1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchie, I admire your skill and perserverance. I had a machine shop remove a broken drill bit from a cast iron head by EDM. It cost a bit but no damage was done.

You are right about flathead blocks so it is a good idea to do no damage. I am enjoying your project. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Sux about the bolt! Have ya tried the paraffin yet? Don't know if that'll screw up trying to weld back to it...drawing at straws...

Sux about the bolt! Have ya tried the paraffin yet? Don't know if that'll screw up trying to weld back to it...drawing at straws...

Didn't do the paraffin/candle wax bit yet smallfoot. I read about all these "tricks" to getting snapped off and seized up studs and bolts out of blocks and truthfully none of them have ever worked for me.[S
If my eyes were better and my hands steadier I would be tempted to torch it out.:eek:
Having said that I am going to by pass it for now and just plan on having a shop take it out when the time comes. The trees are already starting to turn here which means that things that I need to do that have to be done outside are first priority. So it's going to be back to blasting and then on to power washing the frame and such.
Summers not over yet but today sure looked and felt like a fall day. At least here.:(
Torchie.

Torchie, I admire your skill and perserverance. I had a machine shop remove a broken drill bit from a cast iron head by EDM. It cost a bit but no damage was done.

You are right about flathead blocks so it is a good idea to do no damage. I am enjoying your project. Keep up the good work.

Thanks bob w.
I believe I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday. I hope it was a good one.
Torchie.

Thanks for the comment Chaz.
You can't tell from the pics but I did weld inside the nut as well as out.
Who knows. This bolt may have been snapped of 40 years ago and there looks to be a fair amount of corrosion on the remaining shaft.
My main concern is that I don't make matters worse as good flathead blocks are getting scarce in my neck of the woods.
I will give it one more try though.
Torchie.

Honestly, with the amount of skill you show & knowledge you bring to the board, it was pretty cheeky of me to think you wouldn't have known & done that in the first place.

Carry on & I'll return to my [P (we need a notetaking smiley).
-Chaz

Drill-out jig

I found this on "another site" & thought it might be helpful.
<('@')>
I know you may have already settled on taking the block to a machine shop & if so, please disregard.

-Chaz
Caddy-O said:
Here are some jigs that I made to drill out broken exhaust bolts.

I'm sure they would work for other applications where the bolt is broken flush with the surface.

Here's how I use them for broken manifold bolts:

1. Remove exhaust manifold

2. Tap a thread in the manifold hole to match jig thread

3. Re-install manifold

4. Screw jig into threaded hole

5. Drill through broken bolt

6. Repeat process with graduating hole sizes in your jig until most of the seized bolt is removed.

7. Chase the hole with tap.

8. Yo, problem solved (vanilla ice)

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
Honestly, with the amount of skill you show & knowledge you bring to the board, it was pretty cheeky of me to think you wouldn't have known & done that in the first place.

Carry on & I'll return to my [P (we need a notetaking smiley).
-Chaz

Chaz.
No problem. You just keep on being cheeky.:D Any and all comments that lead to a solution are always welcomed.
Lots of people on here with a vast array of knowledge. And the best part is that they are all willing to share that knowledge without being judgemental.[cl[cl
For those of us that grew up BC (Before Computers) we would have to seek out some one that had the information that we needed. Usualy some one older. And believe me, some of them weren't exactly friendly when it came to having a snot nosed kid asking questions. But that is how we learn.
And thanks for the link to the drill guide.
My biggest concern in drilling is the fact that my eye sight is going to heck and even with a guide I would probably miss the bolt.:eek::D
I will do the disassembly and reassembly on the engine but it will most likely need some machine work as well as a good hot tanking to clean it out. So while it is there I will have them take care of the 2 broken bolts.
At least that's the current plan. :)
Torchie.

More blasting....

Typical rust issues in the cab corners and I drug out the front fender to finish that up but I ran out of medium.....
Picking up more tomorrow.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 17
Beautiful day outside. So why am I in the garage....

...because there's welding to do.:D
Nice to do some welding that doesn't need to be ground down.
Torchie.[;) [;) [;)

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 25
I will probably regret this in the morning....

.. These frame are heavy!!
But moved it around my self to take advantage of the afternood sun to dry it after power washing it.
So here are some before and afters. Not perfect but oh so much better. Original Ford grey on the wheels.
Thanks for lookihg in....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 27
Todays effort round 2....

Had some help stop by tonight so we got some more done. He helped me drag the chassis back in to the garage.
We pulled the rear end and then put the frame up on barrels where it will be at a better height for me to work on it.
The original 41 rear had a set of tube shocks added at some point but not exactly a great setup. So off they came.
The last 2 pics shows the 47-8 Ford rear that I picked up last summer out of a running driving car. It's in real nice shape.
The difference between the 41 and the later 47-8 rear end is the fact that the 47-8 is about an inch wider and it also uses a panhard bar. The 41 spring is also mounted under load so you need a spring spreader to get it apart.
Felt good too actually get something accomplished today.
Thanks for looking in......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 19
Do you have some wheel dollies Torchie? They sure help me around here...

Yes I do smallfoot and I use them all the time. :D Just not much good on the dirt/sand driveway.:eek:
Some times I just like to take a trip back to the days when I could do all of this stuff by myself. ;)
Torchie.

Cutting and grinding. More boring stuff.

Spent a couple of hours cleaning the unnessecary stuff off the frame.
Pic 1. Lots of odds and ends as well as the old motor and trans bolts and biscuts. Also the front axle bump stops which will be replaced.:D

Pics 2-4. After power washing the frame is supposedly ready to get a coat of chassis saver. This frame is still strong but has seen more than it's share of the elements. I took a sanding disc to a portion of the frame to see how it would turn out. :eek: Looks like I will be sanding at least the outside frame rails.
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 14