27 chevy p/u

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy,

Give JP a big "THANKS" and a handshake for me for the info. The .035" that's in my bud's machine is too thick for sheetmetal, at least S-Truck sheetmetal! Guess I'll get me some .030" asap.:D

Truck's lookin' great, BTW. Looks even better now with the shorty box behind the cab. The proportions with the chop are bang on.[dr

Regards,
Shea:)

update
another fellow rodster set me up with a 30 chevy grill frame
and i got the rear end at the shop too!

Just read this build thread, damn good read!! Both of you guys seem lucky to have stumbled across each other, one wants to build and the other needs one to drive, cool. Many times I wish I had some one to help me on some of my projects or to help them build one as well, you guys are lucky.

The heated shop is also a must in most parts of the country. I just this past week had heat installed in my shop. Today it was a high of around 40 here but nice and cozy shirt sleves in the shop.

Keep up the work maybe the building will become better for you after you have this one setting in the drive way ready to roll.....

RS

zsmithwesson27-2163-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2166-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2167.jpg

Man it looks so cold there , you wouldn't be able to pry me away from the fire . My fingers won't work when it snows !

i feel kinda sick when it is hot and humid.
i wouldnt spend 5 minutes where you are in the summer.
so we are even.
;)

well
lets see...
we decided to go with the suicide front end.
so we recieved the spring /shackles etc. yesterday
and today i am going to go pick up the steel for the frame.
i just need to figure out what i am gonna use to haul it.
it wont fit in the toyota !
oh yeah
i need to find another cheap rear end .
the one pictured is for a car and my front is from a truck.....

well i got some more stuff .
man there is a LOT i need to learn!
you see fellas
i am not a mechanic.
and i dont know crap about cars.
so this is a big deal to me.

zsmithwesson27-2177-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2178.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2179.jpg

i am not a mechanic.

Your skills are far beyond using that excuse !! don't want to hear that anymore--- good job on your build [cl

i am not a mechanic.

Your skills are far beyond using that excuse !! don't want to hear that anymore--- good job on your build [cl

ok
from now on i'll pretend i know what i am doin...

pretty soon the fun will start.
by that i mean actually putting things together.
when i can glance at it and say
ooh! a car!
instead of
uhg a pile o junk...[P

Personally Im digging it. My "mentor" is my best friends father and he isnt into rods. He like to build 74 chevy trucks. Hes had like 4 in the 23 years ive known him and they are all the same year, same color, same motor, and same tranny. Im lucky I learned anything..lol. My point is that you should learn as much as you can, abd cherrish having someone to help you.

Personally Im digging it. My "mentor" is my best friends father and he isnt into rods. He like to build 74 chevy trucks. Hes had like 4 in the 23 years ive known him and they are all the same year, same color, same motor, and same tranny. Im lucky I learned anything..lol. My point is that you should learn as much as you can, abd cherrish having someone to help you.

this guy is my buddy
not a hired gun.
the fact that he has 45 years experience building cars is a huge plus!;)

this guy is my buddy
not a hired gun.
the fact that he has 45 years experience building cars is a huge plus!;)

It's certainly good to have car building friends! You can't have too many. My 31 year old son said to me the other day, "I wish I had paid more attention to you out in the garage because I don't know anything about cars!" Now he wants to build a Jeep and isn't sure if he should attempt it. Just remember, there's plenty of help right here![cl

It's certainly good to have car building friends! You can't have too many. My 31 year old son said to me the other day, "I wish I had paid more attention to you out in the garage because I don't know anything about cars!" Now he wants to build a Jeep and isn't sure if he should attempt it. Just remember, there's plenty of help right here![cl

tell him to go ahead and do it.
i did.
Jeep006.jpg

Jeep001.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2213.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2208.jpg

i did the following in my gravel driveway by myself with no previous experience.

complete rewire
replace 9" brakes
fabricate seat brackets/front bumper
adjust valves/timing /dwell etc.
clean/patch gas tank
replace fender
change all fluids differentials/tranny/ etc.
carb rebuild
fuel pump rebuild (failed bought replacement)
replace warn locking hubs with selectros
repack wheel bearings replace seals
replace rear inner seals
replace seats with originals
install choke cable
replace u-joint
replace steering wheel
wire wheel interior
degrease interior
treat interior for rust.
paint gas tank
turn signal switch(failed bought replacement)

install side spare carrier

wiper motors/arms
dash handle
rebuild steering box
replace/repair
tie rods
bell crank
sector shaft
drag link
broken lug stud
paint/install glass in 1/2 cab
replace tube for oil pressure gauge
patch holes in dash/ windshield/floorboards
treat rust on body
paint

P.S.
i didnt know what anything was called or what it did
and i didnt have any tools so i bought em as i needed em..
if an idiot like me can do it.
your son will be a shoo-in!;)

Latest posts

Back