1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you've made some good progress while I was gone [cl
Your floorboards will be a piece of cake with your cad :D

More work with the cad...

Cut and fitted the PS template as well as the piece that runs along the back of the cab. That one is going to need some more fitting as evidenced by the light showing thru on the 3rd pic.
Toying around with the idea of making this main section out of one piece of metal. Then overlaying in the rear cab corners as compared to cutting out 3 or 4 sections and piecing it all together. Some of that may be determined by how big a piece of sheet metal I can drag home.
Of course with one piece if I make any bad cuts..................:eek:
As always thoughts and ideas are welcomed
Off to the eye Drs.
Thanks for stopping in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 18
I know what you mean, the single piece would look cleaner but might be a bear to do...it'll come out alright either way you go!

It is metal.

It can be welded, ground, and sanded to remove evidence that it was multiple pieces.

If that isn't good enough...bondo and paint. ;)

I know what you mean, the single piece would look cleaner but might be a bear to do...it'll come out alright either way you go!

Thanks for the vote of confidence smallfoot. I appreciate it:D

It is metal.

It can be welded, ground, and sanded to remove evidence that it was multiple pieces.

If that isn't good enough...bondo and paint. ;)

Agreed Flipper.
Not worried about the "one vs many pieces" being evident. Just more like the "Whats going to fit the best and be easiest for me and my tired old A...." part of the program.:D
I tend to get focused on some little imperfection when it comes to things fitting. It's a throwback to my wooden boat restoration habits.
As my beloved wife once told me when I was complaining about fitment while installing a tongue and groove pine ceiling 18 feet up in the air and she was standing on the ground. " It looks good from here" [cl
Torchie.

No pics but I finished up the floor patterns.
As some of you know I posted over on the metal working sections some questions in regards to the use of galvanized metal. The concensus was to stay away from it. Which lines up with my thoughts. But every once in a while I need to hear something from voices other than the ones in my head.[ddd

Priced out a 4'x8' sheet of 16 gauge cold rolled steel. $140 with tax in round figures.:eek: Not a reality with my financial situation being what it is.
So I am going to head over to the local yard with a tape measure and see if I can either get a hood or two or possibly a roof that will work. I would think that it's got to be cheaper.
Torchie.

Man, I hope ya'll don't pay that for sheet. I know 16 ga is is heavier and more expensive than 18 ga but my last sheet of 18 ga was 4'x10' and was only $47 and change.

Wow Torchie that seems real steep for a sheet of 16 gauge! I know for a fact that i bought a 4'x 8' sheet of 1/8" thick cold rolled steel about a year ago and it was less than $140. Good luck on your search. Maybe there's a different steel supplier you could try? The scrap yard idea is a good one though.

-Chris

Odds and ends kind of day......

It appears that the sheet metal issue has been solved.[cl
Recieved a call this morning from my local welding supply shop and they quoted me a price that was less than half what the steel supply shop gave me for the same gauge and sheet demensions.[S
Should be here on Friday.
Finished blasting the front fender and did a quick repair on my daughters car so she can still drive it while waiting to get it into the shop.
Picked off a coyote on her way home the other night....:(
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 23
A blank canvas no more......

Some how half the day got away from me before I was able to start on the cutting but here we go.
Pics 1-3
Pattern laid out on the metal and starting to cut. 16 gauge is fairly stout so I had to use my air angle gringer with a thin kerf cutting blade on it. Works but takes time for the compressor to catch up. Hard to tell from the pics and the shreds of tape but makes a nice smooth cut.

Pic 4. The guy that my wife refers to as "not so cheap" labor.:rolleyes: :rolleyes

Pic 5-7. Main section of the floor set in for trial fitting. Needs to have a little trim here and there. But it fits well along the rear of the cab.:D
The hardest part of this was getting the one piece into the cab. Going to be interesting trying to get it out.[S
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 17
That floor is lookin awesome.
Those little die grinders were really not designed to cut 16 ga. but, will with patience.

I looked around and found some pretty thin cutting disks for my electric angle grinder so I didn't have to wait on my compressor to keep up. I'm getting disks that cut .045" kerfs. Work pretty well too. Floor is looking good Torchie!

That floor is lookin awesome.
Those little die grinders were really not designed to cut 16 ga. but, will with patience.

I've got lots of patience OI. :D I just take my time and let the tool do the work.

I looked around and found some pretty thin cutting disks for my electric angle grinder so I didn't have to wait on my compressor to keep up. I'm getting disks that cut .045" kerfs. Work pretty well too. Floor is looking good Torchie!

I was going to go that route smallfoot but I have about 100 of these discs and I blew my budget (Or lack there of) on the metal. The main piece will be the worst of the cutting everything else is short cuts. At this point it's use what I've got time.:D
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back