1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a nice break when you can do something else besides cut n patch n grind

My wife has me cutting and welding up yard art to sell at some of the local farmers markets. So I switched out my spool of expensive easy grind to just standard wire. Lots of plasma cutting and welding. But very little grinding.[cl[cl

I can tell it ain't your first dance the way you set your chains....[cl
I also came to the conclusion I needed to take a break from the arc after putting roll number 6 in the machine, but as usual, soon as it was set, started burning again...jeez!

I have a thing about pulling heavy stuff. Somewhere in my mind while I am doing it I always picture it falling....:eek:[S. Seperation anxiety perhaps.:p
I should have pulled the intake as well smallfoot but I was on a scheduel and didn't want to take the time.
I may regret all the grunt labor today when I get up in the morning. Going to pull the rear end and move the frame outside next.
Torchie.

Yeah Torchie, I work primarily with a chain fall and have several short chains close by for different chain hook-ups. That extra chain can level anything.

What are you going to paint the frame with ?

Still up in the air about that IB.
I tend to use Rustoleum products for things like the frame,axles,and stuff like that. Their satin black is real close to matching original Ford frame paint. I think Ford called it China black. Plus I don't really care for glossy frames. And the price is right.
My friend that runs a parts store is trying to get me to use Chassis Saver paint. It is produced by the guy the came up with the original forumla for Por 15. Not as pricey though. And their claim is that you can shoot it right over the rust and pits with just a quick removal of any flaking or grease.
My experience with Por 15 has been mixed. Plus you still have to UV coat it or it fails. Not that the frame will see much sun.;)
My budget doesn't really allow for powder coating. And since I sold my truck transporting the frame would be an issue as well.
Torchie.

1 step forward.......

......and 2 steps back.
Finally found a hour to myself so I went out to the shop to swap the nailhaed block off the engine stand and put the flatty on.
Pics 1 and 2. Got the trans seperated from the flathead.

Pic 3. Put on my flathead style engine stand mount.

Pics 4 and 5. Managed to muscle off the nailhead block and set it on the floor.

Pic 6. :eek: Mounting pipe on the flathead adapter is bigger than the reciever on my stand. Man I am getting old.......

Pic 7. Going to have to pull the mounting plate off the nailhead block and use it for the flat head. On the earlier style flathead blocks using this style of mount is not recommended as they can crack the bolt holes on the intergrated bellhousing.
Being that this is an 8ba block that has the seperate bellhousing it is ok to use this style of mount as it will screw directly into the block.
Looking to get this switched around tomorrow.
Thanks for stopping by....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 22
Rainy day so I got back out into the shop and finished mounting the flat head on the engine stand.
Off with the bell housing. Starter and plate. Pressure plate and clutch as well as the fly wheel.
Only crushed 1 finger between the flywheel and the floor so all in all it's been a good day.;)
Supposed to get FROST tomorrow night.:eek::eek:
Short summer.[S
Thanks for stopping by.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 28
The bitch of it is that this guy said that he scrapped 2 car trailer loads of flatheads last year when scrap prices around here were high.
He bought the neighboring property and it used to be a junk yard. The old guy that owned it kept every flathead and the parts that he got. Plus, all the engines were on home built stands and the guy had NOS parts as well.

He told me that he had a few responses to the add and everyone tryed to lowball him. He sold one motor and gave the guy that bought it all the NOS parts because he didn't want to throw them out.
Said he got $3000 in scrap and he was trying to sell it all for $2500.
I never saw the ad.
Enough to make a grown man cry:(
Torchie.

Torchie , like I said in another of your posts ... the trouble with northern Michigan is you hear about this stuff after the fact .... I do constant search's on Craigslust use a lot of keywords , one being " flathead " and I never saw that ad ... wonder where he advertised ???
Oldog

Bout time you did a build thread

Torchie , like I said in another of your posts ... the trouble with northern Michigan is you hear about this stuff after the fact .... I do constant search's on Craigslust use a lot of keywords , one being " flathead " and I never saw that ad ... wonder where he advertised ???
Oldog

Bout time you did a build thread

He said that it was on Craigs list Oldog. I never saw it either and like you I am on CL daily or was at least at that time.....
Torchie.

Todays goal.....

...is to strip all the unneccesary mounts and brackets off of the frame. As well as the neccesary parts that will be kept so that the frame can be moved outside for power washing.
Left the rear end under it so that I can move it myself.
Still haven't got the front axle back from the guy that was doing me a favor and pressing out the king pins.[S
Also a good time to do a little clean up in the shop.
Thanks for visiting...
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 21
Happy to see ya making some headway [cl
You're not in the boat of elusive parts [S
The engine builder, for some reason, keeps telling me the nailhead will be done in two ta three days :(

Happy to see ya making some headway [cl
You're not in the boat of elusive parts [S
The engine builder, for some reason, keeps telling me the nailhead will be done in two ta three days :(

What in the world is he looking for OI.[S
Its getting so that if you don't build a SBC, something is always an issue. I've been in this area for around 40 years and my old machine shop closed so now I have to search for a new one that knows something about the older stuff.
Still can't wait to see your nailhead.[P[P[P
Torchie.

What in the world is he looking for OI.[S
Its getting so that if you don't build a SBC, something is always an issue. I've been in this area for around 40 years and my old machine shop closed so now I have to search for a new one that knows something about the older stuff.
Still can't wait to see your nailhead.[P[P[P
Torchie.
See that's not the issue.
I made sure he had all the new parts, within the first 4 days of taking him the engine :confused:

Working on the firewall.
Lots of little holes. A few medium sized. And one big patch right in the middle.:eek:
Torchie.[;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 41
I'm filling holes in my sleep lately. I can feel for ya...
Burned up a Craftsman angle grinder today. Haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it. Might just need brushes...yeah right.

When I was Filling holes in the two firewalls I just did, made me feel like it might turn into my new profession :(
Lookin good Torchie [cl [P [P

looks good . how you liking the cooler weather?

Sure makes working more comfortable IB. But now everyone is bitching about the cold...[S
I need to make a small filler piece for the left hand lower side then I will cut off the bottom edge even all the way across..
Torchie.

With my welder temporarily out of commision....

Lets get back to stripping the Flathead.
Pics 1-4. Off with the Fan and the generator/Fan bracket. Blow by tube as well as the intake.
Oh look.:eek: Sometimes you feel like a nut...... Well I have found worse in engines before.

Pics 5 and 6. So now it's pucker time. Water pumps on Flattys have a "Hidden" bolt that you get to thru the radiator hose inlet. 9 times out of 10 this bolt is either frozen or just snaps off. Must have been the 10th time as they both came out.[cl[cl

Pic 7. One valve was sticking and now that the intake is off I can see that it appears to be bent as it won't seat properly even with help.

Hope to have the part to fix the welder tomorrow so that I can finish up the firewall and move forward.
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 24
Todays effort....

Laid down some ply on the dirt driveway so I could roll the cab at least most of the way out of the garage to do some blasting. Hung some tarps and such to help keep the sand on the outside.[S
Blasted the upper cowl and the surround for the windshield as well as the firewall. Just for giggles I also did a bit of the dash.
Still in wait mode for the part for my welder.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 22