talked with that used the stuff. Any info you would can share would be greatly appreciated by me as well as others here on RRR. Thanks.
Torchie[;)

Yes I have looked at the leadless stuff from Eastwood. I have heard that it is harder to work with than the real stuff but have no experiences using it. I read that one of the benefits of using it is that you can sand it. Is that true?

You are the first person that I have talked with that used the stuff. Any info you would can share would be greatly appreciated by me as well as others here on RRR. Thanks.
Torchie[;)

I used it to fix a gas tank that I swapped a cap out in for an aircraft style cap and butchered the tank doing it.
It was so easy it's not even funny. I didn't do much hand sanding with the stuff, but I used a flap wheel on the grinder (insert Safty speech here) and it worked great. Best part is, if you take too much out, heat it up and add a bit more to it and keep going.
Ill have to dig through my pictures and see if I have any of the process. I'm afraid I don't as that was before I realized that photos are awesome to have around.

I did end up powder coating that tank too and it held up fine.

That looks awesome! Thanks for the pictures and the description of the process. With the lift jack it all really lines up great. looking forward to seeing it all welded up.

"butt clamps" thats another name for a cracked toilet seat:eek: That just came to me after a couple glasses of wine. I should put that in my profile!

gold03

That looks awesome! Thanks for the pictures and the description of the process. With the lift jack it all really lines up great. looking forward to seeing it all welded up.

"butt clamps" thats another name for a cracked toilet seat:eek: That just came to me after a couple glasses of wine. I should put that in my profile!

gold03
I am looking forward to seeing it all welded up as as well. Was out in the shop for a while today but it seemed that I was doing more bad than good so I am all done for today.
I think maybe you either need more wine or perhaps less[S
Torchie.

Just a little update to keep the thread going.
The young bloods never came over to help this weekend so I spent most of it relaxing[cl
Got back out there today and started to weld up the passenger side corner of the cab.
Made some filler pieces for the larger gaps and taked everything in then broke out my expensive metal shaping tool. Great way to make some nice curves.

Some door parts that I ordered arrived today so tomorrow will be spent on putting the door latches back in and realigning the doors yet again. And hopefully putting the final pieces of roof filler in.
Torchir[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 127
Current progress report.
Roof filler piece in place and clamped except for the passenger side curve. I did not need to do a relief cut on the drivers side but don't know yet about the passenger side. The difference on this side seems more than the other side but I will reserve that call until I do some more massaging.

Put the rebuilt latch's back into the doors and now they stay shut with out a clamp. But they still need some in/out adjustment and I am not real thrilled with the door edge gap on the drivers door to the back post. Kind of tight.
The drivers door was the one that didn't fit that well when I got the cab and I thought that i had fixed it prior to the chop but even with all the bracing I am not sure that something didn't shift.:(
Oh well this is what makes it fun[cl

In the final pic you can get an idea of the original door top angle and how they will need to be leaned in to compensate for not widening the top.

No welding or the next couple of days as I spent 3 hrs at the eye dr's having some work done. Back there on Monday for more so I might just spend some time working on other parts of the build and take a brake from the top.

P.s. We are forcasted for some more snow around here tonight and tomorrow. Maybe I should be building a sled.
Torchie:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 100
Don't want to do something to mess up the ole peepers

You know it Old Iron! back Monday for laser work on the left eye. Injection in the right eye yesterday:eek:

While waiting for my wife to get ready to go to breakfast this morning I was sitting out in the garage and doing some mental engineering (My wife calls it staring) on the project. My wife comes into the garage and we had a little conversation that went like this.

Mrs.Torchie-Your staring at the truck again.

Mr Torchie-I'm engineering.

Mrs Torchie-I like the fact that your going to use the hood. I like the hood.

Mr Torchie- I wasn't planning on using the hood. I want to see the engine.

Mrs Torchie- Why don't you cut some windows in the hood and fill them with wire mesh.

Mr Torchie- Who have you been talking to on RRR;)
Anyway I did get somthing done this afternoon. The drivers side door was a real tight fit. This is the door that didn't shut when I got the cab. I thought that I had it lined up before the chop but once I rebuilt the latch so it would stay shut there was no cap between body and door at the belt line.

So I took some quick measures off the passenger sid e and sure enough the was a about a 3/8 difference from one door opening to the other. So after some more mental enginering this is what I did.

1st pics shows the gap or lack thereof. Pic is decieving as there is no gap at all at this point. I left the door sills in when I channelled the car because they were solid and to help everything keep it's place. Oh well.

2nd pics shows cutting away the floor frame from the body. And of course it is in a hard to reach area.

3rd pic shows the real cause of the problem. This brace came undone some time in the last half century allowing things to shift and twist. So using a big clamp I was able to bring it back in.
And wow! There is my gap.

4th pic. Just a little application of pressure to help things along.

5th pic show the end results. Again the pics are decieving as there is a nice workable gap now.. Not trying to get it perfect but to just do the best I can.
Torchie[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2730.jpg