1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. So here we go.....

I am always skeptical of "band aids in a can" type of things. If it looks to good to be true it usually is.
I have also seen posts where people use Molasses and or Vinegar to derust parts and they come out looking like new. Well I have used both and have only had so-so success.
So I went to the local hardware in search of Evapo-Rust which is also claimed to do wonderous things and talked to my go to guy and he recommened a product that they carry called Metal Rescue.
He has never steered me wrong so we will see.
Big thing is that it needs to be used at room Temp.67 degrees and since my shop is no where near that I had to improvise.
Yes it is in my bath tub.:eek: :eek: :D
Parts are submerged and covered. Will let it go for 24 hours and see what happens.
Thanks for stopping by....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 16
If that stuff doesn't do it, you can always try electrolysis cleaning. I was amazed when I did my trunk latch, it not only removed the rust, it also took off the old paint! I can give ya details if ya need them.....

Here are the results.

Pics 1-2. After 24 hours of soaking. Pretty dark.
Pic 3-4. Rinsed off and you can see the results. It is better put not like "Shiney" new.:)
These 2 pics also show the brake shoe adjusters that are seized up. The disc is on the inside and rotates against the shoe moving it in and out against the drum.
The nut head is on the back side of the backing plate so you can turn it to make adjustment with the drums on. This is not a threaded bolt but a shaft with a bolt head on it that turns in a complete circle.
These are not repro'd so if they don't work or break you are S*&%$## out of luck.
The reason the I spent the $$ on the rust remover was that I figured it being a watery consistency it was more likely to seep into the rusted areas around the discs.
Pic 5. Put the plates into the vise and with a wrench tried to turn the adjusters. 1 out of 4 turned. Well. That's 1 more than yesterday. So I decided to get out the "Thunder" gun.:eek:
Pic 6-8. The Thunder gun did it. All 4 adjusters now turn by hand with a wrench.[cl[cl Also got the bolts out of the brake shoe plates.
So I was able to salvage everything but the wheel cylinders which I have ordered and will be here next week.
I will clean up the backing plates better with my sand blaster as well.
Thanks for visiting ......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 23
Nothing like good, well made steel parts, though. You do that to any of these new vehicle parts that are rusted and there's nothing left when your when your done.

Congratulations on a job well done[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

It's nice when a plan works out bruno. Hope you are feeling better brother.

Nothing like good, well made steel parts, though. You do that to any of these new vehicle parts that are rusted and there's nothing left when your when your done.

That's one thing about old Ford Rouge River steel supersmitty. It's pretty thick.
Didn't want to have to replace these as the shipping alone would be $$$$.
Picking up some sand for the blaster tomorrow.
Torchie

found this for sale on line couple of days ago.

Is that a the back pannel of a truck grafted to the roof and nose of a car? Kind of the opposite of the way torchie is doing it.

Looks like it kenny. You can see the running board covers on the bottom of the door. That is a car feature that was never on the trucks. Plus that is a Mercury car that was used so the front clip is longer than the Ford.
Cool but the bed height looks to low to me.
As I have stated my inspiration comes from the Jack Rushton built 41 Ford custom truck. He cut a 2 door sedan off and welded on a cab back and added a pick up box. Kind of like the one that gold showed a pic of.
As always . More than one way to skin a cat.
How much were they asking for it gold? If you can, post a link to the ad as I would love to see it.
Below is a pic of Rushtons custom
Torchie

Attachments

• Jack-rushton-1941-ford.jpg
    Jack-rushton-1941-ford.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The Jack Rushton custom truck was built in 1957. The year that I was born.:eek:
I had seen pics of it over the years but never the whole article. I always assumed that he built it like I was doing. Using a truck cab and adding the car front clip.
Not until I saw a reprint of the article did I find out that it was a 2 dr sedan cut off with a pickup bed added.
A couple of the car giveaways are the running board covers on the bottom of the door as well as the rake of the windshield. Trucks of that era had a windshield that was more straight up and down compared to cars.
Torchie

Attachments

• Jack-Rushton-1941-Ford-1.jpg
    Jack-Rushton-1941-Ford-1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Jack-rushton-1941-ford.jpg
    Jack-rushton-1941-ford.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1941FordPickUp-vi.jpg
    1941FordPickUp-vi.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 16
  • attachment-2 20-42-05.jpg
    attachment-2 20-42-05.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 21
I have to admit that I like them both. A lot! Is one better? Nope, just different. :D

I agree with you skip. My version looks a little more truck like. At least in the mock up.;)
The original Rushton custom is still around. I sure would love to see a current pic of it.
Plus it is interesting to note that the title of the article is "Pre war custom" even though it was built in 57. They are basing that on the fact that it is a pre war production built car.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back