27 chevy p/u

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why you so poor? You seem pretty handy and motivated. I had not seen this build before today and my hat is off to you.

Excellent work and dedication. Every project is always limited by the almighty dollar at least you have not given up like many people.

My uncle has been building a 72 Chev blazer for about 25 years now. It went from running stock to taken apart and placed in boxes about 23 years ago. It is still in boxes and he won't let anybody do anything with it cause one day he will have the money to finish it.

I am waiting for more, this is just awesome, the story here is unbelievable!!!!
[P

Keep pluggin' Billy!

The s#itbox in my avitar should FINALLY be getting it's cab gutted and rolled back so I can replace the rotten body mounts this summer... Though my wife plays baseball, my little girls are old enough to play in the backyard while Daddy works in the garage. It's only been sitting in there half-ripped apart for the past FIVE YEARS!:(

Feelin' your pain. Sometimes, money, time and motivation are impossible to get into the same room at the same time!;)

Looking forward to sharing your progress as it comes!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

i am having a hard time finding 2.73 gears for the 9" rear end.
i thought nobody wanted these things.
did everybody throw them away?
[S

I assume you already have the housing?

i am having a hard time finding 2.73 gears for the 9" rear end.
i thought nobody wanted these things.
did everybody throw them away?
[S

Just a thought...the 8.8 is abundant and uses 2.73 and 3.08.. lincoln and grand marquis.... even the cop cars use the 8.8 with 323 and 355 ratios.... tons of them around.... and for cheap... 150 bucks around here for the whole thing cause everyone wants those 9 inchers....they hold up well enough to be used in the newer GT500's.. and the cop cars.... just a thought.... otherwise you'd have to go scrounging thru the bone yards....

Just a thought...the 8.8 is abundant and uses 2.73 and 3.08.. lincoln and grand marquis.... even the cop cars use the 8.8 with 323 and 355 ratios.... tons of them around.... and for cheap... 150 bucks around here for the whole thing cause everyone wants those 9 inchers....they hold up well enough to be used in the newer GT500's.. and the cop cars.... just a thought.... otherwise you'd have to go scrounging thru the bone yards....

there are no bone yards here.
i got real tired real fast of going 200 miles to a yard just to get skunked.
i will find some 2.73's somewhere online.

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

woot!
i got seats from a subaru brat and they fit perfectly $5
two 10.5 x31 tires $10
i love yard sales!

i found some 2.75 gears for $40 online.
i will ask my builder guru if they will work.

today i ordered
spoon gas pedal
turn signal switch
tailgate hinges
steering wheel quick release
radiator
drums and everything for front brakes
battery
starter
3.00 gear for rear end
seats
seat belts
horn
turned the rear drums

tomorrow is the swap meet
i am in search of wheels and front tires
turn signals/ brakelights
headlights
wiring stuff to make a harness
glass
rear 7/8" wheel cylinders/shoes/springs etc.

i had to get a 32 lowboy radiator because of the size of my rad frame.
it needed to be at most 18 "wide
and no more than 24" tall

the brown truck of happiness is going to be makin a few stops at the shop.
it is such a relief to get this ball rollin again.

Nice build. I like how you mafe a great friend in the process. I can relate to the bad back, I have been through a ton with mine. Keep us posted , I can't wait for a pic of you driving it.

Really neat, I don`t think I`d ever seen a 20`s Chevy built before. I knew they existed, but didn`t know the wood was the reason people wouldn`t touch them with a 10' stick. Keep goin` and you`ll drive it soon(by the sounds of it).

Keep it up,
Johnson

Really neat, I don`t think I`d ever seen a 20`s Chevy built before. I knew they existed, but didn`t know the wood was the reason people wouldn`t touch them with a 10' stick. Keep goin` and you`ll drive it soon(by the sounds of it).

Keep it up,
Johnson
i tried googling 1920's chevy hot/rat rods.
there arent any!
now admittedly all that wood is a huge PITA but it hardly seems possible that i am the only guy in the world stupid enough to do this.

;)

I had rather take on the wood than metal.Coming from boatbuilding and repair family our wood and fiberglass skills are top notch.
Still having a time trying to work sheet metal.New at it and not enough tools to work it properly.
Heavy guage metal like building a chassis is easy.I can cut and weld with ease.But sheet metal makes me want to pull the little hair I have still got out.
I will learn it though.I am either to dum,or stubborn,to quit and let someone else do it.[S
Nice vehicle you have there.

You have cool and unique ride forming there, keep at it. I understand about the money stuff the economy has hit a lot of people hard, whole reason I don't have a build, but seems like your trucking right along despite the limited finances. Enjoy the time with your friend, and you guys will be cruising down the road in no time.

Mac.

thanks fellas
it aint exactly fun ( i am not a mechanic!)
but this will be the coolest car i have ever owned! [cl[cl

update

i am finally going to hear this engine run .
i need to go get the tranny fluid today.
new parts are getting delivered daily.
man o man are we getting close!
at this point we are down to wiring it and plumbing the brakes.

i will not be able to give rides to big people.
i am 5.9 140 lbs.
and i am crammed in that car.
i am convinced humans were a lot smaller 84 years ago.

Latest posts

Back