366 bbc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenglish

Banned
I'm atempting to put a bbc 366 out of a 70's grain truck in my 36 chevy truck ratrod. I think this thing is called a "tall block" but I need to find a different intake manifold, the orgional one has the offset waterpump and the two water necks on the intake. So my question is does the tall block take a different manifold then a regular 396 or 454? or are the different in anyway? A tall block is just so they could make more torque right?

What he said.

Or spend some cash and buy a blower for it to wake it up

I'm atempting to put a bbc 366 out of a 70's grain truck in my 36 chevy truck ratrod. I think this thing is called a "tall block" but I need to find a different intake manifold, the orgional one has the offset waterpump and the two water necks on the intake. So my question is does the tall block take a different manifold then a regular 396 or 454? or are the different in anyway? A tall block is just so they could make more torque right?

the tall deck "truck" motor will not accept an intake from a 396, 427 pass. car or 454 without a spacer set-which IS available thru some retailers...
google it or check your favorite performance site they should steer you in the right direction...many truck-puller motors start w/tall deck blocks
truthfully tho, a mildly built small block will prob run better, but i like the "run-whatya-brung" philosophy so if i had one i'd use it, too

BTW many people won't be able to recognize the difference between that 366 and a 454 at a casual glance-esp. if you switch that manifold!

I had a 366 in my hay truck in the 70's, when the motor went, I found out it was not worth replacing. Not that great of a motor. Parts are hard to find, and after market parts even harder.

intake

preacher is correct you can find a spacer set for these. eventhough I agree on the run what ya brung, i feel that this thing will end up costing more than you would get out of it. I'm a sbc guy so that would be my first choice but i am going with an old 350 hp motor in my 53 chevy 1/2 ton because i got a great deal (free) on it. there are still plenty of odd ball engines you can build and enjoy alot more.

:)

ya Im going to "run what I brung", it was free so I'm not out anything yet...lol. BUT, I dont really have to change the manifold per say, but I dont want to run that offset fan set-up w/Giant waterpump, but now the more I think about it the more I might just do that and run an electric fan...lol. I'm not looking to build a giant powerhouse, I have a blown 350 if I wanted to use it..but what fun is that...lol. thanks for the responces!

I would leave intake manifold with the two necks and take my radiator to a radiator shop and have them put another neck on the top so you can run both hoses. Just as long as you have a cooper/brass radiator.

Any way you could post a pic of this intake? I've never seen one with two thermostat housings...

I have a bud who has a tall-deck 427 he's going to use in his tubbed '79 LeMans, one day, when the car's finished...;)

Regards,
Shea[dr

edit-P.S. The tall-deck engines also require a long shaft distributor, or so I've been told.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back