37 IHC Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right man. I'm so close to goin for a ride I can't hardly sleep. Maybe Tim will let us use his shop to finish ours. Well Tim??? I know... I know ... no more room right?hahaha
Hey, ya'll just show up, I'll make room..and supply the beer:D:D

Truck really looks good rolled outside..

I've came to a sort of a stall on mine. I've had my 73 Camaro on jack stands for the past few mo.s now. Put the trans back in it over the weekend. Got to finish a few little things, then back on the Binder. Got to get the Camaro moving so i can take the cab off and finish the frame and the welds on the bottom floor braces.

Hang in there Tyster...You'll get back to it. It's hard to stay on these projects when life and other things get in the way. Just keep posting updates on your build thread...it helps to keep me going.

looks good:D

l am glad ya went with the blackwalls...l think they are just perfect on this truck[cl

Later:cool:

Thanks Skull! The more I look at it the more I'm like'n the blackwalls.

Hey, ya'll just show up, I'll make room..and supply the beer:D:D

Truck really looks good rolled outside..

Careful Tim...you're going to have about fifty guys in line to use your garage and drink all of your beer...you should at least put a B.Y.O.B. out there!

Thanks for the props! Going to be working on the cab over that next several days..."Sheet Metal Work"....my Kryptonite! :D

-Troy

Not too much progress...mounted the steering box. Have I mentioned that I like through bolts? Took some time because it's been so hot in the garage. Every 10 minutes working I spent 5 minutes cooling down. At least I got it done.

I'm still stalling on the sheet metal work! Not ready to face my kryptonite!:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 83
I think the heat has broke hear finally. Well at least it's not in the mid 90's i mean. Lookin' good. Gonna get back on mine this week.

Nice looking work. I like the use of cross steer. Is all the frame/suspension design just come out of your head, fabricate as you go?

Thanks for the props FR! I did a lot of pre-planning before I started building the frame. I knew that I wanted hairpins up front and tri-angulated in the back. I also called the companies that I was going to purchase the suspension pieces from to get measurements on all the components. It gave me a rough idea of where my ride height would be and how to design the frame. Then I mocked it up using wood and took measurements for everything. About the only thing I didn't plan was the center and rear cross members. If I could do anything different it would have been to get all the suspension, tires and rims before I started anything...but everything worked out just as I wanted so all the planning paid off.[cl

Thanks again for checking my build!

-Troy

I think the heat has broke hear finally. Well at least it's not in the mid 90's i mean. Lookin' good. Gonna get back on mine this week.

Tyster, my shop has been in the upper ninties for that past two months...man it keeps me from working for very long without stopping to cool down.:eek:
Thanks for the props! Post some updates of your build when you can...looking forward to see how your ride develops and turns out!

-Troy

Last edited:
Good and bad night at the shop tonight. First the other day I found a good deal on a windshield frame on ebay. I've seen a lot of these on ebay and at swap meets...none of them even worth fixing because of rust. I even talked to a bunch of IHC guys on a different forum and they all say "Good luck finding one without any rust through". Well...I found one!:D This thing is solid! Took it apart tonight and there is only surface rust! So that's the good.

The bad...well I actually started to weld the chop back together tonight when I found some lead work that had been done on the A-Pillar right in the same location that I made the chop! (insert 4 letter word here!!) :mad::mad::mad:

So it looks like I'll have to graft a piece of sheet metal in where the lead work was done. Good times! Oh well...not much I can do about it now. You can see in the picture where I took a screw dirver and etched the lead to confirm it.

Any of you sheet metal / body guys out there want to come down to sunny Florida and take care of this more me? The pay sucks, it's hotter than Haiti's and there's a mean pit bull that roams around the shop parking lot, but the beer is cold and the BS always flows! :D

-Troy

Attachments

• 2011-08-29_21-39-40_211.jpg
    2011-08-29_21-39-40_211.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2011-08-29_21-48-28_891.jpg
    2011-08-29_21-48-28_891.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 2011-08-29_21-40-12_857.jpg
    2011-08-29_21-40-12_857.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2011-08-29_21-39-25_138.jpg
    2011-08-29_21-39-25_138.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 33
Good and bad night at the shop tonight. First the other day I found a good deal on a windshield frame on ebay. I've seen a lot of these on ebay and at swap meets...none of them even worth fixing because of rust. I even talked to a bunch of IHC guys on a different forum and they all say "Good luck finding one without any rust through". Well...I found one!:D This thing is solid! Took it apart tonight and there is only surface rust! So that's the good.

The bad...well I actually started to weld the chop back together tonight when I found some lead work that had been done on the A-Pillar right in the same location that I made the chop! (insert 4 letter word here!!) :mad::mad::mad:

So it looks like I'll have to graft a piece of sheet metal in where the lead work was done. Good times! Oh well...not much I can do about it now. You can see in the picture where I took a screw dirver and etched the lead to confirm it.

Any of you sheet metal / body guys out there want to come down to sunny Florida and take care of this more me? The pay sucks, it's hotter than Haiti's and there's a mean pit bull that roams around the shop parking lot, but the beer is cold and the BS always flows! :D

-Troy

Just take a lil propane torch and a wire brush to that I had the same thing on my 42 chevy and yeah it sux but a lil time with the torch and wire brush and i got it all out of there :)

I have a lead repair to work around on my '41 binder. I'm not sure how I'm going to work around it. You know it's old body work when you uncover lead. If you were to melt the lead and brush it away it would seem to me you still couldn't weld the steel parts due to lead tinning. I'm open to suggestions.

Just take a lil propane torch and a wire brush to that I had the same thing on my 42 chevy and yeah it sux but a lil time with the torch and wire brush and i got it all out of there :)
The factory used lead back in the day to fill body joints on all these cars, there's still guys around who can do lead work as good as any body filler guy.
This is the way to do it it'll weld fine the tinning won't hurt [cl
I had the same thing on my 40 chop. Angle grinder with coarse wire brush will take all it out down to bare metal ;)

Jim

I have a lead repair to work around on my '41 binder. I'm not sure how I'm going to work around it. You know it's old body work when you uncover lead. If you were to melt the lead and brush it away it would seem to me you still couldn't weld the steel parts due to lead tinning. I'm open to suggestions.

The factory used lead back in the day to fill body joints on all these cars, there's still guys around who can do lead work as good as any body filler guy.
This is the way to do it it'll weld fine the tinning won't hurt [cl
I had the same thing on my 40 chop. Angle grinder with coarse wire brush will take all it out down to bare metal ;)

Jim

Thanks for the input guys. There seems to be very little steel underneath the lead so I'm guessing that this was some type of repair work done back in the day. I'll take a torch to it tomorrow night to see exactly what is there. I love body work...it's a lot like putting a hand over fire...I grit my teeth the whole time and wish I was somewhere else! :D

I'll keep you guys posted!
-Troy

I had lead around my A pillars and along the lower part of my rear window and I just used my lil propane torch and a stiff wire brush to get all the lead out and then wipe it down with some paint prep and it welded just fine bud :)

Thanks for the input guys. There seems to be very little steel underneath the lead so I'm guessing that this was some type of repair work done back in the day. I'll take a torch to it tomorrow night to see exactly what is there. I love body work...it's a lot like putting a hand over fire...I grit my teeth the whole time and wish I was somewhere else! :D

I'll keep you guys posted!
-Troy

If the steel is thin there make sure to use a piece of 1x1 square tubin inside the A pillar for more stability or if it real thin just cut that area out and make a patch piece to weld in there but still use the 1x1 tubing

If the steel is thin there make sure to use a piece of 1x1 square tubin inside the A pillar for more stability or if it real thin just cut that area out and make a patch piece to weld in there but still use the 1x1 tubing

Thanks LD 13...I was think that I'd need to make a patch piece because the steel looked a little thin...I'll know more tomorrow night when remove the lead. I like the idea of using some type of backing there as well. I'll keep you guys posted. Have I mentioned how much I love sheet metal work? :D

-Troy

Really diggin the build. I think yer movin along great! I noticed on the engine pic that yer runnin it on alcohol. LOL:D Keep the pics a comin. Its inspirational. RR[P

Really diggin the build. I think yer movin along great! I noticed on the engine pic that yer runnin it on alcohol. LOL:D Keep the pics a comin. Its inspirational. RR[P

Thanks Rodney! Yeah I figured since I run on alcohol I might as well make my build do the same! :D Been following your build as well. The exhaust stacks are awesome![cl

Made a little more progess today with the top of the cab...took a long time because I'm terrible with body work and sheet metal work. And I'm sure a proper contour gauage would disagree with my efforts, but it's good enough for me and a little hammer work will make it look even better.

Heading to Webster, FL. tomorrow for a swap meet/car show to find some parts.

-Troy

Attachments

• 2011-09-03_16-22-43_484.jpg
    2011-09-03_16-22-43_484.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 2011-09-03_16-22-58_171.jpg
    2011-09-03_16-22-58_171.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2011-09-03_16-23-08_162.jpg
    2011-09-03_16-23-08_162.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 60
  • 2011-09-03_16-23-21_451.jpg
    2011-09-03_16-23-21_451.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011-09-03_16-23-48_517.jpg
    2011-09-03_16-23-48_517.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 2011-09-03_16-23-59_232.jpg
    2011-09-03_16-23-59_232.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 58
I don't see anything wrong with your body/sheet metal work, other that your making more progress lately than me. LOL

Looking good.

Ty

I don't see anything wrong with your body/sheet metal work, other that your making more progress lately than me. LOL

Looking good.

Ty

Buddy, I think the roof line looks good. We are always our worst critic. Keep up the good work.[cl

Thanks Ty and Blacksheep! It only took 5 tries to cut that piece of sheet metal and I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to get it tacked in...but hey...it's good enough for me!:D I'm going to try and tackle the a-pillars and gas tank filler hole tomorrow...maybe even some of the firewall. Really want to get this body work out of the way and get on to the bed and gas tank. Engine is going to machine shop within a couple of weeks. Next week I'll be rebuilding a steering column that I picked up today.

Stay tuned!

-Troy

Latest posts

Back