38 Fiat Topolino build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your hiem on the frame end of your bones able to rotate . Ive forgot to use spacers and had trouble.

I will be using spacers but have not put them in. Plenty of room around the ball in the Heim. Thats not where the bind is coming from.

As bonehead says, it may be enough travel, but I am one of those guys that has to know why it does what it does, and so far I just dont get it. I will be spending some more time with it tomorrow and maybe it will become clear.

Thanks for the help guys, and if you think of something else, bring it on.

I did a little searching and learned something. Huh, imagine that. Split wishbones dont allow the axle to independently move. Makes total sense to me now that know whats going on. The movement I was getting was the slop in the loose bolts and the temporary (too small diameter) pins in the axle at the front of the split bones. Lots of stories of frame brackets breaking and sheared perch pins.

Its only been done on a zillion hotrods, so I think I will continue with my current design. I dont like the possibility of breaking something though. Ya never know, might switch to a 4 link before its over.

update-
Frame is fully welded, only missing a cross member and some brackets.

Just think of the split wishbones as an "anti-roll bar". Then you can enjoy the flat cornering and not worry. As light as your Fiat is, the suspension parts are probably overbuilt enough to withstand the strain. As you said, it's been done a jillion times. I was in the woods in my back acre yesterday and I swear my Fiat body flipped me off for abandoning it there.:D

Its been done a zillion times or a Jillion times. I need the facts.:D
Thanks for the words of confidence, Bob. It makes me feel better.
Mine flips me off all the time, I just threaten it with more HP, then I ignore it.

Thanks Gastrick.

Update-
Made the 4 bar brackets for the rearend today. Not quite finished yet but well on thier way. Pics soon.

Got some things done.
Cut the rearend to correct width and got it hanging on its own 4 links. Confirmed the travel, pinion angle, and shock travel. The housing is only tacked together till I get the fixture made to weld it back together.

Exaust and water will be running through the holes in the cross members. Exaust 2 1/2" steel tubing and water maybe 2" or 1 1/2" aluminum or copper tubing.

Front spring is next.:D:D

Attachments

• 100_2200.jpg
    100_2200.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_2218.jpg
    100_2218.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_2226.jpg
    100_2226.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_2229.jpg
    100_2229.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_2230.jpg
    100_2230.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45
Hey what program is it that you used to make these on? I've been looking for something to do this with but can't find anything that does what I'm looking for.

Here are some screen shots from my 3D modeling program that I explored possibilities in while waiting for the new shop and a place to work on it.

Nothing special here, just learning what I could learn about what could go where and what it might look like.

I have 10 or 12 completely different models I have created and abandon over the last several months.

I use a program called SolidEdge. Solid works, Inventor and some others are ok too. It takes a couple hundred hours to get reasonable good but you learn as you go. I couldnt do surfaces (the body) untill I needed the body in the model, then I had a reason to learn how to do it.

I've got to start looking back through threads that have moved on, I have been missing most of this one. Man MD, that REALLY is impressive. Not only nice work, but well thought out too. Lotsa stuff to pack into a little TOPO body, huh? :D:D:D

Don

Thanks Guys. Thats nice to hear.

Some more progress. Got the frame back in the car for final adjustments. Looks great so far.
Installed the front wheel studs in the holes I drilled for the front wheels I have. Did some machining on the Buick Hub and installed new wheel bearings. I also installed the F2 backing plates but there is a slight collision (easy fix) I will put those on later. I must have assemblied and dissassembled all those parts 10 times making everything work with everything else.
New King pins.
Started front spring perch that will also mount the nose of the body, low in the front.
I am going to put the stock louvers back on the hood. Then finish the opening all the way around the tunnel ram. I should look pretty smooth.

Thats all for now. I am stoked.:D

Attachments

• 100_2253.jpg
    100_2253.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_2254.jpg
    100_2254.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_2255.jpg
    100_2255.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_2260.jpg
    100_2260.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_2265.jpg
    100_2265.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 40
Here is one good headlight idea and one goofy one.

Can you tell which is which?

Attachments

• 100_2252.jpg
    100_2252.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_2248.jpg
    100_2248.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_2249.jpg
    100_2249.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 42
I needed to center the pinion in the car. After lots of measuring I cut both tubes off the center housing (Gound the welds and pulled them apart. The center section is piloted into the tubes).
I switched sides with the tubes and one of my 31 spline axles is the perfect length and the other needs to be shortened about 4.5" and that puts the overall width correct and the pinion centered in the car.
Its all tacked back together while I work out a few things and confirm everything.

I was a little suprised that just by flipping the tubes it would center the pinion and one of my axles just fit..:confused: Couldnt have been much simpler.:D

I drilled nice 3" holes in the 4 plates that go on the rearend. When I went to install them, they wouldlnt fit!! The tubes on this rearend were 3.125" . I guess its a heavy duty one.

Congratulations Zoooomer.

Yep, we new he sold it, but that is all. Read your HamB thread, looks like you are well on your way now. It is a fine project, and will be a hoot to drive. Thanks for posting up, and welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Back