1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. My name is Torchie and I used to have a build thread on here :)
laughing-smiley-face.gif

Dude I had to stop and laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks [cl

X2!

View attachment 118514

whats this Torchie ????

Buy this I am assuming you mean my 1950 GMC panel in the background YT
Used to be my everyday driver(as In 365). I sold it a couple of years ago. The build was started by my brother and then I more or less finished up a few details.
Torchie

Attachments

• attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 53
  • attachment-3.jpg
    attachment-3.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 53
  • attachment-4.jpg
    attachment-4.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 53
Back out in the shop this evening.

Made it back out to the shop this evening and went at getting the wheel cylinders off for a rebuild.
Every thing pretty crusty from being out in the weather but the good news is that I got the hose's off and the bleeder screws out with no issues. And there was still brake fluid in the cylinders.:D [cl
Shoes were seized up and wouldn't move to release the cylinders. Adjustment bolts are seized as well as were the pivot bolts at the bottom.
Managed to get the pivot bolts to move enough to get the shoes to move to get the cylinders out.
Soaking everything in penetrating oil to loosen things up.
Tomorrows plan is to rebuild the cylinders and work at getting everything loosened up.
Thanks for looking in on me.......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4
yes thats what I was looking at ,,, real nice [cl[cl

Yep it was.
Ran like a top and would go thru just about anything.We took the body off a 1999 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4 WD truck and dropped the 50 Panel body on it. Well. That's the short version YT.:D
350 Throttle body with a 700r4 trans. Dual heaters. Power steering and brakes. Full 3 point shoulder harness system. ect.
The guy that I sold it to totaled it a month later. He hit a power pole going about 60mph.:eek: After clipping a 3/4 ton Suburban. :eek::eek::eek:
He said the only thing that saved him was the shoulder restraint system.:D
Torchie

Torchies build, Torchies build,,,, ya know, I remember that one too. Welcome back to the shop world.
I've been going through some of the things that you have experienced lately so I now know where your days went.
Shop time is good for the soul, Torchie.

Torchies build, Torchies build,,,, ya know, I remember that one too. Welcome back to the shop world.
I've been going through some of the things that you have experienced lately so I now know where your days went.
Shop time is good for the soul, Torchie.

Hoping everything is all right with you Mac.
The shop is my "Happy" place. Always good for the soul.
Torchie

Words to live by ...

The shop is my "Happy" place. Always good for the soul.
Torchie

Boy, ain't THAT the truth! [cl :)

The other night it was raining a bit, but at 2am I went out and just sat there in the "shop" and took it all in, and dug it all. The Happy Place indeed !!!

Back to my "Happy" place.

While I was waiting for the morning coffee to brew I went back out to the shop to pick up where I left off last night.
These pre-war Ford Hydraulic brakes have 4 adjustment points on them and all 4 are seized which makes getting them apart an issue.
My goal is to get them aprt and salvage as many parts as possible.
Pic 1-2. Lower adjustment pivots. These have an ecentric that centers the brake shoes.
Pic 3-4. These are the upper adjustments that move the shoes in and out.
I soaked all of theses points last night. This morning I started by trying to move the shoes back and forth. Got that to happen so I knew there was hope.:D
Pic 5. Got the lower pins knocked out.[cl

Pics 6-7. Shoes. Pins and grease shield all removed from the backing plate.:D
Next step is to free up the upper adjustment points and then sand blast the backing plates.
That's it for now.
Thanks for visiting......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 9
I done just a little brake work on the 47 Ford sedan I had and they are different but relatively simple.
[P [P [P

They are simple OI. The difference between the 39-41pre-war and the 46-48 postwar is the the lower pins. On the postwar the lower pins were stationary and just used as pivot points. On the pre-war the lower pins are adjustable.
The interesting fact is that Ford did not want pay the licensing fees to use Bendix style brakes like the other Auto makers of the time were using so he came up with his own design....Sort of.;)
Torchie

Mac's has brake parts on sale right now. 15% off. Man that stuff is expensive! Hope you can fix all of your parts.

Went out and messed with the wheel cylinders.
They are shot.:(
Hard to tell from this pic but on the one facing up you can just see the forked inner piece that fits against the brake shoe. On one of them it is busted off and that is part of the push piston as well. No body that I have seen makes that part
Not to mention that they are both seized up tighter than a Frogs *** full of fly wings.:eek:
New cylinders are readily available but I would have liked to have been able to rebuild these. Oh well....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 9
That's why everybody wants Lincoln brakes, they're Bendix style. I guess Ford figured they would make a lot more Fords than Lincolns, so the license fee wouldn't be as much.

You could find a set of F1 or F100 brakes, which ever it is, supposed to be a bolt on IIRC and are Bendix style.

Mac's has brake parts on sale right now. 15% off. Man that stuff is expensive! Hope you can fix all of your parts.

That's part of the reason I am trying to reuse all that i can Skip. $$$ are real tight right now.(So what's new). I knew that the wheel cylinders would be a crap shoot. Just didn't expect to find one broken.
My real concern is getting the 2 upper adjustment bolts loose. If I can't then I need to find another set of backing plates.:eek:

That's why everybody wants Lincoln brakes, they're Bendix style. I guess Ford figured they would make a lot more Fords than Lincolns, so the license fee wouldn't be as much.

Even though it was owned by Ford at this point Lincoln still kind of did it's own thing Bama. The prewar Continentals are really a hand built car. Not so much after the war when they started to share more stuff with Ford.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back