29 Model A Sedan...The New Ride

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the compliments guys....it would of been nice to win Best of Show but up here if it hasn't got paint it doesn't seem to happen....it gets more looks than anything else but just not the votes....doesn't matter anyway...this rat rod will be at more runs and shows than any trailer queen and will always draw a crowd...to me that's worth more than any trophy knowing that the people like what I build....now I just have to put the finishing touches on it and tune it up...I'll keep you posted on progress..Thanks Again...This forum keeps me motivated to get things done.

Thanks for the compliments guys....it would of been nice to win Best of Show but up here if it hasn't got paint it doesn't seem to happen....it gets more looks than anything else but just not the votes....doesn't matter anyway...this rat rod will be at more runs and shows than any trailer queen and will always draw a crowd...to me that's worth more than any trophy knowing that the people like what I build....now I just have to put the finishing touches on it and tune it up...I'll keep you posted on progress..Thanks Again...This forum keeps me motivated to get things done.

Yep, nothing without shiny paint ever seems to win best of show in Western Canada.

The car looks great! I hope I run across you with it this summer! Your A pickup was awesome too, did you sell it?

Hi Rat Fink. I was having dinner in Grande Prairie, Alberta, today with a friend and he said I have something to show you. He whips out his smart phone and scrolls through until he comes to a yellow '34 Plymouth five window coupe, just like the one I'm building. Then he scrolls some more and shows me his next favorite. I was half way through saying that it looked like one I've seen, when I exclaimed, "Were you in Saskatoon?" He nodded. There were a bunch of pictures of your car, no question. I saw them with my own eyes.
Congratulations from your first show.

Yep, nothing without shiny paint ever seems to win best of show in Western Canada.

The car looks great! I hope I run across you with it this summer! Your A pickup was awesome too, did you sell it?

I sold the 32 pickup last spring so I was gathering parts all summer...didn't like not having a rod for the summer...but cash is good!!....I should be at the Lloydminster show in June....maybe I will see you there

turned out fantastic.. really like how the dash came out..! You have now built two amazing rods ... and I still haven't finished mine.. i need to get my a** in gear

turned out fantastic.. really like how the dash came out..! You have now built two amazing rods ... and I still haven't finished mine.. i need to get my a** in gear

Dedication...determination...and a very understanding wife....winters are long and I need something to pass the time...in the summer it's nothing but rod run's and bike tours...wife loves touring on the bike so we spend lots of time cruizin on the Harley...plus she makes sure she gets her cut when it gets time to sell one...lol

Fixing Issues

Well once the show was over I put it back in the garage to start fixing things that were either giving problems or not done properly....first issue...overheating....stuck thermostat...should be an easy fix...NOT....the housing was bolted to the intake with nuts under neigh...the old creitz intake is not really thick and the holes were stripped out and there is not a lot of meat on the bones so the builder put nuts on the underside to keep everything tight...okay if everything works but the thermostat stuck so off comes the intake...big job for a small problem....anyway fixed that issue...next a carb was giving issues...the needle and seat are not matched and the needle was sticking causing it to pour fuel into it....also the throttle shaft was worn and was causing the accelerator pump to hang up and not let the throttle plates to close sending more fuel down the pipe and not letting me control idle and excess fueling.....took the carb off and sent it back to the builder for repair...hopefully when I get it back this part should be fixed....I have some brake issues as well....I never had time to go through the rearend before the show so I skipped this part...but no I have to address it...I think the rear brake cylinders are seized...they bled but I still have very little rear brake..I will take it apart shortly and check it out....more fun???

Attachments

• 714.JPG
    714.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 715.JPG
    715.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 716.JPG
    716.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 717.JPG
    717.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 713.JPG
    713.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 35
Well once the show was over I put it back in the garage to start fixing things that were either giving problems or not done properly....first issue...overheating....stuck thermostat...should be an easy fix...NOT....the housing was bolted to the intake with nuts under neigh...the old creitz intake is not really thick and the holes were stripped out and there is not a lot of meat on the bones so the builder put nuts on the underside to keep everything tight...okay if everything works but the thermostat stuck so off comes the intake...big job for a small problem....anyway fixed that issue...next a carb was giving issues...the needle and seat are not matched and the needle was sticking causing it to pour fuel into it....also the throttle shaft was worn and was causing the accelerator pump to hang up and not let the throttle plates to close sending more fuel down the pipe and not letting me control idle and excess fueling.....took the carb off and sent it back to the builder for repair...hopefully when I get it back this part should be fixed....I have some brake issues as well....I never had time to go through the rearend before the show so I skipped this part...but no I have to address it...I think the rear brake cylinders are seized...they bled but I still have very little rear brake..I will take it apart shortly and check it out....more fun???

You're making quick progress on those issues! Nice work!

Brake problems!!!!

WEll first I got the carb back and installed and it works great...motor sounds healthy and carbs seem to be working fine.....now brake issues....I have disc up front, drum in rear with master cylinder under neigh, residual valves and a adjustable proportioning valve....no air in system and with the proportioning valve backed right up I don't seem to have much rear brake....I bled the rear brakes again and didn't get any air just fluid but didn't get much of that either....was wondering if the proportioning valve was any good[S...looking for answers....Thanks

I cant give you a definite answer but the first thing i would do is remove the proportioning valve from the loop and see what happens. Do the front brakes work well? I know you said you had residual valves, do you have a 2 psi for the front brakes and a 10 psi for the drums?

I'm just throwin' some things out there maybe they'll help you discover the issue. Good Luck.

-Chris

Hey RAT FINK, I was cruising Facebook and saw these from a show in Lloydminster over the weekend:

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's looking awesome! I guess you got the bugs sorted out!

Attachments

• Rat Fink Tudor 1.jpg
    Rat Fink Tudor 1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Rat Fink Tudor 2.jpg
    Rat Fink Tudor 2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 133

WEll first I got the carb back and installed and it works great...motor sounds healthy and carbs seem to be working fine.....now brake issues....I have disc up front, drum in rear with master cylinder under neigh, residual valves and a adjustable proportioning valve....no air in system and with the proportioning valve backed right up I don't seem to have much rear brake....I bled the rear brakes again and didn't get any air just fluid but didn't get much of that either....was wondering if the proportioning valve was any good[S...looking for answers....Thanks

fantastic!
one question though.
what does the word neigh mean?[S
i know that is what horses say but...

Made Me Look

So that is a fine looking car. One question, is that flathead sbc a kit or did you come up with it, like the hemi sbc. Now I'm not sure which way to go[S

Hey RAT FINK, I was cruising Facebook and saw these from a show in Lloydminster over the weekend:

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's looking awesome! I guess you got the bugs sorted out!

Yaa I got most of the kinks out....The proportioning valve was junk so I deleted it all together and it seems to be working fine without one...I still have more interior work to do but my ambition level went down hill fast...to busy with life in general but we did take some time out and went to the Just Kruzins car show in Lloydminster and took top awards winning Participants Choice and Peoples Choice as well...It felt good knowing that the long winters work was appreciated by most....Plus to take top awards with a Rat Rod is just Icing on the cake...

Attachments

• lloyd car show.jpg
    lloyd car show.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 29
  • lloyd car show 1.jpg
    lloyd car show 1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 27
  • lloyd car show2.jpg
    lloyd car show2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 29
  • lloyd car show3.jpg
    lloyd car show3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 28
  • lloyd carshow4.jpg
    lloyd carshow4.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
Yaa I got most of the kinks out....The proportioning valve was junk so I deleted it all together and it seems to be working fine without one...I still have more interior work to do but my ambition level went down hill fast...to busy with life in general but we did take some time out and went to the Just Kruzins car show in Lloydminster and took top awards winning Participants Choice and Peoples Choice as well...It felt good knowing that the long winters work was appreciated by most....Plus to take top awards with a Rat Rod is just Icing on the cake...

Looks Awesome! I'm glad to hear you got most of the kinks worked out.

More Interior work.

Weather around here has been kinda crappy...lots of rain and wind so it's a good time to do some more interior work....I ran the door panels through the bead roller and put more rivets in them to match the seats...then I started making the panels for the rear section....lots of work...measuring and making templates...I only have enough aluminum to do it once so no screw ups I hope

Attachments

• 723.JPG
    723.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 724.JPG
    724.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 23
  • 722.JPG
    722.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 720.JPG
    720.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 719.JPG
    719.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 718.JPG
    718.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 721.JPG
    721.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 23
Finishing off the interior!!!

Had some time in the last little while so I finished off the rest of the interior...Lots of drilling and rivets, dimple die holes and bead rolling...put in close to 1000 rivets in the interior and not sure how many holes....painted everything, put it all together and distressed it all with thinner...turned out pretty good...just have to put in the top blind to help keep the sun out...it's pretty warm in there otherwise...

Attachments

• 731.JPG
    731.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 735.JPG
    735.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 733.JPG
    733.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 732.JPG
    732.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 730.JPG
    730.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 729.JPG
    729.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 728.JPG
    728.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 727.JPG
    727.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 726.JPG
    726.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 725.JPG
    725.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 20
More Interior Shots

Here is a few more shots of the finished interior...looks like a battered old war plane...just like it should...I will put the blind in next to help cool it down from the sun...

Attachments

• 736.JPG
    736.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 18
  • 737.JPG
    737.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 738.JPG
    738.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 19
  • 739.JPG
    739.JPG