'39 dodge truck powered by a 6.7 cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little update

Well I have made some progress. Inside 'fish' plates are complete. Rear wiring, air compressor and lines pretty well complete. Fuel tanks tacked up and should be getting the motor and trans back in tomorrow and continue on with wiring and plumbing. I'm getting pretty excited now as I can see the end in the distance.

Here is the next step. Oh joy.

My little helper, Gunzen.

That's all for now. I still need to source a steering box and figure that out but all in good time.

Last edited:
Looking good! And if you forget how you did something or where you put something just ask Gunzen!!![cl That boy looks like he's really paying attention...

The boy makes things more interesting. He likes picking things up and relocating them when I'm not looking.
Got the engine and trans back in along with the wiring. What a mess of wires but I think I have them where they need to go. Finished the welding on the fuel tanks. I have to figure out how to install the lift pump in the one fuel tank and while I'm figuring that out I started to tackle the plumbing.
Still trying to track down a power steering box but got my hands on a manual one for mock up so I'll be taking a look at that soon.

Ureka. We have power.

That's a cool build but I wouldn't want anything to do with the wiring menagerie you have to deal with....:eek:...no offense but after dealing with wiring all my life, I needed a break from it and went simple. :D

The wiring appeared worse than it actually is. Once I got the harnesses plugged back in it was just a matter of getting them tucked away. For the most part I just put the harnesses back where they came from in the original truck. To me that was easier than the simple way. I'm electric illiterate and it's something I never had any interest in learning. However the next build I would like to be much more "simple" and not cost me so much. This one has to be one of the most expensive builds I have seen around as most guys do it on the cheap. I personally admire what people come up with when their resources are limited.
Smallfoot you definitely kept it simple. That A of yours is one of the coolest "from nothing" builds I have seen.
I figure if I can get the boy involved as soon as possible he can help me find all the nuts and bolts that are supposed to hold this thing together.:p

:eek: I just realized what the frame rails were [cl :cool:

image_53.jpg

I used pretty much the whole frame from the 2011 dodge minus a few feet. The front frame just slowly came to me after many hours of pondering. The legs came first, then I needed to figure out fish plates. After much pondering and the original frame shape, the arch of a woman's back and backside just seemed to fit. My welder buddy figures the top control arm resembles a stripper pole. I never really thought about that aspect but I think he's onto something.
Here is the whole frame. There's a kitchen sink sitting on top of the rear section waiting for buddy to pick up. Said he needed a parts washer.[S

I appreciate the kind words Gunzenroza! Although I wasn't trying to go cheap, I imagine my total cash outlay for parts on my system beat the cost of most harnesses. I went simple for some of that 20/20 foresight which rarely happens. My fuse panel is behind a door that looks like a second glove box and I can sit in the drivers seat and access all of it. Some of the older fellers around here probably can relate to how much of a pain it is to get out, kneel on the ground and twist and turn to access a fuse panel stuck up on the inside firewall under the dash...of course one hand has to be busy with a flashlight too...heheh! Your build is looking great and I didn't mean to offend...

No offence takin here man, it's all good.
By cheap I meant the overall build using resources to keep costs lower. It wasn't a dig by no means. And by simple I meant no computerized crap. This engine needs every strand of wire just to start. I spent three days last year slicing wires back together until the engine would start again. Lesson learned. I need an oil feed line to my turbo before I start the engine and no one in town is open today. Thanks giving Sunday here in Canada, football and Turkey.

Cheers

It's alive!

Well I got the engine running. Started right up like a cold winter morning and ran well. Now it's time to take a little break before I make it steer and stop.
all in all a good time at home for the past few weeks. Now it's time to head south for the winter.

Sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like how it sounded. A little loud but I'll work on that at some point.

That's always a good feeling.

Best feeling so far. Things are getting closer to the day I can roll it out of the garage on its own power.
I'm already thinking about the next project. Trying not to distract myself too much as to lose interest in the current one.

I like how it sounded. A little loud but I'll work on that at some point.

Best feeling so far. Things are getting closer to the day I can roll it out of the garage on its own power.
I'm already thinking about the next project. Trying not to distract myself too much as to lose interest in the current one.

Don't even START thinking about the next project. Or at least if you do, force yourself to wait to turn a single wrench till this one is done.
I've had about 4 other projects in the middle of mine, and now I regret letting mine sit and wait so long, when I could have been using it to lick up parts for the other projects, in style!
Once I get home I'll watch your video.
I've been wanting to watch it all day, but work is killing that time. And I need a screen worth watching on. :)

Don't even START thinking about the next project. Or at least if you do, force yourself to wait to turn a single wrench till this one is done.
I've had about 4 other projects in the middle of mine, and now I regret letting mine sit and wait so long, when I could have been using it to lick up parts for the other projects, in style!
Once I get home I'll watch your video.
I've been wanting to watch it all day, but work is killing that time. And I need a screen worth watching on. :)

Too late....

'35 plymouth sedan is now on deck. I'll follow your advice JML. No wrenches turned on this one till I'm driving the first one. I just couldn't pass this car up being a mopar guy.

Too late....

'35 plymouth sedan is now on deck. I'll follow your advice JML. No wrenches turned on this one till I'm driving the first one. I just couldn't pass this car up being a mopar guy.

Well I never said you couldn't collect for the next project :)
I've got a 3rd generation camaro and a totaled Avalanche for my turbo 5.3l project.
But it's just collecting dust for now.
Also have a sportster with big plans, but this rat has got to be done first.

Good lookin car btw!

Latest posts

Back