29,30,31, Model A Coupe, Roadster, Super Patina, Rat Rod Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll probably have to buy a kit and cut up the pactory headers. Gt40 heads take different header flanges then a regular 302. Is that an explorer engine?

You'll probably have to buy a kit and cut up the pactory headers. Gt40 heads take different header flanges then a regular 302. Is that an explorer engine?

I called JEGS and they told me that the flanges are the same on all 302 motors[S Now I'm confused, I also called the company I planned on buying my lake pipes from and they said they didn't know if there was a difference or not. They said that they have never had anyone ask if their headers will fit F40 heads or not.

Anyone else have any info on this subject???

The header flange's are the same. On the p heads the spark plug is at a different angle, so it hits the tube on reg headers. They make headers just for the p heads. tobby

WOOOHOOO.... I got my CLEAR title back from the state today. I also bought a pretty clean lookin' used Holley 600 Double Pumper Carb today for $80.00 on Fleabay. I'm planning to give it a quick cleaning and a fresh rebuild and I should be good to go. [cl

Next on the list is to find a transmission. Hmmmm.... decisions decisions... 4 spd. 5 spd. Auto...[S

I pulled all the fuel injection crap off the motor yesterday. The first bolt on both sides of the intake snapped off in the heads on BOTH sides of the motor. Now I gotta try to drill em out and retap the holes. My plan is to use the lower intake from the F.I. setup as a drill guide, so I get them drilled straight. :mad:

I've been slackin' on the photos, so I thought I'd shoot a couple and post em' up.

Here's the Cobra 302 without the intake on it anymore.

here's the two bolt holes I had to drill out and tap. This was a pain in the azz, but I think it'll be fine. I drilled the holes off a little bit, but they're pretty close. I think the intake should line up fine. I'll know as soon as it shows up in the mail.

I got some goodies in the mail today [dr

I'll upload a couple more pics when I can. Photobucket is really acting stupid today. Someone needs to fix it.[;)

Got my carb. Still smells like fresh gas, not like sour varnish. everything moves free and seems to be in good order. I'm probably gonna try just slapping it on there first and see how it does, if it don't run right I'll pull it back off and rebuild it. Heck, I only paid $79 for it shipped. Not bad for a decent condition Holley 600 double pump carb.

Love it or hate it... This is my plan for an air filter housing/air scoop to top off the motor when I'm done installing the motor. I always wanted to try doing this, so I figured this was the perfect car for it.

And a lil' fresh paint to make it "match" the intake.[S

once the paint dries, I'll reinstall the flag for laughs.

I did a little work on my grill shell today, modified the emblem hole to fit my "DURANT" emblem.[cl

I had to see how it looks sitting on the frame, so here's a shot of that too.

Got some work done on the Rat Rod last nite and today[cl

last night I finished bolting in the lower panel I made for the back of the car, under the trunk panel area.

Then today I worked on making the trunk panel.

1st I cut out an oversized section of sheet metal from my old race car roof section.

Next I bent the top lip of the panel by hand with a adjustable wrench and a hammer. Then I bent some curve into the sheet metal.

Made my first cuts in the side of the panel and bent it into shape to fit into the trunk area.

Lots and lots of pie cuts, so I could bend the back half of the panel to fit the car body...

final trial fit, before breaking out the welder [;)

Lots of little welds, they're not pretty, but they're functional. :D

Here's where I stopped today, 6 1/2 hours in 90 degree heat with a hammer, a welder, and a grinder was long enough.

It's not perfect, but neither is the rest of this car. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm going to strip the rest of this paint off as soon as I get a chance, but I think I'm going to use paint stripper. To get that little bit of paint off took me almost two hours with a wire wheel.

More to come...[P

I got little more work done on the trunk lid last night and today...

I used some aircraft paint stripper and got all SIX coats of old paint off if it.[cl

Then I mixed up some magic "PATINA POTION" and gave it a quick misting and let Mother Nature start to "paint" it.

Here's a couple pics after about 20 hours...

Not bad for such a short amount of time[dr

It's funny, I've spent my whole life building cars and fixing rust on them, then I buy this thing and... something seems sooooo wrong, but it FEELS SOOOOOOO RIGHT!!!

The plan is to just let Mother Nature have her way with it for a week or two and then wipe it down and spray it down with some clear coat.

Last edited:
a buddy and I , bought a pair of 27 t-bucket kits from speedway years ago .. the frames were naked with a coat of oil on them .. he told me to get vinegar and wipe it down . that will clean the metal so paint will stick to it ..:confused: I did that one night , the next morning they were rusted ,,,, I didnt know he meant doing that before I got ready to paint [S I was new to the paint deal and young also .. But I did learn what vinegar will do to naked metal ..

Latest posts

Back