1959 International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being the Pontiac Lover that I am.....

I need some opinions from you guys. I have a friend who bought a 350 Olds crate motor(Short Block) and he said I could have it for a couple hundred bucks. He really likes my truck and wants to see it on the road. The main objective for me is to take the 750 mile trip to the Woodward DreamCruise when the truck is roadworthy. That being said, would you yank the old Pontiac 400 and put in a new 350 Olds knowing what the goal is, or would you rebuild the Poncho?

Money wise.... you could probably do the Olds cheaper if you pay 200 for the short block... I'm sure you did check but for all the years I worked for GM I never heard of a 350 Olds Crate motor..... they did have 350 crate "corporate" motors which were 350 chev motors... unless they ordered the short block and it came in a "crate"... but I'm sure you have checked that.... Just curious... still have to get the heads, intake, brackets and all the other stuff to swap it out to the olds....cause nothing will fit from the pontiac..... Maybe you have resources for all that stuff.. too bad though..... love those poncho motors...

Here are some pictures of the motor I was speaking of in my earlier post. After further review it is not a short block as I stated so the answer might tilt more towards the Olds motor instead of the Poncho.
3fd476e2.jpg

cc7b0792.jpg

6c1178d2.jpg

d6acecd6.jpg

0ffe47b7.jpg

Your work is great....love the bullets....

I thought you pulled it from some caddie...... the motor is an olds motor but looks good... I'd snag it too.... great build......keep up the good work.... [cl

350 Olds is what I'll be running in my 57 Fairlane, real torque monsters. Mine was built as a figure 8 race car engine. I can't wait to see how it pushes my old ford. BTW that dash is killer!!!

After a while of too much work and not enough play. I'm finally going to be able to finish the truck. I sold the Olds motor, bought a 350 Chevy and Transmission. Last weekend I pulled the motor out and removed the Fenders and inner fender wells along with the grill to make that easier to remove and replace. Here are some pictures.
5264593A-2450-4AAB-A375-AD3F3016C06A-2541-000001BEC024296A.jpg

1EB7AACC-8E83-4E23-A7E1-534525655B48-2541-000001BEC8709FCB.jpg

I was messing around one night and came up with this idea for the doors. I'm originally from the Detroit area and only follow the Tigers as far as sports go. This was done with marker just to see what it would look like. What do you think?
6DD3D72E-6140-4931-B571-D2BD17490821-2541-000001BECF1F8379.jpg

I also bought a Trans-Am steering column with tilt and keys. A new wiring harness is also on the way to get rid of the mess under the hood and in the cab.

Nothing wrong with the Michigan and Trumbull idea...

The Tigers did fairly well this year...lol... looks like it's moving along nicely....[P

It's good to see you making progress, I'd been wondering what you had been up to with the IH. The door art is cool.........maybe make the Michigan & Trumbull a little bigger. JMO
Looking good. [P[P[P

It's good to see you making progress, I'd been wondering what you had been up to with the IH. The door art is cool.........maybe make the Michigan & Trumbull a little bigger. JMO
Looking good. [P[P[P

That's exactly what I was thinking after I was done with the sharpie and a few Jack-n-Cokes:D

My wiring harness will be here next week and I have a question. Should I rip everything out before it gets here? I have never done a total re-wire before. The kit I bought is from Speedway.

Latest posts

Back