1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries. Sometimes you have to pay the bills. I just finished up 30 display stand bases and now go into a 12 day straight stretch at work due to shift change...All I want to do is either clean the yard or start a whole new project! Probably best that I'm going to be at work...Lol

Blacksmith project

Here's some pic of the competed paying project. It gets a transparent quartz stone behind the grille and led lights behind that.

IMG_1676.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1675.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1674%20-%20Copy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

tailgate

Bolted on the tailgate this am. I'm having issues getting it to slide in at the bottom. Still needs more adjustment. The large gap at the bottom is required so the bottom of the gate will clear the lip on the body.

IMG_1692.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These are the critters that limit how far it opens. I'm going to replace them with vinyl covered wire cable. They mount to the inside surface of the tailgate and actually stick up above the top of the lower gate. Ugly!

IMG_1693.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These are the upper tailgate hinges. They were cad or zinc plated - oxidized and rusty. I blasted them, but I never know how to finish things like this. Base/clear is too thick to allow them to work. I painted them with black Zero Rust - direct to metal- thinnest paint I could come up with.

IMG_1690.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your attention to detail is second to no one. And the results are impressive. It just takes a little longer.:)

Thanks.

This is for a high end house that had the quartz for a powder room vanity top. They light it from underneath and the whole room glows. They had to buy a slab of the rock and had some left. So - basically it's a wall hanging/night light.

Thank goodness for those who can afford high end homes, right?
I really like the color on the wagon can't wait to see it in all it's glory....
Did i mention I like this wagon:D:D

Thank goodness for those who can afford high end homes, right?
I really like the color on the wagon can't wait to see it in all it's glory....
Did i mention I like this wagon:D:D

Yes, without those who can afford the high end homes, I wouldn't be building cars. They have treated me very well for many years...

I'm stoked about seeing the paint finished. It just seems like there is always one more thing that keeps it from getting there. Right now I don't have the 5/16-24 x 1/2" long flat head screws to mount the upper tailgate hinges.

I can't seem to get the tailgate back in the position I had it in before I painted it and the doors are giving me fits. Don't want to mount the fenders until the doors are as good as they can be.

The list goes on.

Everything is looking great.[cl [cl
I will tell you what I told one of the guys that came to look at my custom when I had it for sale.
He was worried that if he took it apart to paint it that he would not be able to get the gaps back to where they were. I told him."If they fit before, you will be able to make them fit afterwards"
Keep at it. You are gaining on it.[P [P [P
Torchie

Everything is looking great.[cl [cl
I will tell you what I told one of the guys that came to look at my custom when I had it for sale.
He was worried that if he took it apart to paint it that he would not be able to get the gaps back to where they were. I told him."If they fit before, you will be able to make them fit afterwards"
Keep at it. You are gaining on it.[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks Torchie. I haven't given up, only slowed.

The tail gate hardware is way different than they do things now. Here's a pic I pulled off the net. When the gate is closed there's a lot of hardware that shows through the windows. Since it's surface mounted it all shows from the inside.

1955FordCountrySedan_04_1000.jpg

On Bobby Alloway's ranch wagon they are all chrome. Which means they had to take them all apart and chrome each piece.

I'd like to get them and the door strikes zinc or cad or ??? plated. My strike on the upper tail gate looks crustier than the one in the picture. Anyone know if there is any plating they can do without me having to disassemble them?

Are you still considering the nylon coated cable for the tailgate supports? I think they will blend much better and won't be so "Ugly" as you put it. I actually think the upper scissor hinge looks pretty cool.

Are you still considering the nylon coated cable for the tailgate supports? I think they will blend much better and won't be so "Ugly" as you put it. I actually think the upper scissor hinge looks pretty cool.

I made one and I am oscillating on whether I like it or not. Maybe the original Ford piece is so ugly it's cool. The '55 Chevy wagons had a retractable, hidden steel cable. Ford made their own steel and finished parts and didn't outsource much, they probably didn't make cable.

I am now thinking about copper plating or maybe nickel plating the hardware myself. Copper is easy and I have all the stuff and it might look like it belongs with the copper paint.

Everywhere I masked there is tape residue left behind. The tape on the tailgate was on for 4 days.

IMG_1702.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can really see it here.

IMG_1703.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For some reason my wax and grease remover does not remove it. Maroon Scotchbrite is what seems to work. The tape I'm using is expensive at $8 to $14 per roll depending on width.

IMG_1705.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I did get the driver's side door in it's final, acceptable location. I had to open up the hinge slots so the front of the door would drop 3/32". That made the gaps pretty even. The lower tailgate required some massaging on the screw holes as well, but it is acceptable, too. Of course, my acceptable standard is pretty low.

I'm no painter, but in my experience, the tape needs to be pulled as soon as the paint starts to harden. At most, 12 hours after you put in on. I've never used the green stuff, but the blue 3M stuff will almost become a permanent feature after a few days. Although, there are a few different kinds of blue 3M tape.

I just checked the website to see what you have there. That 233+ says application temperature is 60-90°, I doubt that matters much.

Also this:
"This painter's tape provides clean removal without slivering for up to two days of outdoor exposure, and longer for indoor exposure."
"Not designed for use on outdoor masking for more than 1 day"

Bummer!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...m-12-rolls-per-case?N=5928575+4294924377&rt=d

Latest posts

Back