27 chevy p/u

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we are gonna fabricate one.
now if i could only find a front end.
it aint easy doing this with a $10 an hour take home pay job!

it is coming along.
everyday after work something gets done to it.
we will put 2"square tubing all around the windshield frame.
there is now 3/4" tubing under the lip the dash slides into and a section of plate along the bottom edge.
once this is all tied together.
then we go to the doors
the rear panels
then the back.
it's obvious why nobody does these ancient chevy's.
all that wood is a pain in the neck
zsmithwesson27-2070.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2072-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2073.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2075-1.jpg

looking good....
and i know that you know this, but i'm gonna say it anyway....
soak up every last ounce of knowledge this gentleman offers you, be patient, listen to every story, thought, or whatever he tells, b/c it is more than metal that's being put in your old chevy--its part of his life or "soul"

what you gain from this is more than a car its knowledge and memories:cool:

This project is lookin real nice. You're right, not many old chevys are used cuz of the wood but your rod will be that much kooler cuz it's different..
By the way...maybe if you keep your language nice an clean it'll rub off on that ol' guy.[cl....strange thing I notice is when people find out I'm a Jesus freak they clean up the language.:)

This project is lookin real nice. You're right, not many old chevys are used cuz of the wood but your rod will be that much kooler cuz it's different..
By the way...maybe if you keep your language nice an clean it'll rub off on that ol' guy.[cl....strange thing I notice is when people find out I'm a Jesus freak they clean up the language.:)

he is a devout Buddhist and talks like i do.[S

everyday after work i got to the shop and there is my buddy doing fabrication on the body.
we have cut a section out of the bottom of everything that was eaten up by rust and replaced with new.
strengthened the dash by putting plate steel along the bottom edge.
lowered the windshield pillars 6"
chopped the doors 6"
we are installing 2" square tubing throughout to reinforce the windshield/body etc.
there are BIG dents in the back section of the cab so we may have to fabricate a new one.

Billy, I've used F100 axles. I narrow them to 46" kingpin centerline (about 5" removed). Then cut the spring perches off and make new ones on the bottom of the axle to get the front end lower.

I like Chevy van axles from the 1960's. They have finned iron brake drums that look decent on a fenderless rod. I narrow them too.

Latest posts

Back