36 ford pickup w/ cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old thread but some updates

Made some changes with the truck and more to come. I was living in California the past two years and had the truck shipped out there too me for something to cruise around in and go to shows with. Decided to move home in september so the only logical thing to do is drive it back to Massachusetts. Made it in just over 4 days with out a single problem averaging 21 mpg's. It was a great time and would love to do it again. I bought another parts truck (diamond-t) thats the same as mine so come spring time ill have the matching hood and grill on this. Here's a few pics of the truck on the way cross country. The roof rack is no longer on it.
One last cruise down the PCH to Huntington beach

All packed up and ready to for the 3200 mile journey

No heat, No AC, No power anything

We left at night cause it was going to be way too hot driving through the desert. What the first half of the trip looked like

Rest in Arizona

Beautiful sunrise in Texas

Stopped at gas monkey

Arkansas had some really nice roads

Hit some rain. No wipers, and the windshield was way too flat for rain-x so the water just sat there. Had a pre-made piece of plexiglass to cover the engine that worked great.

Rain stopped so packed the tarps back up. Thats my co-pilot

Had to get another flag cause the first one fell apart over the ride. So I packed it in tote.

Somewhere in Pennsylvania getting close to new york

Over all it was a blast and would love to do it again.

Tires were much better than I expected. I actually got all 4 new ones in the rear right before we left because the ones on it had tons of flat spots. Let the new ones down to about 25lbs each and once all the weight from the cargo was in, it helped smoothen the ride out a bunch.

I just read through the whole thread, really cool build. Sounds like you had a fun time on the road trip. Cool to see you're from w. Mass, me too.

-Chris

Got started on the hood and grill yesterday. At the end of tonight i had it all mocked up and bottom brackets tacked in place. Tomorrow ill start the upper brackets and then fitting in the radiator. Also need to find an electric fan.

Any opinions on the head lights now that its changed. Thought about moving them somewhere or getting new headlights off of something like a peterbilt and mount them to the side of grill kind of like this dump truck. Any thoughts?

Even though those headlights are awesome, I am not fond of them there. To me, they look out of place. I like the idea of lights beside the grill though. If you want to sell those buckets, we NEED them badly for our Diamond T project as ours are rotten rotten.
http://www.36hillbillydeluxe.com

Looks like you had a great time going cross country!
If I may add my opinion, I think it may look more proper with the hood extended and the grille shell brought forward. I really like those lights, they may look great mounted to the grille shell if it were moved forward.

I agree with what Dirtyrat said. The front looks "empty" with just the lights there. Then again thats just my 2 cents.

-Chris

Back