31 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox Fabrication

Will be posting the build up of my cousins 31 Chevy coupe build. He picked up this 31 Chevy as a trade for a car he lost interest in. The body is rust free...has it share of dings, dents and creases...but they just add to the look we're after.

This is going to be a pretty quick build. We want the car done (or at least 100% drivable) for a local "large" rat rod show on May 16th..so quite a few evenings and weekends to get this done are required!!! It's only the two of us so we have a lot ahead of us!

Here is a pic of the car as we got it....look pretty good...but far from it!!!!

The car came with an engine and tranny...but they are just cores...the intake and headers we had and just threw it on for pics!

First order of business was to do away with most of the frame. My cousin did not want a car slammed to the ground...more of a old school hotrod look he is after.

The original frame was over 7" in height!! he did not want to channel the car that much to hide it...(we hate it when you can see the frame of a hotrod from a side view of the body!)...so we cut the Mustang II front suspension off and built a new 2x3 frame off of that.

The 2x3 frame will tuck right up under the lower body edge and will not be seen from a side view. we only notched the front of the cowl...no full body channel...the floor is staying flat across from door to door with no channel "step".

Trying to keep this as cost effiicient as we can...the MII front suspension is going to be re-used...not our first choice..but it had all new components...and with time as a factor..it is staying!

The coupe will be running a 454 and TH400 tranny. It has a Ford 9" rear as well.

We will be using the wheels and tires (brand new) that came with the car for now...they will be changed out at a later date for something more correct...but other things are more priority now!!

Here are some pics of the body off (on its side cutting the floors for clearance of the new frame)

Will post some pics shortly of the new frame we built this past Saturday.

wow

that is a nice lookin' start. is that your'e shop in the background? looks huge!!!!

you will fall in love with the way the MII handles corners and rough roads.

l drove the shop/demostration model that my chassis is the blueprint for, on those crappy streets that nebraska has, it handled like a slot car.
fast and accurate steering and no bump steer when hitting ruts :D
be prepared for the old sckool purists to complain about the MII on your'e car.
I get flack all the time for my I F S, l run no fenders and proudly show it off to the car world.

Later[dr

Latest posts

Back