1980 LUV ( project Kreeper)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PORTnPOLISH

Okay well I better start a project thread before I get to far into it.

I found this little gem next to a barn in IL after being driven up from arkanas last year. I figured I will never ever find a LUV in this shape around here again so I should scoop here up while I could. The best part about it is it will function 100% as I need it to as a daily driver. It got about 25mpg on this last tank,its a long bed that I can hual my chopper and my dirtbike anywhere and be able to close the tailgate, ITS COOL AS HELL! I have only owned it a week and I have been stopped at the gas station twice and given a thumbs up 3 times.

So the first order is to clean it up and get the old nasty smell out and slam her low. I did most of this yesterday. PICS\/

Step 1 was to remove the smelly carpet and dash board cover, I dont have a pic of the dash removed though, it was getting dark and wifey was ringing the dinner bell
2011-04-02_11-01-18_996.jpg

2011-04-02_11-01-36_573.jpg

Step2 Lower the beatch! I added 3" blocks and pulled one leaf, then I cut the bump stops in half, The front I also cut the bump stops and loosened the torsion bars. It actually didn't ride bad until one of the front bumpstops fell off and now when it bottoms out you damn near black out. Im going to try to find a resource for squishy bump stops.
2011-04-02_15-43-07_730.jpg

2011-04-02_15-55-52_252.jpg

Before:
2011-03-30_18-55-57_743.jpg

After:
2011-04-02_15-55-52_252.jpg

My big issue right now is having to paint the patina before winter. I really love the patina on her But here in IL this thing will be gone after one winter. I plan to leave it how it is minus some hammer and dolly work on some dents and possibly sanding down and preventing some rot. I am looking for cool 14" hubcaps and cool bumpers. I was going to put some 68 camaro bumpers on here but I decided that I want some thicker bumpers to help with the low look. I guess I will have to search the boneyard.
As far as wheels and tires go, I dont want bigger rims, it seems like a lot of people like to go the 16" gm steelies but then I wont be able to find any nice hubcaps, plus the 14" rims look fine to fine. I am going to try to stay away from baby moons since its pretty populer. I am thinking of finding some spinner hubcaps or find the matching 3 hubcaps to the one corvette hubcap I have. I am going to flip the pinner side out on the current tires and maybe sand them to wide whites.
The interior I have a cool idea, I have a spare back seat from one of my old sports cars that sits low to the floor. I am going to put those in and I cut a peice of mdf that I am going to cover in foam. Then match them in fabric. That way I will sit real low in the cab since I am only 5'7". I also have a valve cover from what I think is a big block chevy. Its real worn looking and has CHEVROLET stamped in it with the oil fill hole. That it going to be fitted along the transmission tunnel. So the floor shifter will come out from it and it will span back in between the driver and passenger and be used for cup holders.

I need ideas for what to use to cover the floor and dash though. I am pondering to leave the dash bare and just clean the glue off but im open to cool ideas.

Well small update , I wanted to get some whitewalls on the cheap so I decided that to try to paint them since I enjoy the imperfect look anyways. I went out on a whim and tried some vinyl interior paint because I figured it would flex a lot better. While I was at it I.picked up some gloss black enamel.and hit the steelies.
I didthe fronts and drove about 530 miles to st.Louis and back and they held up on the bumpy highway great. I did the back 2 thismorning. Ill.get.some pics in a bit.
I also.picked up.a set of old casted chain cutters with some logo casted into the handle. Its.going to be my shifter handle. Im also thinking of making and installing fender skirts on the truck. You don't see many trucks.with them and certainly not a chevy luv longbed.

Those can be really quick with a nice small block. I've always liked that body style too, keep us posted!

Toad

Looks cool. Oh yeah, do you happen to know Jimmy O. or John Dornick? I used to live in Oglesby is the reason I ask. How about John Urbino too?

Nah I wish I did though. Im a young gun so I don't many oldschoolers. I bet I've seen em down at the root beer stands though.

Cool truck, I have the same one, 1980 longbox white. Lowered her, thin whites, painted the wheels red with chrome lug nuts. Plan to drop a small block in her someday, maybe bag her to.

Funny thing is i almost get more good comments about the Luv as i do about my 54 buick.

here's a cool forum for Luv owners i check out sometimes.

http://forums.luvtruck.com/index.php

That was a long test run! Looks great, the white walls really make a big difference.
YOUR TELLIN ME!

Cool truck, I have the same one, 1980 longbox white. Lowered her, thin whites, painted the wheels red with chrome lug nuts. Plan to drop a small block in her someday, maybe bag her to.

Funny thing is i almost get more good comments about the Luv as i do about my 54 buick.

here's a cool forum for Luv owners i check out sometimes.

http://forums.luvtruck.com/index.php
Yeah i have a thread going on that forum as well, Post up some pics some time I would like to see it.

I made a trp to a special bone yard with lots of old stuff and i rummaged through until i found a front and rear bumper that I liked. I bought both of them with the lights and mounting brackets and good chrome for 100 bucks....damn good deal.
I wasnt real sure what I got but after lots of staring and googling i found that my rear bumper is from a 71-72 impala, and the front is from a 66 lincoln continental......now that I have seen what a old lincoln continental looks like i am drooling over the older ones, 65 being my favorite.

Well I have got plenty of parts to keep me busy now! I just went and snagged up a CCC olds 307 and 200r4 for 75 BUCKS!!!!! The guy didnt know sqaut and thought it was a 350. After plenty of lying about how much of a boat anchor the engine was he let it slip for cheap!
I know that the 307 isnt a big power engine but Im not really after tons of power considering it going in the luv Im looking to have something that will stay decent on gas and have enough power to be drivable and fun. The nice thing about the 307 is that it was made to be in front of some high geared rear ends. I will be able to run a higher geared rear end for decen MPG and have fun when I want to. I am still unsure if I want to attempt to keep the CCC or ditch it for a HEI and mechanical carb for simplicity.

Lots of tourqe in that little olds so it should tote the lil luv like a champ.

Little update- the luv was sure fun but a open wheeled rat would be funner :)
So I decided the luv would make a nice frame donor to a 307 Oldsmobile powered 42 Ford. I bought a pretty solid 42 Ford cab and plan on getting it going over the winter. I don't have a defined plan now but I think I might section out the middle of the luv bed as the bed for the Ford so the tires sit on the out side. I also seen a cool grill in the bone yard....maybe run a hood on it or something. Not sure if I want to attempt to construct a torsion bar sprung solid axle or stick with ifs since the luv has a clean ER looking ifs than a s10 and the front sits closer to the wheels. I figure I can move everything backwards and make the ifs look decent and have a car that can go on major long trips.

PNP.....keep us posted.....

I thought I was bad with not keep people updated....LOL... cool ideas....wanna see how this works out...[;)[P

Yeah its been a while lol...Ive been real busy making stuff at work for side money. I've been building panel clamps for sheet metal welding. And some motorcycle parts...etc...

Latest posts

Back