31 chevy cab ideas...any helping hints welcomed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70_boosted

so i bought a 31 chevy, for 600. i have a buddy with a 32 ford, and with his chop and channel(combined 8") i have nearly no leg room.

i still want the look of the chop and frame coverage of the channeled body. so i was thinking of stretching the cab behind the door jam 6-8" to give it an ext cab look but still give additional leg room. do you think it can be done, decently easy?

the pic is of actual truck. it does come with doors, grill, hood, light bar and drivetrain. let me know if this was a decent score. im still building my 42 ford, but couldnt pass this one up.

Attachments

• 5Ld5K55H13G73F83H8bckc5b5a0a66b46139b.jpg
    5Ld5K55H13G73F83H8bckc5b5a0a66b46139b.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 94
The price is fair, especially if it is titled. Old trucks were designed with the driver sitting tall, in a chair-like seat. Not much leg room. So when you lower the lid or drop the body over the frame you kill the interior room. I personally don't care for the extended cab look. But many find it just fine. It is up to you. Gregster, here on RRR, pushed the firewall out to create leg room and did an excellent job of it. If you run a hood you could move the lower firewall forward to create leg/foot room.
At any rate, nice truck. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

That's why people Z the frame... that way you don't lose legroom to the channel... especially in a truck!

BoB

Old trucks were designed with the driver sitting tall, in a chair-like seat.

New trucks are still designed that way. (or it ain't a real truck)

I've seen that extended cab idea done on a few cabs - looks good if done right. But I second the idea of Z'ing the frame over channeling.

Ive got a buddy that did a '36 cab for the leg room.He added like 5 or 6" right behind the door jamb. He used an extra door for donor metal.

How about splitting the difference. Add half of what you want behind the door and half to the cowl. That way you get your leg room and its still proportional looking. Just another thought.

That's why people Z the frame... that way you don't lose legroom to the channel... especially in a truck!

BoB

i plan to Z the frame as well as beef it up, if its good condition like he claims!

Any time you can save a old car or truck it's a great score!

Fully agree!! and my buddies 32 ford has me craving this cab with a bit of my flair in design!

At any rate, nice truck. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

i wanna hammer away at this truck, but with my 42, i may wait or work on this when i get frustrated with the 42. Tho my buddy is working on the cab of the 42, so i could get him to work on this cab as well while i do the frame Z'ing and boxing!!

Ive got a buddy that did a '36 cab for the leg room.He added like 5 or 6" right behind the door jamb. He used an extra door for donor metal.

I believe i saw a build on here, or maybe they did it to the firewall, was that your build??

How about splitting the difference. Add half of what you want behind the door and half to the cowl. That way you get your leg room and its still proportional looking. Just another thought.

love that idea, thanks for that and thats officially my plan of attack!! plus a 6" chop!!

do you have any update pic's on your truck? I building a 29ish chevy pickup. I added 6" to the back of the cab and 6" channel. But I did cut off the roof.

I would do it the hard way. I would add 2" to the cowl, 2" to the doors and then 2" to the back of the cab. Then it all still looks proportional and noone knows you added it all unless you are parked next to a stocker. [;)

I would do it the hard way. I would add 2" to the cowl, 2" to the doors and then 2" to the back of the cab. Then it all still looks proportional and noone knows you added it all unless you are parked next to a stocker. [;)

adding 2" to the cowl would be the hard way, compound angles and bodylines. I do think 3" in the doors would have been nice I keep hooking my belt loop on the door latch.

Yep, I think it might look nice with a moderate stretch through the doors and a moderate stretch behind the doors.

The little '29 RPU above is really cute looking, too! Please don't take that the wrong way, I just like the proportions you've managed-looks like it was born that way.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back