1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear wheels

I went to bolt on the rear wheels and found they don't clear the calipers even with a 1/4" spacer - not really a surprise.
firewall%202%20006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A friend had a couple of these - they don't have enough backset to fit in the wheel well.

firewall%202%20007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

firewall%202%20008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I guess the temporary fix is to remove the calipers and mount the orignal wheels

Paint looks good to me too.
If it's in the right place, some have gotten away with grinding offending material off the caliper to clear 14" wheels.

I ground down the calipers on the 3100. But these have too much interference. I wasn't planning using the wheels except to roll it around while I'm working on it. Putting the skinny tires on the aluminum wheels might work.

Speedway has a disclaimer that 15" wheels may not work with these calipers.

I hadn't thought about swapping calipers for Baer or Brembos or ? Might work. Don't think the check book has enough left to consider a swap.

Just lost the whole afternoon catching up on this. Guess it has been longer since I was over there than I thought.

Exceedingly exceptional, as always!

Here's a better pic of the firewall. It is actually glossier than it looks in the photo. I am having problems seeing the ranch wagon (or anything I build) being this glossy. I keep thinking an option is to color sand and omit the buff. Maybe paint the chrome gun metal gray.

paint%203%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Took the wheels to get the tires changed out and had to buy a used tire because they can't mount an out of date tire (one of mine was in date). Might be ready to put the body on the frame tomorrow.

Here's a better pic of the firewall. It is actually glossier than it looks in the photo. I am having problems seeing the ranch wagon (or anything I build) being this glossy. I keep thinking an option is to color sand and omit the buff. Maybe paint the chrome gun metal gray.

paint%203%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That color is going to look great on your wagon!
I'm having the same problem with the glossy paint idea on my truck.
Mainly cause I know I won't take the time to keep it all shined up. Probably won't even wash it very often.

I'm leaning towards a little on the semi gloss side.

Is that after color sand and buffing on the firewall? Or is that just after the clear coat?

I really like the color.

Re-chrome the chrome, polish the stainless and let er rip [dr
That thing will be a hit [cl
Man, that color is the bomb :cool:

paint%203%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That color is going to look great on your wagon!
I'm having the same problem with the glossy paint idea on my truck.
Mainly cause I know I won't take the time to keep it all shined up. Probably won't even wash it very often.

I'm leaning towards a little on the semi gloss side.

Is that after color sand and buffing on the firewall? Or is that just after the clear coat?

I really like the color.

I shot the 3100 with flat single stage. Problem with flat SS or flat clear is that you can't do any color sanding without changing the gloss - that means you can't fix any dust nibs or runs. What you spray is what you get.

With BC/CC the clear can get color sanded even up to 6000 and polished. With persistence a crappy paint job can turn into show quality, at least in theory. I am thinking I might take the clear to 3000 or 4000 and leave it.

I'm going to leave the firewall as is, just the outside of the body will get color sanded. Might be cool to have the outside flat and the firewall glossy.

Paint is looking good.
First words of wisdom from the guy that taught me how to paint was to never judge a paint job until it's all done.
You could always just add some flattener to your clear for the exterior color. But as you say then it will have to be what ever it looks like when you shoot it.
Carry on. You are doing great. [cl [cl [cl
Torchie

Body back on the frame

Progress. My '40 Ford neighbor, Gary, came by to lend a hand.

body%20on%20frame%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

body%20on%20frame%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There were a couple clearance issues. Gary was quick to provide a solution - I'd still be thinking about it.

I'm happy I didn't fill in the spare tire well.

body%20on%20frame%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There will be a little less room under the rear seat.

body%20on%20frame%20008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gary left and I spent a while lining up body mount holes and putzing with it.
The nice cloudy day started turning into a real storm (well, an Arizona storm - a little wind and 27 rain drops). With no one around, a little ingenuity was required to get it back in the shop.

body%20on%20frame%20009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm really excited to be able to move forward.

Thanks Earthman and Dave.

It's a little unnerving that it is almost the same color as my Copperhead Ram and very similar to the 3100. I'm starting to sense a trend.

Spent 3 hours stripping paint today - wow is that fun!

Spent another couple hours contemplating the new holes in the floor boards.

Your doing great work and it looks good in the out of doors [cl
I have the shop uphill from the driveway also, long chain and come-a-long worked for me.
Next [P[P

Your doing great work and it looks good in the out of doors [cl
I have the shop uphill from the driveway also, long chain and come-a-long worked for me.
Next [P[P

I always consider the come-a-long, but I don't have anything to anchor to. I'm thinking of putting an anchor in the floor so I can roll it out to work on it and back in to keep it out of the weather. Haven't come up with a quick and easy anchor that will not be in the way when I'm not using it.

Latest posts

Back